WKT

I Bleed FORD Blue!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot Grey
This is a really cool build, I'll look forward to your updates. Good job on all your work so far!

OP
OP

RobBodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Trans Am Series Race Car
Here is a little more text on our race car build. I bought this car in a rare buy it now sale on Copart last March. The car had some nose damage and had popped an airbag. So it was totaled out. For our purposes, however, it was about perfect.

The main damage to the car was the radiator support and radiator plus the front body work including the hood. everything from the front fenders back was undamaged. We were going to replace the radiator and the hood with racing pieces and the other parts were easy to come by. There was only minor structural damage done to the car.

It was shipped to Shakopee, MN where we were to have the cage installed. We struct a partnership with Watson Racing and waited for the road racing cage to be available. We waited til August, but we got the first one. Truth be told it is probably the prototype which is fine.

You can see from the images how outstanding it is.

In September the car was shipped back east where Mustang race car expert Rob Nowland went to work on finishing the car.

STEEDA is our suspension partner. Their sway bars and bump steer kits are the market standard for a long time and remain the most trusted pieces. They also provided all the new spherical end bits for the IRS. Toe links and camber arms and so on. We are hungry for every new little bit we can get from them.

Watson sent us out a slick closeout panel that fits with the cage. They sent us out a light weight one piece driveshaft.

The Boss 302S race cars that Watson engineered used TREMEC TR6060 transmissions bolted to their Boss engines. We went in that direction. Swapping a 6060 in for the stock MT82. We went to the Driveshaft Shop here in NC to get our half shafts.

The radiator is a Dewitt radiator that came from Watson Racing. A feature story on the radiator and install will be in the May-June issue of Cars & Parts Magazine.

Our dampers are part of a progam working with CorteX. They are the premiere shock technology engineering house for our kind of cars and I was really happy to be able work with them. We think that between STEEDA and CorteX we will arrive at a really good handling car.

All race car drivers have their own tastes on what feels good. For me that STEEDA feel has always fit me. CorteX has us working with JRi shocks. They are a partner in the Trans Am Series and so, a perfect fit. I will have some JRi/CorteX images to post this week. All that install has been completed.

As of today, we are working thru the computer systems to get the street car to run in race car trim. That is a headache. Then its mostly seat and safety gear, dyno visit, and livery.

We race March 6. Time will be tight.

More to come. There are some new images with the prototype SIGALA racing hood mounted on the car on my instagram page which you can click on with the link below.

Meanwhile the car is heavy and I am trying to take 10lbs off of me to help. So, you will have to wade thru my daily cycling or gym pics on the IG. sorry.

Sponsored

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
Where is first race? (relax, you'll get it done on time. Or close enough ;))

Any west-coast races? What is your favorite track?

OP
OP

RobBodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Trans Am Series Race Car
Where is first race? (relax, you'll get it done on time. Or close enough ;))

Any west-coast races? What is your favorite track?
First race is March 5 at Sebring. 2.5 weeks to go before we need to leave for the track.

Brainerd, MN and Austin, TX are as far west as we go. Sorry.

My two tracks are Road Atlanta and VIRginia Internatioanal Raceway. Mosport would be in there too but its not on the schedule.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
Awesome! Good luck to you and everyone working on the car.

Sponsored

Pintoracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
15 V6 051A Deep Impact Blue Reverse sensors
Good luck with it! I may have to make the Austin race. COTA is an awesome track.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Sweet build, Rob! Glad we could work together on this, looking forward to updates! :cheers:

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Gotta question on the Fuel Cell. Is the trunk floor crushable? Looks like a good hit from behind would have the floor penetrate the tank side wall. Is the tank a bladder or foam filled?

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
subbed, so cool.

If you can help with any weights of the parts you guys are removing that would be helpful, what are you targeting for a chassis weight?
Sponsored