Sponsored

Sound tube delete question

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I know its a pain to get that 10mm nut off the firewall, but is there ANY way I can do it with the strut tower brace and firewall brace on the car? I sure would hate to have to remove all that to just remove the tube. OR can it be gotten to from under the car? MAybe do it when I change the oil if it can be. Thanks!
Sponsored

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I dont have the STB on my car and it was a bitch to get off, I dont see how its possible man........

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
You actually can cap off the portion of the tubing that meets the firewall. There is no reason to completely delete it.

Simply insert a plug on the intake tubing itself, then remove the midsection of the symposer piping and then cap off the remaining tubing.

If you use the above pic as a reference you will remove everything from the intake tubing to just under the K brace. That is so much easier than trying not to bust your hands all up against the firewall.

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
Search some more and you will find it but.....

Just grab as far back as you can and pull. It WILL come off. The tab that goes over the stud in the firewall is plastic and will break and the entire tube and all will come off. Then you can just plug it off on the firewall. I had my wife get her skinny arm back there to do that which was easy for her.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Sponsored

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
thats kinda half assed and looks like shit......

That look ten times easier than trying to get my hand down by the firewall.

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Looks far better completely removed. Just like one of the other posters said just grab it far back and pull and twist. The ear that holds it is plastic and will tear pretty easily and it will be free from the firewall.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
That's what I did Tele5.0, grab and pull. It came off, but it was a pain in the a**.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That look ten times easier than trying to get my hand down by the firewall.
it is much easier, but it looks bad and is a short cut imo, if you remove the coil cover, this will enable you to place your arm in such a way that you can reach the offending nut easier, atleast for me.........

Sponsored
OP
OP
S550ilver

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'll attempt to stick my skinny hand down there this evening and see what happens...either that tab will break or my hand or wrist...we'll see LOL. If not, we have a lift back in Tuning by Dynos I know I can get to it from underneath if need be.

murphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Unless you're planning on putting it back on, just rip the ugly s o b out of there. Like others have said, grab with two hands and a hard jerk is all it takes. And even if later you were to trade or sell the car, a missing/unable to reinstall sound tube shouldn't be a problem. Getting to that nut is not worth it! Takes 3 seconds to rip it off.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
This was my post from a previous thread on the topic:

One of these worked perfect for me to plug the hole in the firewall:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-Spo...-/191570086736

And one of these to cap the whole in the stock air intake:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_37824-255-4440795N_

I have the PP with the braces. For the nut removal, I removed the sound tube from the air intake to swing it out of the way as much as possible. Then I used a 10mm ratcheting wrench and snaked my arm (tight fit!) from the front between the coil cover and the fender well to reach it. I didn't have to lay across the front like the other poster, but was able to do so from the side fender. Once the wrench was on, there was room behind the motor to swing the wrench to remove the nut. Once the sound tube is off, the firewall hole is easy to reach and plug.

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
What are the advantages of removing this tube? Is it purely aesthetic?

OP
OP
S550ilver

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'll give the pull it method a go tonight...I will however at least loosen the strut tower brace and swing it out of the way first. I do have the delete kit from American Muscle ordered and dont plan on driving it until thats all in. But im sure if I need to get the car out of the garage in an emergency at least it will start and move before thats installed.
Sponsored