Seat recline handles

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
I've noticed that when I push the front seat(s) forward to get kids in the back, I need to use the same handle to move the seat back into position. In other words, if I use the handle on the back of the seat, I need to use the same handle to get it back into position; if I use the lower handle near the seat track, I can only use that same handle to get it back. Is this a feature (the "memory" thing) or a bug?
Sponsored

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
If you use the handle on the back of the seat to tilt it forward then you can just push the seat back and it returns to the same spot. You don't have to touch the handle to move it back.

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
If you use the handle on the back of the seat to tilt it forward then you can just push the seat back and it returns to the same spot. You don't have to touch the handle to move it back.
Never knew that...:clap2:

shobbs007

Forensicator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Race Red/PP; 2009 Tundra RW
Now I've got to go try that. Always had the problem of trying to get my seat back in the same position.

michaelmfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Premium Manual Trans
Now I've got to go try that. Always had the problem of trying to get my seat back in the same position.
Owner's Manual. Rear Seats:
Use the seatback release to fold the back
of the front seat forward for rear seat
access. This release handle is located on
the upper back of the front seat. The
seatback has memory and locks
automatically in the original position.

Sponsored

Trailhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible
Yup, they are there. Duh on my part! LOL

OP
OP
peetucket

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
Whoa. I remember reading that in the manual, but it never registered that you could just push the seat back.

MagneticGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Doesn't the seat back release perform the same "release" function as the side lever? My driver's side works this way. But, sometimes the passenger side seat back release doesn't work and I have to use the one on the side. What's up with that? :frusty:

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Doesn't the seat back release perform the same "release" function as the side lever? My driver's side works this way. But, sometimes the passenger side seat back release doesn't work and I have to use the one on the side. What's up with that? :frusty:
No, they are not the same. The lever on the side is the fine adjustment of the seat back angle. Set it where you like it and leave it alone. If you pull the lever, you have to manually reset the seat angle. Not good.

The release on the seat back is just that: a release to get you into the back seat. That's the one that has memory. So show your passengers the real release lever. Use it, the seat moves forward for access then right back to the very position it was in, tilt and all. Perfect.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
My passenger seat doesn't work either. Anyone else?

Sponsored

MagneticGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Sometimes, I pull up on the passenger's seat back release and the seat back tilts forward. Great! :thumbsup:

And sometimes, it does not. :doh:

When it doesn't work, I can see the seat back release partially operating the side lever. I then have to pull the side lever to 'finish' the partial operation process in order to get the seat back to tilt forward. Continuing to pull up on the seat back release feels like it's going to break.

I'm not worried about the seat back memory feature right now. I'd just like the passenger side seat back release to work 100% of the time, not 40% of the time. However, unless the problem can be easily fixed, I can only see the dealership making things worse or f-ing up something else.

MagneticGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I see that you have a Premium GT. Do you have the electric seats or the manual Recaros? I have the electric seats. My side lever can be used as a seat back release and to adjust the seat back angle. As I mentioned above, the seat back release seems to be tied to the side lever (perhaps by some cable).

My seat back release only makes the seat tilt forward (when it's working). My electric seats do not move forward by operating the seat back release. But, your seats do? :shrug: That would be a nice feature. :thumbsup:

The release on the seat back is just that: a release to get you into the back seat. That's the one that has memory. So show your passengers the real release lever. Use it, the seat moves forward for access then right back to the very position it was in, tilt and all. Perfect.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Sometimes, I pull up on the passenger's seat back release and the seat back tilts forward. Great! :thumbsup:

When it doesn't work, I can see the seat back release partially operating the side lever. I then have to pull the side lever to 'finish' the partial operation process in order to get the seat back to tilt forward. Continuing to pull up on the seat back release feels like it's going to break.

I'm not worried about the seat back memory feature right now. I'd just like the passenger side seat back release to work 100% of the time, not 40% of the time. However, unless the problem can be easily fixed, I can only see the dealership making things worse or f-ing up something else.
That's exactly what mine does.

Zeenobit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang 3.7L V6

Same issue here. This is honestly the one and only complaint I have about this car.

I just gave up with that seat handle and use the side lever. It's really frustrating getting someone in the back if you rely on the rear handle.

Them: "Oh, you got a new Mustang? That is so cool! Can you give us a ride?" :D
Me: "Sure, I have room for 3. You'll have to squeeze in. Hop in!" ;)
Them: "Yay! Wait, so how do I-..."
Me: "Just pull the back ha-..."
Them: "This?"
Me: "Yah, just pu-..."
Them: "It's stuck."
Me: "Really? Let me try...ugh! Use the side lever..."
Them: "Which one?"
Me: :frusty:

Every. Goddamn. Time.

TWilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium
Same issue here. This is honestly the one and only complaint I have about this car.

I just gave up with that seat handle and use the side lever. It's really frustrating getting someone in the back if you rely on the rear handle.

Them: "Oh, you got a new Mustang? That is so cool! Can you give us a ride?" :D
Me: "Sure, I have room for 3. You'll have to squeeze in. Hop in!" ;)
Them: "Yay! Wait, so how do I-..."
Me: "Just pull the back ha-..."
Them: "This?"
Me: "Yah, just pu-..."
Them: "It's stuck."
Me: "Really? Let me try...ugh! Use the side lever..."
Them: "Which one?"
Me: :frusty:

Every. Goddamn. Time.
Have you tried applying very slight pressure on the seat toward the back of the car as you pull the seat-back handle before pushing forward? That would relieve the natural pressure exerted by the latch. That could be the problem. If not, then maybe a trip to the dealer for some diagnostic work & adjustment.
Sponsored