Sponsored

So, I got in a very minor accident tonight...how do you react when it happens?

Sammzway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (traded) / 16 Acura MDX
I was very very angry after this happened:

I wanted to open a can of whoopass on the guy who did it (delivery driver from a Chinese grocery store, who hardly spoke English!). I forced myself to stay in the car and stay calm and not have any interactions with him...:paddle:

Dude crossed the centerline on me on a two lane road (in a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma). Both vehicles totaled.

Can honestly say this is the first "dream" car I've ever owned, and I loved it very much for the four months I got to enjoy it...don't worry, got the next one on order. Just have to live with a POS Toyota Yaris until my Deep Impact Blue '16 car arrives (long term rental).

He didn't see a 5.0 badge on your fender, so he said f'it and wanted to knock you off the road. Just kidding and glad you're ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

Jackie Chan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Corvette ZR1
for an accident that minor i wouldnt have called the cops. accident report will show up on the carfax for at most a bumper remove/reinstall and paint. probably wont even touch a deductible

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I have had two accidents in my life and both times I was just sitting
at a light and was rear ended...Idiots..

sorry about yours

Dolsvt00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 5.0
Im sure you probably already know, but around here about the best body work your gonna get is my friend KJ at pro tec on cross county rd ( Just tell him Randy sent you) or Norton and Richardson off 78 (High price but probably the best in the lowcountry) or miles road paint and autobody. Color king off rivers ave is ok if you want it quick and pay cash but the others I listed do the best work. All the Ford dealership autobody shops suck around here.

OP
OP
DivineStrike

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
That's good to know, I'm not familiar at all with local body shops. Thanks I'll have to check them out. I'm fine with going away from a dealership if they use ford parts for any replacement parts

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Generally a whiplash injury shows up the next day. Tight neck muscles, pain, difficulty turning your neck. Get checked out by your physician. You may need PT. If you don't feel right don't put it off.

Dolsvt00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 5.0
That's good to know, I'm not familiar at all with local body shops. Thanks I'll have to check them out. I'm fine with going away from a dealership if the use ford parts for any replacement parts
All of the ones I mentioned do. And if you take it to any of the others besides pro tec and want piece of mind (because KJ is my friend and I know and trust him) hit me up I have a spare SCT xcal I could let you borrow for a while. Im an SCT tuner so I could write a "vallet" tune you could flash in that would limit the rpm and mph.

I know how some shops and even dealership techs like to beat on customers cars.

Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback PP Manual
I was on the way home from a fancy dress Friday at work last year. I was in full 1970's safari suit and a long blonde wig. I get rear ended by a Vietnamese guy in a courier van, He jumps out and starts pointing, I jump out and he takes one look at me (i'm a pretty big fella) and dives back in his van and locks the door. I walk around the back and no damage done, he'd hit the tow ball of my Raptor. I smiled and gave the thumbs up and asked him to be more careful, got back in my car. The bloke was petrified. A big Maori fella in the car beside me nearly pissed himself laughing at the whole thing. I[m not sure I'll be so understanding in the 'stang.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I would have whipped his limey ass :lol:Race and ethnic origin doesn't figure into totaling my car...
Have to admit I am surprised at the level of calmness, and to be honest in the US I would have thought you would have Layed the Smackdown on their Candy asses
In the UK the Police will only get involved if there are injuries or its dangerous driving.
Over here dash cameras have become very popular, as we have a lot of insurance scams. Car will signal to let you out of a right hand turn then hit you and blame you
I had a bad crash in my S197 3 years back, a speeding driver shot onto the roundabout and caught me side on. ÂŁ8000 worth of damage, was nearly written off. I had passengers and the shock factor kicked in, I had witnessses we had a little shouting match. Ended up I could not prove he was speeding. Was without the car for 3 months but was returned better than ever

hatchttu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 mustang
Something similar happened to me a couple weeks ago. Got rear ended at an intersection. While it's obviously his fault if there hadn't been some idiot in the left lane stopped trying to make a left turn we wouldn't have needed to be stopped. And there was a left turn lane that person SHOULD have been in, not the left traffic lane. So I took a deep breath, dropped an f bomb to my self and then calmly dealt with it once we pulled off the road. Minor damage, he has insurance, it'll be fixed. Stayed calm and the guy was super apologetic and nice to deal with. I try to keep it calm so things go smoothly, I've found that losing my cool in most situations doesn't help me in any way.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DivineStrike

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Sooo, update. Got the bumper repaired about a month ago. Aaaannnd I got rear ended again at a traffic light at night :doh: this time was even softer of a hit but still did some paint damage and a little bit to the bumper. My reaction was the complete opposite. Totally relaxed.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Sooo, update. Got the bumper repaired about a month ago. Aaaannnd I got rear ended again at a traffic light at night :doh: this time was even softer of a hit but still did some paint damage and a little bit to the bumper. My reaction was the complete opposite. Totally relaxed.
I admire your calm, :eyebulge:

mhagerty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I commend you for regaining control and apologizing to her. They call them accidents for a reason and in the end its out of your control.

I've been in a few accidents in my life and I always check on the other person to make sure they are ok.

We all love our cars and most have a LOT of $ invested but in the end its just a car and in most cases its easily fixed.

In a few short weeks you car will be as good as new and this will be behind you.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
I commend you for regaining control and apologizing to her. They call them accidents for a reason and in the end its out of your control.

I've been in a few accidents in my life and I always check on the other person to make sure they are ok.

We all love our cars and most have a LOT of $ invested but in the end its just a car and in most cases its easily fixed.

In a few short weeks you car will be as good as new and this will be behind you.
But that's not the point is it, if the idiot can't see a bloody big car, what chance a kid?

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
One time a guy rear-ended me on the freeway in Los Angeles and then tried to run. My buddy and were cruising along at 75-ish and this Toyota Sequoia comes up behind us with the high beams on. This is one of my greatest pet peeves in life so I slowed down to let him pass, got behind him, and flashed my beams once or twice to let him/her know that their beams were on. Then I went back into my normal lane and went on my merry way passing the car.

A few minutes later I see them begin to go from the inner-most lane, behind me, across 3-4 lanes of traffic to exit. I thank my lucky stars that this obnoxious car with high beams is exiting. A half-second later I get slammed in the rear passenger corner and it's the Sequoia. They had gone all the way to the right to exit and then came all the way back into the far left lane, clipping me in the corner. I am actually shocked I didn't completely spin out. The tail of my car whipped to the left and almost hit the center divider.

Then I see the car speeding passed me to run away.

I immediately went after them and would not let them out of sight. I kept flashing my beams and honking hoping they would pull over. I was on the phone with highway patrol and they advised me to not chase them and to immediately stop. I was definitely not going to give up on this.

I ended up chasing this kid for about 9 miles where he finally pulled over on a random off-ramp. I was LIVID!!!! I ripped this kid a new asshole 3 times over. He kept apologizing and saying he understood how I felt. I was like, dude you hit me and then RAN away for 9 miles. His headlight was completely missing, his bumper was dragging on the ground, there was absolutely no way he didn't know he had hit me at 70+ mph on the highway.

He had no proof of insurance so I decided to call the police a 2nd time. By this time he had given me multiple business cards (he was 19, but worked at a bank so had tons of cars) and I had written down all his drivers license info. He slowly crept back to his car as I was on the phone and did a burnout fleeing the scene.

A minute or two later the police showed up. Two units arrived and one sped off after the kid once I told them he had stopped but then ran.

The very next day my insurance company called me to inform me that the guy hitting me had admitted full responsibility and so I would be taken care of.

Long story short: if someone hits you I think it's human nature to be really fucking pissed off.
Sponsored