2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
You’re the only person that I’ve ever seen or heard call the Cyclone V6 a “POS”. It beat the previous 4.6 V8s to 60mph and had to be detuned for the S550 so the ecoboost had more hp. Admittedly, I’ve never driven or worked on one as all of my Mustangs have been GTs outside of a 1990 LX, but no review or video I’ve seen said anything bad about that V6, and there are certainly a good amount of people upset that it’s been removed completely with the 18+ models.
That 4.0 V6, however... now that was a POS.
No it didn't.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
The company will never get rid of the mustang....That would kill the company in a way. Mustang is Ford and Ford is Mustang. Also....Bill Ford jr would not let Hackett kill the company. Wont happen. I call BS.

I hope you're right.

Adkrs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
If true they'll shoot themselves in the foot. Ford has been making great performance vehicles lately. The EV and autonomous route will alienate all the new fans.

revtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Those of us who own the 3.7 know what it is and what it can do.
If you look at the specs its easy to see it was built too well and Ford could not have it compete with its golden child Ecoboost.
I love mine. With very few mods the car will lay a patch in second and chirp third. Getting 26.8 MPG average over 14k.
I love the V8s but at this stage in my life I just don't need that much power. And since I just can not justify a 4 cylinder, the 2018 MY change has already pushed me away from another Mustang. If the rumours are true I will be jumping to another brand again to fulfill my personal wants in a Hot Rod.

Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
Those of us who own the 3.7 know what it is and what it can do.
If you look at the specs its easy to see it was built too well and Ford could not have it compete with its golden child Ecoboost.
I love mine. With very few mods the car will lay a patch in second and chirp third. Getting 26.8 MPG average over 14k.
I love the V8s but at this stage in my life I just don't need that much power. And since I just can not justify a 4 cylinder, the 2018 MY change has already pushed me away from another Mustang. If the rumours are true I will be jumping to another brand again to fulfill my personal wants in a Hot Rod.
The 3.7 is a great motor. Makes good power and reliable. I however would never own one. They sound terrible and they lack the power i desire. With one mod my 5.0 will roast 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and if I don't drive my car like a dip shit I can easily get 24mpg maybe even more (averaging 18ish over 7k miles but I drive like a dipshit more than I should :D)

I don't hate the 4 and 6 cylinder mustangs, they keep the sales up and later in the future theyll have plenty of parts in the junkyards for the v8 cars that people want to keep alive.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The 3.7 is a great motor. Makes good power and reliable. I however would never own one. They sound terrible and they lack the power i desire. With one mod my 5.0 will roast 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and if I don't drive my car like a dip shit I can easily get 24mpg maybe even more (averaging 18ish over 7k miles but I drive like a dipshit more than I should :D)

I don't hate the 4 and 6 cylinder mustangs, they keep the sales up and later in the future theyll have plenty of parts in the junkyards for the v8 cars that people want to keep alive.

I used to talk like this. Now I drive a V6. It can happen.....

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
BTW I will even add more to this. I souped up V8 cars that never deserved souping up and probably drove those cars and my old 5.0s harder and more irresponsibly than any of you guys. We had a speeding ticket thread and I didn’t bother but I once got a speeding ticket surrounded by squad cars and had to talk myself out of an arrest, just for speeding. Even the warmed over posts that go far but not too far to get banned don’t bother me because back in the pre-internet days I was worse.

And yet I now drive a V6.

Purely because a V8 costs like 18-23 grand more (in Canada) as the dealers never brought in the base V8 till this year and I still haven’t seen any. But it doesn’t matter as I am fine with the V6. I had to add this as some of the stuff V8 guys say is just wrong. At WOT the V6 sounds great, like and old F1 race car believe it or not. A big surprise I was not expecting. V8 rumble is over rated. Up till this year every car I owned had V8 rumble even when the car was a pos. The shit boxes had even more “V8 rumble” when the muffler got holes in it. :lol: Floor the V6 on the street from a dig and the tires squeal and spin for a while and not just some chirp (I thought you could not do that on the V6, but whatever). Again, I didn’t expect this and was surprised. I was also surprised by the top speed. Disable the governor and the car actually will peg the speedometer between 155-157 mph! Didn’t expect this at all again.

What I didn’t get and thought I would get was a real difference in gas mileage. I didn’t scientifically test it but the car goes to the pumps the same as the old LT1 motor that I drove before this. That was as much of a shock as the others but in the opposite way. I guess you can’t cheat physics and it takes the same energy to move a Mustang down the road a given length at a given speed and that is it!I am sure my fellow V6 guys will chime in with some figures, all I am saying is that the engine seems thirsty to me like some others have criticized. What else? The car is lighter in the nose and handles better because of it. You get used to this and can throw the car into turns like you would not dare in the older understeering V8s. I still enjoy this but it was the first shock when I started driving the V6. Oh, and I love how the car is quiet otherwise. I hate to say this (because I’m becoming an old fart), but after you get use to the car and it is you daily driver, having a quiet car you can listen to music and talk to people without distraction keeps me driving the thing.

And that is my former V8 guy’s take on the Mustang V6. Most V6 guys are young and move up to the V8 and in the mean time have this inferiority complex. But this is a guy who moved down! So take my critique of the V6 for what it is.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Oh snap here we go....

Nope. I am pissed the GT500 will not get the 7.0 and this also confirms the direction Ford wants to go with the Mustang. In two years I will turn 60 and figured one more treat and that sure as hell looks like a Corvette, now, but my Mustang will always be my daily driver. The GT500 news really pissed me off even though we are talking about the next generation Mustang here - or lack there of.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Quit the bickering!

Back on topic, guys, or I'll close my own thread :rolleyes:

Swamp-Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty
Given the constituency that Ford knows that the Mustang has (and for whom they have said that they bent over backwards trying to “get it right” with the design and development of the S550) it makes very little sense to me that Ford would choose to forgo the enormous profits to be had from the further evolution of the Mustang in a direction that would please its base of current owners and likely new buyers. The expectation has already been set for such people in terms of an S650 generation coming into production in the relatively near future. Not a great idea to disappoint the people whose money your company relies on. But then again, stupid decisions get made all time.

Last edited:

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Swamp-Yankee, what you say is completely logical and rational - but that's not how most companies operate these days. To make Mustang buyers happy in the future would require investing hundreds of millions of dollars over several years to design, develop, engineer, and manufacture the S650 generation. The payoff would come in 5+ years, but until then, it would take spending money, which would reduce short-term profits.

Cutting development is the most common, quickest, easiest - and most stupid - way for any company to boost short-term profits. Investing in development pays off in several years; cutting development pays off TODAY. There's no easier or faster way to boost the current quarter's profits than by making a cut in R&D. Unfortunately, with the irresistible pressure from Wall Street (and the Ford family), that's what investors want - profits RIGHT NOW. Not in 5 years, or next year. Now. Kick the can down the road and let someone else worry about it later. And that's why Jim Hackett is CEO and not Mark Fields.

I also don't think Bill Ford Jr. would like to see the Ford Motor Co. disappear and swirl down the drain, and doubt that he would intentionally do that. But, he's just one member of the Ford family. I can imagine how pissed they all are to have seen their net worth drop by 1/3 with the decline in Ford's stock price. While some of them might want to continue the family legacy with the company, I suspect others couldn't care less, as long as they can maximize their next worth right now.

I'm 60 (-ish). My remaining car buying days are limited. I might have one or two more fun cars left before the realities of life and aging steer me into some kind of easy to drive kitchen appliance bland-mobile. For me, it means I'll probably buy another Mustang in a year or two, maybe a Bullit if I can find one without getting raped on the price by a dealer, and hang on to it until I can't drive a stick anymore. All bets are off now for a next-generation Mustang, but I want to make sure to get one of the last, and hopefully best, S550 generation.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'm kind of torn on this one. I think the current design has some serious staying power especially if they refresh again, but in a way average people will notice immediately. Weight reduction is a must. GM even went so far as to make every bolt on the Camaro only as long as it has to be. More aluminum may be part of the answer.

Don't get me wrong because I'm just as excited as the rest of you to see the next generation.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.