Sponsored

Starting car w/o nasa liftoff sequence

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Conv Pack Avalanche White Stripe
I saw somewhere (I think) that you could start the GT350 w/o the iniatial exhaust blast. I know its fun and cool but I leave for work in the dark and I would rather start the car with the normal exhaust sound and not wake the dead. I think there is some combination of buttons or switches that will cancel it out.

Thanks - if it has been posted - I looked.
Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
It automatically starts in normal
He is referring to the car testing the valves upon startup, in which it actually opens them for a second or so before switching back closed.

OP, if you get in, hit the start button without your foot on the clutch (i.e turn on vehicle power), the valves will actually perform their check with the car off. Just hit the ignition to turn power on, then clutch in and hit start button again after 5 seconds or so and you avoid the extra volume.

I use it in the same manner to open the valves into sport mode before I turn on the car, so that as soon as it turns over it is instantly in beast mode :D

OP
OP

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He is referring to the car testing the valves upon startup, in which it actually opens them for a second or so before switching back closed.

OP, if you get in, hit the start button without your foot on the clutch (i.e turn on vehicle power), the valves will actually perform their check with the car off. Just hit the ignition to turn power on, then clutch in and hit start button again after 5 seconds or so and you avoid the extra volume.

I use it in the same manner to open the valves into sport mode before I turn on the car, so that as soon as it turns over it is instantly in beast mode :D
Will do - thanks.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford

Thanks for the last part. Cant wait to try it :D

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What are the actual parameters in which the car starts without the valve check? I have had it where the car has done both in what seems like to me, the same conditions. I always do hold brake, clutch in, full start. I almost always shut the car down in Sport exhaust.

OP
OP

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are the actual parameters in which the car starts without the valve check? I have had it where the car has done both in what seems like to me, the same conditions. I always do hold brake, clutch in, full start. I almost always shut the car down in Sport exhaust.
That is what I thought I read somewhere. There is a way to start it w/o the valve check sequence at all.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
That is what I thought I read somewhere. There is a way to start it w/o the valve check sequence at all.
Yes, holding the clutch in for 5 seconds, it primes the fuel pump, then the valves dont open. I dont think its an actual valve check, I think its used on cold starts when the fuel pump isnt primed and the ECU gives it extra juice on the start. If the car is warm, you stop, and fire it back on there is no valve open/close

Im pretty sure its mostly temp dependent.

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350
This is a very interesting thread and I hope it continues. I'm continually frustrated by the lack of consistency at start-up. Unlike the OP, my preference is always for the open-valve "bark," as my son calls it, when it fires up. But despite my attempts to follow the exact same timing pattern vis-a-vis clutch depressed --> red button, it always seems to vary. I will definitely try the red button-->switch to sport mode-->clutch-->red button sequence tomorrow, so that's for that suggestion!

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
You guys are way overcomplicating it.

Just press the clutch and wait a few seconds before hitting the ignition button, that's it.

The valves sweep when you "wake" the car by pressing in the clutch or apparently by turning on the accessory power. Just don't start the car while it's sweeping and you'll get a quieter start-up.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Agree. Mine go through the motions everytime you step in and press the clutch. If you let them cycle it stars with them closed, still with plenty of bark

Last edited:

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
You guys are way overcomplicating it.

Just press the clutch and wait a few seconds before hitting the ignition button, that's it.

The valves sweep when you "wake" the car by pressing in the clutch or apparently by turning on the accessory power. Just don't start the car while it's sweeping and you'll get a quieter start-up.

That works for me. :thumbsup:

Goofball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 R
This thread... just made my day. I've wondered why sometimes it barks on startup and sometimes not. Thanks guys!