Scorched spark plugs

FrankM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I replaced my spark plugs today, I understand how to read a plug, but I’m not sure why the insulators are scorched, is this normal? 61k on the odometer

IMG_0600.jpeg
Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
What are we looking at? A little bit on the car, please.

OP
OP
FrankM

FrankM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
2022 ecoboost premium with 61100 mi. I bought the car in January, it has been idling rough when hot.

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Are you talking about up top? That's probably from moisture. I assume this is your first plug change at 61k miles? I wouldn't worry about it.

Sponsored

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Normal for a turbo car imo. Just did plugs on my brothers Cadillac 2.0T and they looked the same. New plugs had it running right again. Ditch the engine cover if you have one unless you just commute with the car.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Very normal imo. It's some kind of ionization reaction that occurs with the atmosphere over time and leaves that residue.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
The condition is called "Corona Stain".

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/5-things-you-should-know-about-spark-plugs#:~:text=Corona stain is completely normal,seal inside the spark plug.&text=While most NGK spark plugs,off the fine-wire electrodes.

2. Corona stain

Corona stain is a light brown or tan discoloration on the outside of the ceramic insulator above the metal shell/hex. Corona stain is created by the high voltage traveling thru the plug that attracts the dirt or oil particles surrounding the exposed ceramic insulator between the wire/coil boot and spark plug metal shell. Corona stain is completely normal and should not be mistaken for exhaust gas blow-by or a broken seal inside the spark plug.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
“do not apply to the terminal end.
Explanation for this statement?

I’d submit the video below as justification for the OP TO USE A DAB OF DIELECTRIC GREASE on the inside of the spark plug boot, on the plug end where it fits into the boot, and on the opposite end of the cop wire.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Explanation for this statement?

I’d submit the video below as justification for the OP TO USE A DAB OF DIELECTRIC GREASE on the inside of the spark plug boot, on the plug end where it fits into the boot, and on the opposite end of the cop wire.

I've always wiped some 3m silicone grease on the inside of the boot and it serves me well. You don't want to pack it solid with grease because it can introduce some resistance

Sponsored

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
LOL.

IMG_5116.jpeg

Besides successfully using dielectric grease on spark plugs and boots for over 30 years myself with zero issues, I just verified the use of dielectric grease on spark plug connections, not just boot ID, with a very seasoned and highly respected ASE Certified Professional I’ve known for years. He’s also the Service Manager at a successful Ford dealership.

Last edited:

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
LOL.

IMG_5116.jpeg

Besides successfully using dielectric grease on spark plugs and boots for over 30 years myself with zero issues, I just verified the use of dielectric grease on spark plug connections, not just boot ID, with a very seasoned and highly respected ASE Certified Professional I’ve known for years. He’s also the Service Manager at a successful Ford dealership.
So you’re stating that the yellow highlights below are incorrect ?
IMG_5116.jpeg

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
original COPs on my 150,000 mile charger. Grab some di-electric grease and wipe some on the porcelain. Put the COP on. Move on. That is the process I have used on every car I’ve owned. If some gets on the electrode don’t sweat it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
LOL.

IMG_5116.jpeg

Just because there's two schools of thought doesn't mean one is the correct one, lol. Dielectric grease applied in the manner you're saying won't really affect anything after the terminal makes contact and scrapes it off, but to me it's mostly pointless. Modern plug wires and cop setups have a pretty tight fit around the plug terminal and ceramic, so a light coat inside the boot is plenty to seal out air and moisture.
Sponsored