Sponsored

shop for clutch

Trptguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So after almost 200K on the original clutch it has finally died and I need to get it replaced. Anyone have a good indy shop they would recommend for this?

I live in the Concord/Acton area but work in the north shore so pretty much anywhere in this two areas would work.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
So after almost 200K on the original clutch it has finally died and I need to get it replaced. Anyone have a good indy shop they would recommend for this?

I live in the Concord/Acton area but work in the north shore so pretty much anywhere in this two areas would work.
Wow! 200K out of an S550 Mustang engine and clutch is definitely getting your moneyā€˜s worth out of the car. Iā€™m guessing that you donā€™t race of beat on it? If thatā€™s correct, why not just find a close reputable dealer with good reviews and have them install another factory clutch since the original one performed well?

OP
OP

Trptguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I do live close to a dealer that i trust to do the work. Just waiting on a quote. However finding a good indy who might do it for less than $1500 would be nice..........

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I do live close to a dealer that i trust to do the work. Just waiting on a quote. However finding a good indy who might do it for less than $1500 would be nice..........
Something else that just came to mind is this:

I worked with a guy, who was a Mopar enthusiast. He was constantly modifying his Magnum and entering it into car shows. Somewhere along the way, he met an auto mechanics instructor, who worked at an area vocational technical school. He would take his car there and allow it to be used for practical training by the students, under the watchful eye of the instructor. He saved lots of money on labor by doing it this way. It was a win for him and a win for the students.

Perhaps you might look into this as a possibility. Heck, you might be able to get your clutch changed, but the engine freshened up as well, to go another 200K.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Not sure what OP's level of mechanical abilities are, but another option is the DIY Auto shops. Pulling the transmission out of these cars is pretty easy.
You pay a flat rate to rent a bay that is stocked with tools and a lift. $44.95/hr

http://diyautorepairshops.com/index.php

Sponsored

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

How far are you willing to drive?

The dealers around here are not great, and the only DIY place is in RI (Gearhead). I've heard good things about Kelly Ford in Beverly which would be good if you work in that area. I know one of the guys that works there has a wicked RS. I've been going to Stoneham Ford and they've been alright, I also had alright luck with McGovern Ford in Lowell. I've not had any serious work done by either of them, just diag/oil changes.

You're best bet is going to be to ask around the Masstuning FB page and see what people say is good. I go to a guy up in NH but its a hike and I know him, you'll likely be able to find something closer.

OP
OP

Trptguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
How far are you willing to drive?
I go to a guy up in NH but its a hike and I know him, you'll likely be able to find something closer.

How far up in NH?

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
How far up in NH?
heā€™s not a mustang shop, but heā€™s a good guy and a smart mechanic. Heā€™s a one man show and often has to decline work just because heā€™s overloaded.

https://g.co/kgs/f2ed85

His name's Max, worth reaching out to, I wouldn't hesitate to bring him my mustang.
Sponsored