Sponsored

Steeda's S550 Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter is Here!

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
David - would the billet pull up collar released by MGW work on the Tri-Ax (or does Steeda have something similar in the works)?
We don't think theirs would fit, we are working on a Steeda version though!

David, As you know I currently am running the Barton and I did the installation myself.

So with that said. It looks like the section of factory linkage that some have asked about is the exact same as what Barton re-uses as well.

I had some questions /notes: In your instructions Figure 26 it looks like the Dynamat is used in place of the factory rubber boot? I think this is to allow for the best way to reduce NVH? Typically that rubber boot sandwiches between the bottom and top of the shifter tunnel, to keep out some noise, dust, etc. I do see in Figure 27 that the boot is placed back on the shifter. I would assume this just kind of sits there now?

I will confirm once my shifter arrives but to me your shifter looks to be a little thinner height wise than the Barton, and your base only uses 4 bolts where theirs uses 6 or 8. This could account for some of the weight shed in your shifter vs. the competition Again I will confirm my speculation once the Tri-Ax is here and I am doing the swap.

Regards,

Danny
Happy to provide some insight, Danny!

The Dynamat completely encloses the transmission tunnel, then we put the rubber boot on top to assist in NVH isolation as it prevents some noise coming through.

Our shifter is all aluminum and the way we designed the mid plate, top plate and bottom plate contributes to the weight savings.
Sponsored

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
We don't think theirs would fit, we are working on a Steeda version though!

Happy to provide some insight, Danny!

The Dynamat completely encloses the transmission tunnel, then we put the rubber boot on top to assist in NVH isolation as it prevents some noise coming through.

Our shifter is all aluminum and the way we designed the mid plate, top plate and bottom plate contributes to the weight savings.
Sounds good (No Pun Intended) or was it.... anyway. thanks David for the prompt response, all good information. Looking forward to the new sifter and comparing the two side by side.

Thanks,

Danny

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Guess I'll be waiting on the feedback from the guys who ordered them...hopefully it gets rid of the "notchiness" especially from 1-2
The only notchiness l have between 1st & 2nd (or at all) with my stock shifter/transmission is when it's below 40, and even then after a couple of minutes of driving its gone. Pretty happy where this is cocerned and its not something that l thought was shifter related anyway.
Hopefully the Steeda helps with yours though.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The only notchiness l have between 1st & 2nd (or at all) with my stock shifter/transmission is when it's below 40, and even then after a couple of minutes of driving its gone. Pretty happy where this is cocerned and its not something that l thought was shifter related anyway.
Hopefully the Steeda helps with yours though.
The only thing I've been really unhappy with is cold shifting. Otherwise it's mostly very good, with the occasional notchy shift. Down the road I'll consider a shifter replacement like the tri-ax or mgw compact. I think a trans fluid swap will address the cold shifting to my liking.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just received mine today, going to wait until l get my jacking rails before installing it. I don't like using ramps for the front and then trying to jack the rear of the car.

Not waiting for the Steeda Jacking Rails, the Tri-Ax Shifter will be going in later today!

Last edited:

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning on doing the Steeda shifter install later today if everything works out (no last minute "honey-do" list). I will provide a review post install and shakedown drive.

juan_tony1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
ECO DIB TANG
Any customer reviews?

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is in. I'll be taking it on a road trip to the coast for a few days and will provide a review when l get back.
Roads were on the verge of icy when l drove it yesterday after the install so l didn't get a chance to put it through it's paces, feels like a huge improvement over stock though.

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Mine is in. I'll be taking it on a road trip to the coast for a few days and will provide a review when l get back.
Roads were on the verge of icy when l drove it yesterday after the install so l didn't get a chance to put it through it's paces, feels like a huge improvement over stock though.
Looking forward to your driving impressions :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
We just installed one on [MENTION=19596]ptoemmes[/MENTION] - good seeing you again Pete and looking forward to your driving impressions!

One of our other Steeda associates just received this review via another forum so I figured I'd share:

Hey guys,

I recently purchased, and had installed the new Steeda Race Short Throw Shifter for my 2016 Mustang GT PP.
First off, I had several questions that were answered by TJ at Steeda in a timely manner, and packaging was good enough to throw the box off a bridge and everything would've been fine. So far, so good.

Shifter materials; all the pieces looked very well constructed, you can really see the quality materials used to make this shifter. No junk.

Installation; I was told by the mechanic at the Ford dealership (that I'm in good with), that the installation went on without a hitch or any unpleasant surprises. He remarked that he installed several shifters over the years, and that this Steeda Tri Ax looked very well built and all the parts fit perfectly into the car. No dropping the transmission for installation.

My driving impressions;
The gearshift knob is at a lower height than stock as advertised. To me, it's very comfortable. I can rest my arm on the center console and shift just fine.

Deflection; non existant, a substantial improvement over the stock shifter. This was noticeable immediately.

Shifting through the gears; throws are VERY short, smoother, but not sloppy. Solid, but not notchy. Didn't notice any "walking" or noise while getting on it. (For what I could driving it at 21degrees). Shifts are effortless, you know what gear you're in, and it's easier to get there. The chances of a "miss shift" are all but eliminated.

My comparison is to the stock shifter that came with the car from factory. While I'm not knocking the stock shifter, I can easily say the Tri Ax is far above and beyond better than stock. I would definitely recommend this shifter to anyone looking to upgrade. Knowing what I know now, I'd DEFINITELY buy one again without hesitation.

tweekdout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 6m
Just leaving Steeda in Valdosta from an install that filled two pages of paper and took 2 and a half days to setup. I'll have a write up once I re-learn the car - because it is very different, in so many GOOD ways.

One of those items was the Tri-Ax. Question to Ford; why didn't the car come with this????? Shifting is not the ambiguous activity it was 3 days ago AT ALL.

Props to Steeda and BIG THX to the crew in Valdosta; Chad, Jamie, Scott, and David too for all the quality products and effort you gize do for the 6G crowd.

ptoemmes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible, White, PP 6sp
Just got home from what is usually a 15 minute drive from Steeda-Pompano, FL but took more like 30. Such is South Florida this time of year. Fed the dogs, fish, and even kissed the wife. :love:

OK....basically I'd have to confirm what Dave said and @tweakdout is SPOT ON with his comments.

Now, I may be in the kind of odd position of having experienced the stock shifter - like everybody :tsk: - but had the "three part" Steeda short throw installed about two weeks before their race shifter was announced. They are as secretive as Apple.

I had a buzzing sound with the "three part" shifter that Steeda attributed to sloppy Ford tolerances/specs and that they are addressing in an update to their short throw shifter arm. I could eliminate the buzz by just pulling up a tad on the reverse lockout sleeve. But once the race shifter was announce I figured why not address that issue this way.

Glad I did.

First of all, Rod, Dave and the Pompano crew have always been top notch and this time was no different. And Steeda did me ever so RIGHT on the cost to swap out the three part with the race shifter due to the product timing and my "buzz".

Race shifter: No noises. While I cannot remember, I'd vouch for Dave's claim that this shifter is quieter than stock. Yeah you can feel some vibration through the nob - so what - no noise. And NO BUZZ.

I should clarify that by three part I mean: short shift arm, shifter base bushing and bracket, and the trans mount busing insert.

The race shifter comes with a base bushing and bracket and I kept the trans mount bushing insert installed.

The shift arm on the race shifter is a tad shorter than the three-part shifter arm which, I suppose, attributes to much of the shorter throw over the three-part shifter setup.

So, like tweakdout said, some re-learning is in order, but that is gonna be a good thing. The shifts are positive. You should not miss 1-2 anymore - at least not due to the shifter. I always felt a little "hitch" quick shifting from 1-2 and sometimes 2-3. Not anymore.

I'd give careful consideration to whether you want the stiffer centering springs or not. They are, of course, owner changeable, but after a chat with Dave I opted to start with the less stiff springs and see no reason - based on my and my wife's driving habits - to change.

Probably no one disagrees that the stock shifter is underwhelming. With Steeda you now have a choice - the three part (or two part if you do not want the trans mount insert bushing) or the race shifter. There is component cost considerations as well as time/effort and maybe install cost differences if you pay for the installs like I did.

But I'd seriously consider saving up and going for the race shifter.

I will probably post some driving impressions as I get more stick time, but I don't see me asking Steeda to put the stock shifter back in. :lol:

Pete

juan_tony1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
ECO DIB TANG
All the reviews sound great but what about the famous "notchiness" was there an improvement or is it gone?

ptoemmes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible, White, PP 6sp
All the reviews sound great but what about the famous "notchiness" was there an improvement or is it gone?
Prior to the race shifter - even with the three part shifter (the stock shifter was in about 1 week) - I described a hitch or slight bump going from 1 to 2. Yes it was always more pronounced cold but even there sometimes when warm.

I got the car today after the mechanic had test driven it so it was not cold.

But I'd describe the gear engagement feeling as positive and firm.

I did discuss a trans fluid change with Rod at Steeda but they indicated they had not completed their assessment of what, if anything, might be warranted in that regard. I am guessing here that they are interested in much more feedback from race shifter owners from a variety of climates and uses (street, track, road course).

I'm not a manual shifting guru/wizard but I am sensitive to sloppiness, lack of smoothness, ambiguity and I don't feel-sense any of that and there was plenty of that stock and some with Steeda's three part setup (but vastly improved). But I could not say that anyone else's "notchiness" would be eliminated by this shifter.

I don't think any of the aftermarket shifter suppliers would guarantee elimination of notchiness if the source of that notchiness might be in the trans - fluid, additives, or otherwise.

YMMV,

Pete
Sponsored