Sponsored

Scratched/scuffed and shallow dent

ghostmag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Premium Shadow Black
Got distracted in a drive thru, didn't see a low pole. :frusty: There is a shallow dent as well as the scratches. I can scrape the red off with my finger nail, I'm not positive about the white... Any idea how much this might cost? It's magnetic, does it need to go to the dealership? Worth going through insurance?
scratch.JPG
scratch2.JPG
scratch3.JPG
Sponsored

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Depending on how deep the white scratches are, if you have an orbital buffer and some compound you will be able to buff out most if not all of them.

You can try it by hand as well but it won't be as effective as a buffer.

The red will come off as well. Then you can assesses how much damage a body shop will really need to do.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
PDR should be able to pull the dent out.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Yeah what d4rk said. Why do these idiots put these dumb ass poles by the drive thru!!!!

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
Yeah what d4rk said. Why do these idiots put these dumb ass poles by the drive thru!!!!
They rather you damage your vehicle than you damage their building. I am an insurance broker and it is astounding the amount of instances I have heard of vehicles crashing into the most random buildings, let alone a building specifically made to be driven around in close proximity.

Sponsored

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
I must be blind because I don't see a dent lol! A DA, Buffer, or orbital with some good compound should be able to take that right out. If you don't have any of those, buy an applicator (Circular pad that you would use to put wax on) and Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 at AdvancedAuto/AutoZone. Apply it to the applicator and firmly press against the scratches in a circular motion. It may take a while but it should get most, if not all of it out.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
The grocery store I work at has been driven INTO an incredible 7 times in 15 years. It became such a common thing, the cashiers up front don't even flinch when they hear the thud. The new owner of the place got tired of fixing the front wall, so he had those cement-filled steel posts drilled and sunk into the parking stalls in front of the store.

Makes it harder to park now as it shrunk the stalls by several inches but at the same time, people really should figure out that a grocery store is not a drive-thru.

That sucks about your car though. That's going to be an expensive lesson to learn. I joke to my co-workers that when my car arrives, it will sit in the parking lot surrounded by brass poles and a velvet rope.

Kudarat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Konrad
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It depends where the dent is located. This happened to me last year. :doh: Collision shops and dealer charging me between 1300-1600 so i called my insurance and paid the deductible.
image.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to buff out the red - but looking at the pics, I have a feeling the "white" is the primer below the surface.

The factory paint jobs are very thin and there's not much between the painted layer and primer layer anymore like vehicles of the past that came with thicker factory paint.

Post up your cleaned up results. Dr.Colorchip may work as a solution to going over any visible signs that remain, but from what I have seen, DrC is only very good for small chips and not meant for larger tasks such as at length damages.

OP
OP
ghostmag

ghostmag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the suggestions.

I got a tip to try a Mr. Clean magic eraser, which I tried since I already had one, and that took off the red and some of the white pretty easily. Here's what's left... Would PDR be able to take this out and then maybe have it buffed out somewhere else? I went to the website of a PDR place in my area and none of the examples were this close to the edge.
after clean 1.JPG
after clean 2.JPG
dent 1.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
ghostmag

ghostmag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=13979]Kudarat[/MENTION] Geez, looks a lot like mine.

OP
OP
ghostmag

ghostmag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sucks about your car though. That's going to be an expensive lesson to learn. I joke to my co-workers that when my car arrives, it will sit in the parking lot surrounded by brass poles and a velvet rope.
Yeah it does because I'm like that with my car. I seriously baby it, park it far from everyone. Then I go and damage it myself.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have used a great PDR guy in the past who had fair pricing and was able to get the worst of the worst out without any remnants of previous damage existing.

I would Google PDR businesses in your area and insert the word "review" after the business or persons name to see what other folks think of the work. Some even have pics of before/after of the vehicle - so you can judge how well the work was performed.

Damn - if all you used was a Mr. Clean Eraser initially, that seems to have worked well! If you have an orbital buffer, throw some Meguiars Ultimate Compound on it and go over the area and 3" beyond the area on all sides. That should remedy any remaining surface scratches in the clear coat. Then go over that same area with your favorite wax/polish.

I have used the MUC before / it is NOT abrasive like most other compounds on the market - it safe on all clear coated surfaces, works great and is very easy to apply/remove when in optimum temps. Try it out. I think you can get it from most local parts stores.
Sponsored