Sponsored

Strut Tower Brace Fittment

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
I picked up a OEM Ford Mustang GT 2016 Strut Tower Brace (STB). The part number you buy in Australia is the same as the US version.

It appears you need to grind off some of the bottom rear part of the STB to accommodate the AU versions with the K-Brace already in place, but the bigger issue for me is this;

There is a giant round bunch of taped up wires coming off the nearest battery lead that go straight across where the bottom of the STB would go. in fact right close to where you bolt it in place on the passenger side. But I cant seem to move these more than say 1/2 an inch and I need to move them like 2 inches.

I know others have fitted an OEM STB and I was wondering how you overcame this issue.

I purchased it mainly for its aesthetic value and also though it may also tighten up the from end a bit more.

I look forward to you answers,

thanks guys.
Sponsored

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Haven't heard of that issue before so I'm interested in the outcome. I've ordered a Ford brace as well and my car should be at the dealer later this week so will be fitting it very soon.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I fitted my Ford Racing STB (black but essentially the same design as the silver OEM one I believe) and had no problems in this regard.

It looks tight but once you remove the cable retaining clip from the K brace there is more wriggle room. Carefully slide this end of the STB in first, although you can't clip the cable restraint back in - but it's not going anywhere.

Being an angle grinder novice, I found grinding the underneath of the brace the most challenging and lucky it's unseen. Of course I've painted the ground surfaces (model paint).

Does complete the engine bay and I do think there is some (minor) improvement in cornering feel.

4stanger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang Fastback Race Red
A Ford Forum member did this;

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11458712
Purchased a Ford Performance strut brace thinking it would be a simple bolt on, that would be the case if you want to hack 6mm out of it with a grinder.
After making some temporary spacers for height and testing for bonnet clearance with some play doh my mate Rod spent a couple of hours in a cad program and drew up some plates for the laser cutter guy.
They have been cut out of alloy, only a novice with this program so the curve isn’t 100% but it’s pretty good and compared to using washers or a grinder no comparison.
The problem is the cross over brace hits the black brace coming off the fire wall (see pic arrow) I think it’s because of the left hand right hand drive switch.
When we got the plates we had to make some final adjustments but we have them spot on now and will be have 2 more sets cut for friends, the laser cutter charged me $20 for each plate.

The link has pictures as well showing that he placed the black wiring loom over the top of the brace, If the link doesn't work for you, you are probably not a member. So to see the pictures you will have to join :)

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
20160328_123522-1200x2133.jpg

As OzS550 has stated, just remove the clip on the passenger side that retains the wiring loom. The clip is only wrapped onto the loom with tape. The brace then slips under the loom. A bit of grinding on the bottom of the brace on the drivers side and some touch up paint to protect it and job done. Should take an hour or so with a couple of fits and grinds to get it right.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Flying Fiz

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great thanks for that, I didn't think of slipping the brace under the loom and then tightening down. I thought it would look way better being under the brace but I don't think I'll have the luxury of choice.

Did you not have to grind on the passenger side? Only on the drivers side? Also I think I recalled that it needed tightening to 41lb-ft of torque, is that the figure?

Thanks.

PS I have now joined the Ford Aust forum and currently waiting activation.

Last edited:

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
No need to grind the passenger side, the clearance is good.
41 ft/lbs is considered to be the correct torque.
There isn't really the option to run the loom under the brace due to where the loom exits the battery cover pretty much right over where the brace sits.

OP
OP
Flying Fiz

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No need to grind the passenger side, the clearance is good.
41 ft/lbs is considered to be the correct torque.
There isn't really the option to run the loom under the brace due to where the loom exits the battery cover pretty much right over where the brace sits.
Great thanks for the confirmation. I also looked at so photos of it installed stock in US vehicles and noticed that the loom sits on top on the drivers side, so same issue.

I'll have to dust off the angle grinder now,

Best,
Phil

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
Don't grind it, fit the spacers like Spoolman (Mark) did on Australian Ford Forums. I'm sure he can arrange a set for you. 41lb.ft is the torque I heard on the CJ Pony Parts install video.

OP
OP
Flying Fiz

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't grind it, fit the spacers like Spoolman (Mark) did on Australian Ford Forums. I'm sure he can arrange a set for you. 41lb.ft is the torque I heard on the CJ Pony Parts install video.
Even better, thanks, I'll make contact and see what is required.

Sponsored

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
A Ford Forum member did this;

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11458712
Purchased a Ford Performance strut brace thinking it would be a simple bolt on, that would be the case if you want to hack 6mm out of it with a grinder.
After making some temporary spacers for height and testing for bonnet clearance with some play doh my mate Rod spent a couple of hours in a cad program and drew up some plates for the laser cutter guy.
They have been cut out of alloy, only a novice with this program so the curve isn’t 100% but it’s pretty good and compared to using washers or a grinder no comparison.
The problem is the cross over brace hits the black brace coming off the fire wall (see pic arrow) I think it’s because of the left hand right hand drive switch.
When we got the plates we had to make some final adjustments but we have them spot on now and will be have 2 more sets cut for friends, the laser cutter charged me $20 for each plate.

The link has pictures as well showing that he placed the black wiring loom over the top of the brace, If the link doesn't work for you, you are probably not a member. So to see the pictures you will have to join :)
I did this. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Flying Fiz

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did this. :thumbsup:
Hi

Can you tell me how many mm's in height your spacers were. I'm assuming around 5 or 6mms? Did you just use some suitable steel washers?

Cheers,

Phil

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
Hi

Can you tell me how many mm's in height your spacers were. I'm assuming around 5 or 6mms? Did you just use some suitable steel washers?

Cheers,

Phil
Hey Phil,

I just got my spacers from Spoolman at Ford Forums :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Flying Fiz

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Phil,

I just got my spacers from Spoolman at Ford Forums :thumbsup:
OK thanks,

I'm still trying to get access to that forum. The first time I tried was via my work's IP address and it is a US company so I got rejected. Just tried again with good old Telstra IP address, I should be able to access shortly.

Cheers,

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
OK thanks,

I'm still trying to get access to that forum. The first time I tried was via my work's IP address and it is a US company so I got rejected. Just tried again with good old Telstra IP address, I should be able to access shortly.

Cheers,

Good luck Phil,

It looks great in the engine bay :thumbsup:
Sponsored