So I'm getting a new transmission

DRIVEN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
After literal weeks of waiting at the dealer for diagnosis (about 6 in total), the local dealer has determined that I need a new transmission and has ordered it - yay, factory powertrain warranty. That said, they don't know how long it will take to get a transmission. Does anybody know what the current status on transmissions is? Are they available? Unobtanium?

Was your car a early 2019 or built later in the year
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
I too lost my 5th gear syncro randomly. I never abused the car it went out at around 8k mi. I took it to the dealer for them to diagnose and they determined that it was a bad syncro and would put in for a warranty repair since they had a trans tech on the staff it would most likely be a full tear down see what was damaged and replaced. A week later I got a phone call and that ford would replace the trans because parts were scarce and dealers that had the parts were hording them. 2 weeks went by and the dealer called to tell me that the wrong trans was sent to them i.e a gt350 trans no pump and that the correct one was over nighted. the whole deal turned into a nightmare when I went to pick up my car. I went over it with a fine tooth comb and found the inner fenders not bolted up the chin spoiler was damaged and missing bolts, the shift knob was damaged, the shift boot bezel was broken!!! the service manager came out and said the tech had already clocked out for the day but he would put it on the rack to look at it. once on the rack he walked me back to the car and started to say that the way the car came in. I instantly exploded yelling that he was full of shit the car had 8k mi on it and I knew for a fact that the car was undamaged!!! just then the tech walked by and asked why the car was back on the rack after telling him the slew of issues he went to his tool box and said oh I found the missing hardware. the service manager apologized and said he would replace all of the damaged parts and would call me when they arrived. 2 weeks later they call I show up with all of the broken bits and say just trade me I do not trust you guys any longer to witch they agreed

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
What a mess.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I also lost my 5th gear synchro at about 20k miles. I tracked my car a decent amount though. Got the whole transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft replaced under warranty a couple years ago.

Sponsored

JFALK68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Premium with handling pack
I have a 2022 Mach 1 with 6 spd tremec. Delivered July 16. 2022. Had the car 6 days and 3rd gear started grinding. Finally got an appointment in mid September. Test drove it and determined it needed a new transmission. Transmission came in 2 weeks later in October. Able to get an appointment in December because techs were extremely busy and they were short handed. They had the car 2 months because a “one time” use part broke. Never told me what part. Picked it back up in February. Was leaving the house to pick it up and they called me to tell me that the tech driving the car destroyed the splitter bringing it out to the customer pick up lot. Waited 2 weeks for that to come in. Needles to say transmission is working great.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
Yike, I hope mine comes out better than that. Service writer told me Friday they think I'll get the car back next week 🤞🏻

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I also lost my 5th gear synchro at about 20k miles. I tracked my car a decent amount though. Got the whole transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft replaced under warranty a couple years ago.
Same here, lost 5th gear a couple years ago. Actually I lost reverse before this. Had to wait 4 weeks to get into dealer so I tracked it twice more without reverse and then lost 5th and shortly there after the trans fluid over heated and went into limp mode. A new trans was covered under warranty, but it also destroyed the clutch and they would not cover that despite it was not “worn” at 12k miles but “missing chunks”. My entire bell housing on the trans had cracks…I have posts here on the subject.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
Got the car back yesterday, along with details on what they found that led to replacement. It's, uh, yike. 5th gear synchro assembly, gone. Input shaft thrust bearing, output shaft roller bearing completely gone. Large pieces of metal debris throughout trans had damaged other synchros and bearings as well. Fluid dark and burnt, full of metallic contamination. So, a complete mess.

I had let the dealer know in the spring when I got the clutch slave cylinder and clutch replaced that 5th was grinding, but they didn't address it at the time, which is why I took it back in. The fluid was freshly changed not long before I took it back in.

All seems good now, all covered under warranty.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Got the car back yesterday, along with details on what they found that led to replacement. It's, uh, yike. 5th gear synchro assembly, gone. Input shaft thrust bearing, output shaft roller bearing completely gone. Large pieces of metal debris throughout trans had damaged other synchros and bearings as well. Fluid dark and burnt, full of metallic contamination. So, a complete mess.

I had let the dealer know in the spring when I got the clutch slave cylinder and clutch replaced that 5th was grinding, but they didn't address it at the time, which is why I took it back in. The fluid was freshly changed not long before I took it back in.

All seems good now, all covered under warranty.
Thank God for the warranty. I’m concerned this will happen to me again with continued track use, so she’s likely either retired from track work after 8yr warranty is up or getting sold to free up a garage spot. I love the car, but it’s getting to be a lot to keep it running…as I currently replace my 5th dead starter and a cam sensor that popped off (after multiple wire harness and related issues).
Sponsored