Sponsored

Seriously.. I have the ‘engine rattle UK

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
Obviously the USA drivers are far more familiar with Mustangs than us rest of world newbies and many of the reports of noisy MY18 engines are from customers who have had previous Mustang Coyote engined cars for comparison whereas in the UK most of the new MY18 owners do not so if they have a noisy engine they probably don’t know it especially if they’re used to diesel engines
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

D6tse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Obviously the USA drivers are far more familiar with Mustangs than us rest of world newbies and many of the reports of noisy MY18 engines are from customers who have had previous Mustang Coyote engined cars for comparison whereas in the UK most of the new MY18 owners do not so if they have a noisy engine they probably don’t know it especially if they’re used to diesel engines
Thanks, yeh makes some sense

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
After much research and listening to all types of tapping and knocking,from that short clip i would say it was ok.The engine is noisy,especially the clicking at the top.Its the irregular type writer tick that you hear underneath that seems to be the concern.(excessive tolerances)This usually happens after the first oil change,infact my car after delivery was low on oil,so i topped it up.Its amazing that some of these cars were shipped with the oil below the lowest reading mark.Some have been using 5w30 and additives to get rid of the noise.My previous mustang i changed the oil twice before its first service.This time I've left well alone and will wait to its first service and see what happens afterwards.
Yep my 19 was almost a bottle short of oil on delivery. Can’t recall what I put in it now but I got the one in the manual which I think was 30 and maybe it says 20 on the oil cap. I recall it was different.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
My view is to keep driving it and if it seizes , fails etc go see a friendly Solicitor and 'Screw the Bollocks off Ford Motor Company.
Seems a simple recipe to me.
Whilst I agree with the sentiment of driving it until there is a problem why would you 'screw the bollocks of FoMoCo' ? If a product is supplied and fails in warranty you just get it fixed in warranty, why involve a solicitor ? OK if it isn't fixed then fine, but what do FoMoCo owe you other than a working car ?

Incidentally in the UK your contract is with the dealer not FoMoCo

Last edited:

etbiru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Ok first of all you need to record from the drivers side (RHD) below the car and rev it to around 2k. If you are not hearing anything then there is no rattle.

Any type of rattle is not normal and should be reported ASAP.
Make sure there is enough engine oil in the engine.
I have 2017 GT and its silky smooth. No rattle is normal, if its rattling then there is an issue there.

Sponsored

Andy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 race red gt
After much research and listening to all types of tapping and knocking,from that short clip i would say it was ok.The engine is noisy,especially the clicking at the top.Its the irregular type writer tick that you hear underneath that seems to be the concern.(excessive tolerances)This usually happens after the first oil change,infact my car after delivery was low on oil,so i topped it up.Its amazing that some of these cars were shipped with the oil below the lowest reading mark.Some have been using 5w30 and additives to get rid of the noise.My previous mustang i changed the oil twice before its first service.This time I've left well alone and will wait to its first service and see what happens afterwards.
I was thinking of changing my oil just passed 1000 miles in my 19 but think i will wait too...

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
I was thinking of changing my oil just passed 1000 miles in my 19 but think i will wait too...
I changed mine at 1000 mile - No problems so far at 1500 Miles now.
I honestly believe it best to treat the initial oil as an engine flush or running in oil. Any contaminate or even swarf from engine assembly that may be in the first oil and filter can only do harm. If the engine does develope any rattle after that oil change, it would have appeared regardless. Much better to discover something like this early, as opposed to out of warrenty.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I changed mine at 1000 mile - No problems so far at 1500 Miles now.
I honestly believe it best to treat the initial oil as an engine flush or running in oil. Any contaminate or even swarf from engine assembly that may be in the first oil and filter can only do harm. If the engine does develope any rattle after that oil change, it would have appeared regardless. Much better to discover something like this early, as opposed to out of warrenty.
Totally agree. I changed mine at 500 miles and again at 3000 miles just to make sure all that initial wear gets flushed out ASAP.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 V8 - Shadow Black - Manual - Ebony Interior
I had an similar issue this year albeit due to my ex-wife pouring sugar into the tank after 200 miles, this wasn't an MY18 but an KJ18 plate. Luckily the dealer took it back without any checks (phew - say no more). Now in a different colour new Shadow Black which they swapped me with no engine issues.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I had an similar issue this year albeit due to my ex-wife pouring sugar into the tank after 200 miles, this wasn't an MY18 but an KJ18 plate. Luckily the dealer took it back without any checks (phew - say no more). Now in a different colour new Shadow Black which they swapped me with no engine issues.
She put sugar in there? what the fuck did you do to her?! (also who the fuck thinks to do that?!)

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
She put sugar in there? what the fuck did you do to her?! (also who the fuck thinks to do that?!)
It was one of those things that people had heard about to screw about with someone's motor, like a banana in the tailpipe etc, however I thought it was a myth with the sugar just sitting in the bottom of the tank.
Better off out of that relationship i'd say :like:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
It was one of those things that people had heard about to screw about with someone's motor, like a banana in the tailpipe etc, however I thought it was a myth with the sugar just sitting in the bottom of the tank.
Better off out of that relationship i'd say :like:
Learn something new everyday, I had never heard about that.

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
lol sugar dissolves and gets thick when hot ie treacle lol can be used as part of the concoction to make a napalm like substance lol

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
... things in Exhaust pipes DO work -

I remember when I was a naughty kid (several hundred years ago) - that a potato in the end pipe caused much hilarity - the car would either not start at all - or usually there would be much turning of ignition key until the BANG .... as the potato fired like a bullet out the back!
Sponsored