Sponsored

Subwoofer Upgrade

chipmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT premium
Get a single 10" and a new amp, will provide better low end over stock. My stock sub is still connected along with JL 10" in the spare tire area.
Where are you getting the signal from for your amp, sub(pre or post amp) or rear speakers?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
I got it from the rear speakers under the seat, tried pulling from the stock sub both before and after the sub amp but sounded better from the rears. Bass knob in the console, MTX amp mounted behind the stock sub and new sub is where the spare tire would be. Open the trunk and it all looks stock.

chipmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT premium
Thanks. I can't wait to get started. I may have to wait til after summer, garage is 100F+ for next 4 months. Thank God for remote start.

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
Performed the subwoofer swap today. I think it sounds great!

Plan to replace everything but the center channel speaker this weekend. I used Crutchfield's information for all the speakers but found their prices were significantly higher than Amazon.

I went with all Rockford Fosgate.
R1675S R1 components for the doors.
P132 3.5 for doors.
R1675X2 coax for the rear.
P3SD2-8 subwoofer.
Speaker Adapters 82-5605 for doors and rear.

Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Performed the subwoofer swap today. I think it sounds great!

Plan to replace everything but the center channel speaker this weekend. I used Crutchfield's information for all the speakers but found their prices were significantly higher than Amazon.

I went with all Rockford Fosgate.
R1675S R1 components for the doors.
P132 3.5 for doors.
R1675X2 coax for the rear.
P3SD2-8 subwoofer.
Speaker Adapters 82-5605 for doors and rear.
Keep us updated with pix and how it sounds!

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
Keep us updated with pix and how it sounds!
I completed everything yesterday. It took me roughly five hours, but a lot of that time was walking back and forth to my shed to get more and more tools. There is a youtube video that shows how to remove the doors and the backseat carpet. To get the pillars out it just took a firm grasp and they popped right off.

I didn't really take a lot of pictures, and the ones that I did take will need to be resized. I can try and post them later.

The door comes off relatively easy. the little cover behind the door handle requires a tool with a hook on the end. I didn't have a tool that would work. I somehow managed to get it out with a paperclip.

The 3.5" fit in the mount that came with the default 3.5 with a little work. I had to trim a small 1/8" lip out of the inner circle to make them fit. They just clear the door grill cover once installed. I soldered the wires onto the new speakers.

The 6.5" in the doors went in easy with the metra adapters. I did have to drill new holes in the adapters and break the inner tabs. I didn't list it but I also bought 2 pairs of 72-5602 Speaker Wire Adapters off of Amazon for 10.00. This made for easy connections.

I wasn't sure about the tweeters. I didn't like the idea of cutting on the pillar and found a way to avoid any cutting and using the factory grille. I took the housing of the tweeters apart and discovered they dropped right into the existing tweeter housing. I then took Gorilla Glue Epoxy and reattached the back housing and locked them into place.

The rear speakers were the same as the doors. Drilled new holes in the adapters and broke of the inner tabs. The most challenging part was crawling in the back to get everything removed. There is one screw on each speaker that is at the very back of the window. It took a 1/4" ratchet to get the screws out and even it was hitting the window.

I had installed the subwoofer the day before. It was easy after following the OP's write up. :clap2:

Overall, I think it sounds much better. Before, I had an irritating rattle that I suspected was from a passenger side speaker. I think I took care of it with the new speakers. Or maybe I couldn't hear it over the music! :headbang: I had to turn the highs down to zero just to even things out. With the old ones I had it at max. The bass is more solid hitting now. I can see how some people would probably like even more bass. I would definitely go with 10" or 12" box if much more bass is desired.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
[MENTION=9252]Droid_Junky[/MENTION] so are you saying you kept the factory amp in place and just replaced the speakers?

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
[MENTION=9252]Droid_Junky[/MENTION] so are you saying you kept the factory amp in place and just replaced the speakers?
Correct. I really don't see the need to upgrade the stock amps. The only reason I would ever consider it, is if I wanted more control over the sound.

Something in the back already rattles quite bad. Sounds like its around the bumper.
Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 1.34.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 1.34.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 1.34.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 1.33.01 PM.png

OP
OP
Chef jpd

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang

chipmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT premium
Correct. I really don't see the need to upgrade the stock amps. The only reason I would ever consider it, is if I wanted more control over the sound.

Something in the back already rattles quite bad. Sounds like its around the bumper.
I am actually ok with highs, I would love to know how much better the bass is without new amp. Swapping the sub is cake, grabbing the right signal for an amp seems like a PITA!

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to filter out bass from door speakers?

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
I am actually ok with highs, I would love to know how much better the bass is without new amp. Swapping the sub is cake, grabbing the right signal for an amp seems like a PITA!

I was okay with the highs until hearing the replacements. Trying to explain what sounds better is too subjective. If you were to ask me when I was 20 whether or not the bass was much better, I would have said no. Back then I wasn't happy unless the windows look like they were going to shatter.

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang

I was okay with the highs until hearing the replacements. Trying to explain what sounds better is too subjective. If you were to ask me when I was 20 whether or not the bass was much better, I would have said no. Back then I wasn't happy unless the windows look like they were going to shatter.

chipmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT premium
I understand, my low Ho has 2 12's and ~1200 watts.
Sponsored