Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Welp, my motor made it 8.5 years, 97800 miles, 135 days of autox and 34 on tracks, with one national championship, a ton of 1sts at national events and a a few top PAX finishes at locals. Not bad for a car that cost 38k new.

That’ll do pig, that’ll do.

Rod knock after my 2nd run today and seems seized. Wont know for a while what actually went wrong (she’s gonna have to sit for a while before my guy can open her up).

I’m not displeased, I got a lot of smiles and miles out of that motor. Need to figure out what’s next.

Could part out, could spend 10-15k and rebuild, could rebuild for a blower, could try to put in a low mile wrecked voodoo powerplant for 20k. None of those options are gonna make my wallet happy, but I guess I have a month or so to ruminate on it.

IMG_6525.jpeg

...not to be that guy...but if you do part out, let me know please! I am sure there are plenty of things you could suggest me to snag ;D

However...if you aren't afraid to...why not Barra swap it or just do a new motor. I would say such a girl doing that many years so strongly is worth rewarding her with something...tasty.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
...not to be that guy...but if you do part out, let me know please! I am sure there are plenty of things you could suggest me to snag ;D

However...if you aren't afraid to...why not Barra swap it or just do a new motor. I would say such a girl doing that many years so strongly is worth rewarding her with something...tasty.
What's a barra swap? She's definitely been good enough to justify putting a new powerplant in there, but I'm going to have to consider a part out too. Its a car which is going to be hard to replace if I go that route, so leaning towards fixing her up right now.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

A Barra swap is a terrible idea. Giant Incline 6 cast iron block would be terrible for weight balance vs the aluminum Coyote.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
A Barra swap is a terrible idea. Giant Incline 6 can't iron block would be terrible for weight balance vs the aluminum Coyote.
Pretty much this.

@NightmareMoon

The 12 year old in me just thought it quickly. Apologies :)

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
What's a barra swap? She's definitely been good enough to justify putting a new powerplant in there, but I'm going to have to consider a part out too. Its a car which is going to be hard to replace if I go that route, so leaning towards fixing her up right now.
The Barra is a turbocharged 4.0L inline 6 from the Australian market. Think of them like a massive 2JZ with lower revs. Biggest issue is they're a cast iron block so super heavy. Not an issue if you're turboing the piss out of it to chase drag strip numbers, but the absolute wrong way to go for autocross or track day stuff. Also not much in the way of support here in the US for it.

Sponsored

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The Barra is a turbocharged 4.0L inline 6 from the Australian market. Think of them like a massive 2JZ with lower revs. Biggest issue is they're a cast iron block so super heavy. Not an issue if you're turboing the piss out of it to chase drag strip numbers, but the absolute wrong way to go for autocross or track day stuff. Also not much in the way of support here in the US for it.

Would 100% be one of a kind though hahaha. Probably can't get out of its own way without turboing it to hell yea.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Would 100% be one of a kind though hahaha. Probably can't get out of its own way without turboing it to hell yea.
One of a kind doesn't help you anywhere but YouTube views. Look at all the headaches Adam LZ has gone through to get his car to work even 90% of the way it should. Modern cars make engine swaps a absolute headache, and other than YouTube views there's nothing a Barra could accomplish that a Coyote couldn't do for less money, with more parts and technical support stateside, while weighing less and being more reliable.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
One of a kind doesn't help you anywhere but YouTube views. Look at all the headaches Adam LZ has gone through to get his car to work even 90% of the way it should. Modern cars make engine swaps a absolute headache, and other than YouTube views there's nothing a Barra could accomplish that a Coyote couldn't do for less money, with more parts support and technical stateside, while weighing less and being more reliable.
Very true and well said. I just like the way it sounds, but when my V6 blows one day I am 100% going NA coyote.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Can't he just turn it off with Forscan?
Welp, my motor made it 8.5 years, 97800 miles, 135 days of autox and 34 on tracks, with one national championship, a ton of 1sts at national events and a a few top PAX finishes at locals. Not bad for a car that cost 38k new.
Oh, man - that really stinks. You got good use out of it but still. Let us know what happened when you know...

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

That’ll do pig, that’ll do.

Rod knock after my 2nd run today and seems seized. Wont know for a while what actually went wrong (she’s gonna have to sit for a while before my guy can open her up).

I’m not displeased, I got a lot of smiles and miles out of that motor. Need to figure out what’s next.

Could part out, could spend 10-15k and rebuild, could rebuild for a blower, could try to put in a low mile wrecked voodoo powerplant for 20k. None of those options are gonna make my wallet happy, but I guess I have a month or so to ruminate on it.

IMG_6525.jpeg
Junkyard gen III, come back a monster on ethanol!

Sorry to hear that, but the life of a race car...

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
CamC Wings: is anyone running the apr 200 wing? Is it enough? Or do y’all go “really big” for a reason? My s2000 and Miata friends are all running monster wings with almost no angle of attack, so I’m a bit questioning if big is really needed or just in style. I don’t really plan a splitter upgrade at the moment and more just want fast without extra steps at events or at my garage between events.
A friend is. IMO, it has no where near enough aero built into the top side of it. It's very flat on the top of the wing. I'd suggest going big. And the end plates are small.

I have AJs fulcrum 14. I get ever so slight push at high speed transitions, but I'm about to fix that.

If you don't have the big splitter up front, I don't think a big wing is required.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
@NightmareMoon @Flyhalf @mavisky thoughts on fenderliner? Discovered today during brake bleeding that I am rubbing. A lot. So I am removing them…is this okay? On our Honda track build we said screw it, but I want to make sure its fine with you guys on this ole girl.

IMG_1884.jpeg
Sorry spent all day doing the most satisfying thing in the world. Pressure washer the fenders lol

To answer your question...
It depends.
I dont have them. Because i have a huge splitter with big tunells but also i have 2 big louvers to remove the air.
Is not a big issue removing them.
But one note. If you rub a lot u may be a little too low. Or maybe go 18 :)

PXL_20240422_020116349.jpg

PXL_20240422_020126129.jpg

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry spent all day doing the most satisfying thing in the world. Pressure washer the fenders lol

To answer your question...
It depends.
I dont have them. Because i have a huge splitter with big tunells but also i have 2 big louvers to remove the air.
Is not a big issue removing them.
But one note. If you rub a lot u may be a little too low. Or maybe go 18 :)

PXL_20240422_020116349.jpg

PXL_20240422_020126129.jpg
Im going to be doing this same exact thing with the racelouvers (TM)

However my car is parked outside, so perhaps I should keep the liners? And how to solve rain through hood louvers? So many questions and I appreciate your time Alej as the owner of the car I want Cobalt Filly to be :D

Interesting on the low fact, as I am only 1.5" lower than stock, if that.
And I might get rid of my 17s and do 18s later on...but loving the 19s so far, can't wait to track/autoX them. They were too good a deal to pass up.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I have the car in a garage so not sure lol. I tell you what i do when i wash it : big plastic sheet over the engine.
Last race it rained overnight and we cover the cars with one of this big blue tarp.
Open the hood. Wrap the tarp on top and shut the hood with it inside. Technically you dont need to cover the engine bay. But im more for "you never know"

For the fenders there is not a lot going on there so water won't be an issue.
You can always trim the liners.i stead removing them
Sponsored