Sponsored

Supercharging

Madlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Having sorted out the rest of the batting order, the one remaining slot to fill is a supercharged automatic - which I'm really looking forward to given how well the Coyote/Roadrunner takes to supercharging and how well the 6R-80 can manage so much power.

It's about as robust a package as exists. And unlike almost anything else that puts out and down so much power so well at several times the price, it just runs and runs and runs - barring any gross operator stupidity.

I'll be adding a 2.9L Whipple to yield more than 700 at the flywheel and nearly as many pound feet of torque. Because hooking up already can be a challenge even with the stock engine and calibration and all the additional power in the world becomes useless without the ability to link the crank to the pavement, not to mention the potential safety implications of being able to break loose the rear in almost any gear at almost any RPM, managing the torque without limiting its output is my first priority - without commissioning someone to develop a bespoke tune that only I am left standing behind.

Because my GT Automatic has the Performance Package, it also has 3.55 final drive gearing for a quicker power hit off the line. Because changing the final drive gearing also is the quickest and easiest way to impact torque at the wheel, I've been thinking about changing to the base 3.15 final drive gearing to give back a little torque (which still would be able to overwhelm the tires' ability to stay connected to the pavement) to make the power more manageable without needing to rely on traction control and the ABS system to keep things under control. The net effect also should gain back about 20mph of potential top end speed before bumping up against the rev limiter or falling out of the peak power band.

Going taller on gearing generally runs contrary to conventional Mustang practice (if not wisdom - which only are VERY loosely related). I'm much more concerned about how the car will use the power rather than simply how much power it puts out.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has adopted a similar strategy and similarly reduced their final drive gearing ratio for the sake of better power management and performance. Of course, experience doing so with an S550 would be the most relevant and welcome, but the principle is no less valid or applicable to an S197 (whose solid axle actually may yield more dramatic improvements).

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Interesting. How did you get an auto with PP? I get 3:55 with an auto as that is an option, but PP comes with 3:73 gears.

I have 3:15 auto to get better mileage since it is my daily driver. My Corvette has similar power and I went from 3:23 to 3:73 to take advantage of the power. It it was mine and you want power, stay with the 3:55 or go to PP 3:73 with the Torsen.

Storm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197 Mustang
I believe the 50th anniversary package comes with auto and pp. Only way to get it currently.

For the gear ratios, I've seen around here that most supercharged go for 3.15/3.55. That way you can stay in your power band longer with the added power (especially if centri).

Also, I checked the drag times (http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16739) and it does look like that holds true at the strip too.

Waldo Jeffers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible automatic MY 2017
The Euro version of the Mustang GT has the performance package added as a stock feature and they also come standard with a 1:3,55 final gear ratio with stock manual trans or optional auto.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
The Euro version of the Mustang GT has the performance package added as a stock feature and they also come standard with a 1:3,55 final gear ratio with stock manual trans or optional auto.
His profile says that he is "all over", so it be an EU car.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Madlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Interesting. How did you get an auto with PP? I get 3:55 with an auto as that is an option, but PP comes with 3:73 gears.

I have 3:15 auto to get better mileage since it is my daily driver. My Corvette has similar power and I went from 3:23 to 3:73 to take advantage of the power. It it was mine and you want power, stay with the 3:55 or go to PP 3:73 with the Torsen.
If maximizing fuel economy were my primary goal, I'd drive something electric or a 1.0L EcoBoost Fiesta. Your Corvette yields >700hp at the flywheel? What are its transmission's ratios and rear tire diameter? Comparing just final drive ratios across entirely different cars is meaningless.

The challenge is that so much power easily is enough to overwhelm almost any available ratio. So, unless choosing a taller final drive ratio in concert with supercharging makes the power delivery more manageable to any meaningful degree, it wouldn't make much sense.

That's why I'd like to learn from someone who had similar concerns if they derived the particular benefit they were trying to achieve from doing the same thing. If it were a matter of power versus economy (or even VMAX), I'd just grab the lowest ratio final drive gear and run with it. But I'd be caring only about how quickly I could transform rubber into smoke if I did - which I don't.

I believe the 50th anniversary package comes with auto and pp. Only way to get it currently.
We have a winner!

Especially because Ford, in a further fit of asininity, doesn’t offer Brembos as an S550 FSO despite brakes being the first and most important thing to improve even without increasing engine output, the Limited Edition Automatics are among the very best S550 GTs to own. They offer something no other North American S550 GT can provide – which very few seemed to appreciate at the time.

Why Ford then would leave its collective head up its oval-shaped backside enough NOT to include Reverse Parking Sensors and Adaptive Cruise for what supposedly was an homage to commemorate such an iconic milestone, even just to deny people like me anything negative to say, is a mystery. But that’s a different harangue altogether.

For the gear ratios, I've seen around here that most supercharged go for 3.15/3.55. That way you can stay in your power band longer with the added power (especially if centri).

Also, I checked the drag times (http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16739) and it does look like that holds true at the strip too.
Both ratios will “work”, but not without substantially shifting the power band region in which they operate. The effective difference may be most pronounced in concert with the shortest ratios (lowest transmission gears), but not without affecting them all.

I’m not particularly interested in published “drag times” because those cars usually also include a whole slew of other modifications like wheel and tire and rear suspension setups that are designed for the drag strip and render moot any comparisons to other cars for anything else.

True.

Yet, despite the cornucopia of more and better features and combinations Ford makes available to export markets, many of which aren’t available at home and some export cars can’t be gotten without, pisses me off to no end (as it should royally piss off every consumer in Mustang’s home and original market), this is not one of them.

U.S. & CANADIAN MUSTANG OWNERS' LIVES MATTER!
:ford:

His profile says that he is "all over", so it be an EU car.
Be that as it may, it not be an EU car. Nor is it any other export type.

Why must so many presume and suppose rather than accepting at face value? Good grief! :doh:

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Yet, despite the cornucopia of more and better features and combinations Ford makes available to export markets
I know I'm not adding anything to the discourse, but you could not be more wrong with that statement

supercharged680

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 arriving in septemebr
I am in the same boat as you, i was at the Ford dealer here in Dubai who covers the whole country, sadly we have 1 dealer per manufacture here.

The only option we have here is the 3.55 for both MT and AT, base and premium options. I have searched online almost everywhere for a 3.15 ratio with 0 luck, lethal performance has it listed but there is no ETA.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Is the goal here to hook up with stock wheels and tires with the Whipple? Cause if that's the case you're going to be in for a bad time no matter what else you do. I spin in first (on the street, anyway) but hook in second and I have 3.73s and make more power than you will. 11 inch rims and sticky rubber is a good start. I'd do that over swapping gears first, IMO. Not saying you need drag radials but better Summer tires are a must.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Be that as it may, it not be an EU car. Nor is it any other export type.

Why must so many presume and suppose rather than accepting at face value? Good grief! :doh:
You're not helping anyone by having a vague reference to your location, might as well leave it blank.:doh:
Sponsored