Sponsored

Spare tire - Dead weight or haul it along?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Never had a vehicle without a spare. (so far) My guess is those without a spare will rethink after being stranded with a flat.
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Skye, what is a rim rental shop?
I learned from the experience there is a rent-to-own industry that allows one to get "high-end" (often ginormous, heavy, chrome) rims. I suppose if you begin missing payments, they find you out and take them back.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Is it really dead weight if it improves traction?
Full size matching spare in my trunk...
Better traction gains can be made by tire selection and size. Have never noticed any race teams adding weight to gain traction. Maybe to balance, but not for increase of traction.

Like Carroll Shelby once said (pardon me if it is not verbatim), ā€œThere is no such thing as too much power, only not enough tractionā€. So I like added traction but prefer lower weight for a better power to weight ratio. Keeping that in mind, the Mustang is a hog. Mine would be faster if I only weighed 135lbs. But I donā€™t!

Last edited:

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I learned from the experience there is a rent-to-own industry that allows one to get "high-end" (often ginormous, heavy, chrome) rims. I suppose if you begin missing payments, they find you out and take them back.
Was not aware of such a place. Makes sense for those who gotta have it and right now, I guess.

Thanks for the reply.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Better traction gains can be made by tire selection and size. Have never noticed any race teams adding weight to gain traction. Maybe to balance, but not for increase of traction.

Like Carroll Shelby once said (pardon me if it is not verbatim), ā€œThere is no such thing as too much power, only not enough tractionā€. So I like added traction but prefer lower weight for a better power to weight ratio. Keeping that in mind, the Mustang is a hog. Mine would be faster if I only weight 135lbs. But I donā€™t!
Racing teams don't worry about a flat in the middle nowhere, unless they race in the middle of nowhere. In which case they do carry spares.
YMMV, but I commute like 30 miles each way and a road trip now and then. A spare is in every car I have ever owned and have no regrets...

Sponsored

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
I don't carry a spare I have enough weight with a canopy and chairs and other car show related stuff šŸ˜ I never used the supplied compressor either. I Suppose if you are prone to tire malfunctions I'd have a spare.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I have a buddy of mine that never ran a spare. He had two flats on the freeway. Both times he had to have the car towed. Both times they damaged it. Yet to this date he doesn't carry one, some people just dont learn. I have a full size spare. Made from a blemished rim from American muscle. Took one of old tires when I replaced them and mounted it. Yes I did give up some trunk space, but I don't need the trunk anyway. It is a 305/30-19.
171251155107213956341882351990.jpg

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Luckily I never had to use my spare in my Focus for 10 years on the road aside from a slow leak on side wall which the tire shop put it on anyway to wait for the replacement matching tire, even car still could still have been used.

My Fusion never had a need in 7 years, but still was a piece of mind.

I had added the Bullitt Brembo upgrade to my GT/CS and did have the Ford spare. My plan was if I ever need to change the fronts, I change one rear to front then spare goes on rear, but I am probably going to upgrade to the performance spare to work better all around and match my 275/40/19 better.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost Orange Fury, 2011 F-150 XL
I ordered an OEM spare tire kit and added it today. very light IMO.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's under 50lb including the tool kit. I will always carry it.

Just go to the gym a few times a week to offset it!

ILStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT Premium, Oxford White
Got a spare kit for sale if anyone is interested šŸ˜‰.

IMG_6986.jpeg

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I Suppose if you are prone to tire malfunctions I'd have a spare.
Hello; Flats, blowouts and other tire/wheel problems use to be more common. In fact, the old bias ply tries might fail in 10,000 miles if you bought cheap.

Roads were bad with a lot of gravel roads. Then roads got better and better for a few decades. I was in college during the late 1960's. I drove from Harlan County KY to Morehead KY and back often. I can recall how every few months i could get onto I-75 a few miles sooner. When i did not have to drive thru Mt. Vernon was a good day. Odd thing is I now sometimes drive the old roads to get away from I-75. Fact is my knowing the back roads has allowed me to get around I-75 backups a few times.
We are now in a era of the roads getting worse in general. Some years ago I began to notice the road crews were not getting potholes repaired in a timely manner as they had been doing. It would take them longer into spring and later longer into summer. Eventually some potholes had inadequate patches into the next winter season. I-40 +I-75 thru knoxville TN has become known for potholes. I was in the area a month or so ago. I leave lots of space behind the car in front so I can hopefully see the holes.
Saw a local news report last week about wrecks on I-75 between Lafollette TN and Corbin KY on Jellico Mountain. Seems some bad potholes had opened up.

My take is the roads will continue to degrade. When i shop for a pickup I try to get steel wheels and tires with a deeper sidewall. I figure that setup will handle the bad roads better. Did so decades ago. Have that setup on my current truck.

My point being we are all going to be prone to tire/wheel problems.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a spare tire kit back in 2018 and just didnt care for it. The jack was very flimsy and I just didnt like the idea of that skinny tire. So I sold it and used the money to buy a blemished rim and a 2 ton electric jack kit form Autozone, three stud extenders to make putting the tire on easier, as well as a tarp, gloves, 19 mm deep 1/2 drive socket, 6" extention and a harbor freight torque wrench. All for what I sold my spare tire kit for ( I had one of my old tires when I replaced them) Something to note about the spare tire kit. If you have a performance pack 1 or 2 . You have to order the kit with that option. The standard spare tire kit will not work.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I have a pp1 car and purchased the spare kit from automotive authority. It's probably overpriced for what it is but fits the trunk perfect and works well. I've only needed it twice in over 5 years with mustang but both times there's no way the inflator would have helped so I say leave it.
Sponsored