Sponsored

Spare with the 20" wheels

dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Conv V6 4.0; 2016 BMW 340i
I was wondering why the 20" rims are not able to be ordered with a spare. I always like to have a spare. So I asked Ford directly, and their response is below. I thought you guys with a similar question might be interested in their response. I could understand why the PP tires with the large brembos couldn't take the spare, but not why a regular GT with the 20's couldn't.

"There isn't a 20" spare offered, due to the fact that it would limit the cargo space and add weight. Full size tires are available at your local dealer for purchase, but a smaller spare is not recommended with the 20" rims, as it may affect performance.

With new vehicle purchase however, complimentary Roadside Assistance is provided for the life of your warranty, should you acquire a flat. "

I guess this means it's ok to use the smaller spare just for getting home or to a service center after a flat at a slow speed. I would get the spare tire kit that fits in the lower trunk well (18" rim spare and jack/bracket kit) from the Ford parts dept.
Sponsored

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
I've been wondering this too. One thing I noticed on my PP wheels was that the lug seat was conical, not a ball seat like a lot of OEM lugs. One theory I have is that the spare using a ball seat lug, and the PP wheels as well as the 20's use a conical seat.

it's just a theory. I'd check, but I don't have a non PP car to look at. maybe someone who has a spare can check one of their lug nuts?