Subwoofer Upgrade

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Awesome that you guys are coming up with good replacements subs using the factory enclosure... it sure opens up options for those wanting more bass! :headbang:
Sponsored

barok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Thinking of just simply replacing the speakers myself. Does the mounting holes align with the Pioneers?

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
Thinking of just simply replacing the speakers myself. Does the mounting holes align with the Pioneers?
Sure looks like it in the pictures
I think thats the one I will go with when I upgrade

toLerancia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG 5.0L GT PREMIUM 2015 RED
My experience is similar to what chef's has stated with his subwoofer. The pioneer sub hits harder and with better quality compared to the stock subwoofer, it's not a crazy difference just very noticeable.

If your keeping your stock radio & amp the pioneer is a good cheap option for just $65 on amazon. It also looks good in it, like it came already with the car.

You will need to drill holes for it as it does not align with stock mounting spots. Just put the sub in the shaker box with outer cover, center it, mark with pencil & drill.

Very happy with it and simple install.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Hey guys, I currently have a sub and enclosure with amp in my base GT, but want to install a shaker sub, amp and enclosure (have all this waiting to go in). My question is, can I wire the stock plug to my existing power wire from the battery and RCA's from my LOC? Below is a pic of the stock plug. I assume the two larger wires are power and ground, but what are the other 3? Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Hey guys, I currently have a sub and enclosure with amp in my base GT, but want to install a shaker sub, amp and enclosure (have all this waiting to go in). My question is, can I wire the stock plug to my existing power wire from the battery and RCA's from my LOC? Below is a pic of the stock plug. I assume the two larger wires are power and ground, but what are the other 3? Any help is appreciated!

Need a little more info...
Is that the plug to your amp?
What kind (model) of amp is it?

toLerancia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG 5.0L GT PREMIUM 2015 RED
Bought 3/4" inch tweeter same a s stock tweeter size to avoid outside install or modding the pillar. But i still had to do light modding to the pillar anyways. It has edges around the pillar and plastics behind that would only fit in with a mustang stock tweeter. Simple fix i just got rid of the plastic on the back and reduced the edges so i can use them to insert the jbl's GTO19T mounting stuff on them

In the end i really like the look after all and that i can swivel them around to point them wherever i want to while staying put/solid in its position., crossover were kinda big but was able to hide em without issue.

Now it sounds clear and very crisp especially for rock, salsa etc... now i can hear some instrument i did not hear with the stockers, so very worth it!
rsz_20170311_144923.jpg
rsz_20170311_164245_hdr.jpg
rsz_1120170311_165019_hdr.jpg

Last edited:

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Nice... looks like it belongs there!

Sponsored

ssj92

Photon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
Ordered the Pioneer sub. I listen to a lot of metal, hopefully this will help give it a bit more punch.
Let us know how it sounds! I've been thinking of going with the Pioneer as well.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
That is the factory plug that connects to the amp on the shaker sub.
@ponie1992 ,

I found this which seems to match the wiring on your plug;

Subwoofer (+/-)
purple/grn - green/wht (preamp); pur/red (turn-on) +,-; + amplifier above driver kick, gray 16 pin plug, pins 1 - 2; 9

On the two larger wires, I would agree that one is power and one is ground, but can't say which is which. Since I have a factory sub and I'll be working on my car today, I'll try to measure them.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
@ponie1992 ,

I found this which seems to match the wiring on your plug;

Subwoofer (+/-)
purple/grn - green/wht (preamp); pur/red (turn-on) +,-; + amplifier above driver kick, gray 16 pin plug, pins 1 - 2; 9

On the two larger wires, I would agree that one is power and one is ground, but can't say which is which. Since I have a factory sub and I'll be working on my car today, I'll try to measure them.
So, could I get the preamp signal from a rear speaker and then use my existing remote wire to signal the amp to power on? Then use my existing power and ground to feed the amp?

OP
OP
Chef jpd

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful with that, the factory power wire is probably way to small for any serious amp.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Be careful with that, the factory power wire is probably way to small for any serious amp.
I'm talking about using my existing amp power wire, not the amp itself.
Sponsored