Sponsored

Steering Wheel Play

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has had this issue.

While driving anywhere between 45-65 mph my steering slightly moves left and right while driving straight. It is incredibly little, maybe a mm to the right and mm to the left but its constant and physically visible. The wheels do not actually turn but even while holding it i can feel it moving slightly each way. If i let go of it completely the car will keep driving straight but i can see the steering wheel moving around. Its strictly 1 left movement and 1 right one after another at a rate of around 3-4 movements in 1 second.

Very strange problem. I checked balancing and my tires are brand new. I also had this issue with previous tires.

Looking for any help.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My 2011 GT did something kinda like this. It was more apparent in Sport steering mode as the normal mode damped it out mostly. I never figured out if it was a slight tire imbalance or some aspect of Ford's electric power steering.

If my 2018 is doing it, I haven't noticed yet.

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
My 2011 GT did something kinda like this. It was more apparent in Sport steering mode as the normal mode damped it out mostly. I never figured out if it was a slight tire imbalance or some aspect of Ford's electric power steering.

If my 2018 is doing it, I haven't noticed yet.
In my case it is the same thing no matter the setting. I just remembered that when i was installing my headers i had to unscrew the plate holding the steering column that is behind the pedals and i also had to undo the u joint connecting it to the steering rack. Those bolts might have come loose and are causing this wobble. I hope that is the issue, i will check soon.
Sponsored