Sponsored

Suspension help after whipple install

Darkhelmet22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White 5.0
So, my new 2018 got the whipple treatment. I swapped all my suspension from my 2015 car over when i bought it. Mods are:
BMR SP080 springs with steeda fixed struts/shocks and billet rear shock mounts
GT350R sway bars and BMR front end links
Steeda 2 point front subframe brace
BMR level 2 cradle lock out
Ford toe/knuckle bearings
Car is a PP car as well but the strut tower brace is gone since it doesn't clear the whipple

Car has 305 pilot super sports on the rear and that's a whole other conversation.

I understand on the street I'm going to spin but what Im scared of now is how violent the oversteer is. I'm not sure if its the added weight in the front and the combo of sway bars or what but I can't keep this thing straight to save my life. What's a good place to start? Need some ideas...
Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
So, my new 2018 got the whipple treatment. I swapped all my suspension from my 2015 car over when i bought it. Mods are:
BMR SP080 springs with steeda fixed struts/shocks and billet rear shock mounts
GT350R sway bars and BMR front end links
Steeda 2 point front subframe brace
BMR level 2 cradle lock out
Ford toe/knuckle bearings
Car is a PP car as well but the strut tower brace is gone since it doesn't clear the whipple

Car has 305 pilot super sports on the rear and that's a whole other conversation.

I understand on the street I'm going to spin but what Im scared of now is how violent the oversteer is. I'm not sure if its the added weight in the front and the combo of sway bars or what but I can't keep this thing straight to save my life. What's a good place to start? Need some ideas...
What is your definition of oversteer? When are the tires breaking loose (straight line, exiting turn, mid-turn, or all of the time)? And...what are the road conditions and ambient temperatures in your area?

OP
OP

Darkhelmet22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White 5.0
What is your definition of oversteer? When are the tires breaking loose (straight line, exiting turn, mid-turn, or all of the time)? And...what are the road conditions and ambient temperatures in your area?
Allll the time lol. Road conditions vary between concrete and slick ass black top. Oversteer is, in a straight line I spin and almost instantly get sideways.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Maybe you need some wider rear and sticker tires. Maybe something in the extreme performance category.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe you need some wider rear and sticker tires. Maybe something in the extreme performance category.
Bigger or stickier tires will help from loosing traction for sure. But he shouldn’t be going sideways under straight-line acceleration with a Torsen LSD unless the alignment is off or his rear bar’s bushings are locked tight.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You're not going to like this, but . . .

Squeeze, don't stomp, on the skinny pedal that sits next to the transmission tunnel.

There are lots of throttle positions between idle and WOT. Use all of them, aka throttle modulation. This got a whole lot more important once that Whipple went on.

In fact, if your tune has tip-in response that's as sensitive as you're saying it is, get it dialed back/toned down. Now. You've been proving that there really is such a thing as "too much throttle response".

Norm

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Bigger or stickier tires will help from loosing traction for sure. But he shouldn’t be going sideways under straight-line acceleration with a Torsen LSD unless the alignment is off or his rear bar’s bushings are locked tight.
Agreed but I was gonna let someone with better suspension knowledge chime in on that aspect. I felt the tire advice would be useful as well.

OP
OP

Darkhelmet22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White 5.0
Alignment is fine but I was going to recheck it to see if the weight from the whipple changed anything. Im not just stomping the pedal but I am however trying to get used to the new shifting. The whipple tune was very soft when shifting and the new Lund tune is..... aggressive.... lol. I am trying to use more throttle modulation and Im absolutely not smashing the pedal but you gotta love PD blowers and their instant boost. Im also using manual shift mode more to try and get things more manageable. As far as tires I know Im going to have to run a very aggressive tire to have any type of traction but just not sure what route I want to go with that yet.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Just out of curiosity, when it goes sideways, which way does it typically go? Does the passenger side rear end tend to come around on you?

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Alignment is fine but I was going to recheck it to see if the weight from the whipple changed anything. Im not just stomping the pedal but I am however trying to get used to the new shifting. The whipple tune was very soft when shifting and the new Lund tune is..... aggressive.... lol. I am trying to use more throttle modulation and Im absolutely not smashing the pedal but you gotta love PD blowers and their instant boost. Im also using manual shift mode more to try and get things more manageable. As far as tires I know Im going to have to run a very aggressive tire to have any type of traction but just not sure what route I want to go with that yet.
I doubt the whipple changed your alignment much (maybe a bit more negative camber and toe-out on the fronts) but the massive increase in power will highlight deficiencies that you have in camber, toe, or thrust angle issues. Symmetry is key for big power. An aligment is a $100 check as opposed to throwing hundreds of dollars of parts at the problem.

OP
OP

Darkhelmet22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White 5.0
I doubt the whipple changed your alignment much (maybe a bit more negative camber and toe-out on the fronts) but the massive increase in power will highlight deficiencies that you have in camber, toe, or thrust angle issues. Symmetry is key for big power. An aligment is a $100 check as opposed to throwing hundreds of dollars of parts at the problem.
I’m a Lexus tech, I get to do alignments anytime I want lol. I’ll check it soon but I bet it’s fine.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m a Lexus tech, I get to do alignments anytime I want lol. I’ll check it soon but I bet it’s fine.
Fair enough. If you’re confident it’s good then try greasing your rear swaybar bushings to be sure they aren’t locking up. Other then that, I defer to Norm’s guidance.
Sponsored