HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
But I did not go around or pass another car in the same lane. The SUV was already more than half way into the street I thought she was turning into since she was blinking right leaving the lane clear to move forward.
I originally said I wasn't assuming anything about the situation. But that IF you were in the only lane going that direction, you would likely be held responsible to some extent, possibly all (some places don't assess proportions of blame). I posted the above AFTER I took something you posting as to there just being a single lane.

If there is just one lane, I suspect legally, the other car (SUV) "owns" that lane until they COMPLETELY vacate it.

I totally get why someone would pass (technically break the law) if they believed the other car was about to completely vacate the lane by turning right. I have probably done it. Just saying this is exactly why the law will say the car in front has full ownership of the lane until they are out of it. Same as if a car in front of someone starts to change lanes and you (the editorial you) start to pass them when they have 1" still in the lane and decide to swerve back. Is that extremely dumb on their part, like your SUV driver was? YES. But the laws are written to prevent accidents from common mistakes.

I'm guessing you probably knew from some past driving test you can't pass someone in the same lane but either did not realized that was what was happening or decided to take the small risk they would not reclaim the rest of their lane. Like I said, probably happens all the time and I have done worse so not putting you down.

But I have seen people make the same mistake again because they never accepted or understood that following some law, rule, policy, etc would prevent what happened to them or (using this example) because they never accepted that what they did was passing in the same lane because they think of passing as vehicles going in the exact same direction, not just occupying the same lane in ANY orientation. Hope that doesn't happen to you or anyone else.
Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
If you signal and move completely out of the traffic flow, you surrender any right of way you had to those who are still in the traffic flow, and there are zero laws that say you need to yield to a civilian vehicle under these circumstances.

If the SUV was still in, or partially in the lane, then yes, fault would at minimum be shared, but per the OP's claim, he didn't pass in the lane -- he continued STRAIGHT in the open lane, after the SUV signaled right and moved out of said lane.
X2. I've seen this maneuver done a few times but in each case the driver wanting to perform the 180 had a semi functioning brain stem, they stopped and checked that it was clear before continuing.

Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if a driver came to complete stop and waited for a vehicle to fully complete a RH turn that was signaled for? Each and every time. That sage advice would eventually get you killed.....either a rear end impact or the drivers behind you beating you to death.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
You did what most people would do, OP. You are in the right here... nobody pays attention to their surroundings anymore.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I agree, stupid drivers putz around and if that happened to most people they would have done the same thing. Give the OP a break

OP
OP
JDVisualz

JDVisualz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Mustang GT Premium/PP
Final total in damages came to $15,661. The cars not totaled so I will be getting it back thank god.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Final total in damages came to $15,661. The cars not totaled so I will be getting it back thank god.
Rear suspension? Damaged?

OP
OP
JDVisualz

JDVisualz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The knuckle, control arm, link rod and the shock was the worst of it.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Good luck dude, hopefully this is your last encounter with abject stupidity.

Zeke.Malvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach1
I originally said I wasn't assuming anything about the situation. But that IF you were in the only lane going that direction, you would likely be held responsible to some extent, possibly all (some places don't assess proportions of blame). I posted the above AFTER I took something you posting as to there just being a single lane.

If there is just one lane, I suspect legally, the other car (SUV) "owns" that lane until they COMPLETELY vacate it.

I totally get why someone would pass (technically break the law) if they believed the other car was about to completely vacate the lane by turning right. I have probably done it. Just saying this is exactly why the law will say the car in front has full ownership of the lane until they are out of it. Same as if a car in front of someone starts to change lanes and you (the editorial you) start to pass them when they have 1" still in the lane and decide to swerve back. Is that extremely dumb on their part, like your SUV driver was? YES. But the laws are written to prevent accidents from common mistakes.

I'm guessing you probably knew from some past driving test you can't pass someone in the same lane but either did not realized that was what was happening or decided to take the small risk they would not reclaim the rest of their lane. Like I said, probably happens all the time and I have done worse so not putting you down.

But I have seen people make the same mistake again because they never accepted or understood that following some law, rule, policy, etc would prevent what happened to them or (using this example) because they never accepted that what they did was passing in the same lane because they think of passing as vehicles going in the exact same direction, not just occupying the same lane in ANY orientation. Hope that doesn't happen to you or anyone else.
You are completely correct in your assessment of the legality/civil issues. Liability will likely be mixed, and favor can go either way in this scenario. To the OP, good luck.

Sponsored

nickko11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Wow, so much anger
Originally Posted by nastang87xx
Something like that happened to me last year too...dumb bitch signaled for a right turn at an intersection and she went for her approach and then quickly snapped a screwy and started making a u turn. She stopped in time but I was staring down the face of an X5 before I got out and went apeshit on her. I could have handled it better but got the attention of a cop and she got a ticket.

Sorry to see how bad the damage is. Real shame. :(

"Wow, so much anger"???

when an idiot puts your life at risk, dont you get angry?

OP
OP
JDVisualz

JDVisualz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So just an update on my car. My cars mostly done but when they put the new airbag in, the airbag light and the ABS light wouldn’t come off. Not sure if it was due to the fact my car is tuned or what? But I did flash the car back to stock when I went to go look at it today but I’m not sure if that will do anything. They said they want to take to take it to Ford and have them reset it.
Sponsored