S550 2015 GT-PP vs 2017 GT350

gsirakides

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic
So I believe I made a deal for a new GT350 today. I wanted one from the start since I love my GT-PP so much. A few annoying things about the GT-PP, the transmission clunk being the most annoying. Love the ride overall, a great daily driver.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has gotten their GT250 and has experience with S550 GT - how do they compare? Is the clunk gone? Overall driving smoothness, handling (rear hop gone?).

PLEASE SHARE!

BTW - Biggest disappointment is going from Triple Yellow to Magnetic. Everyone loves the Yellow (wife included), just could not find one in a GT350 (No stripe or Black roof).

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
No transmission clunk on my GT 350.

I do have something like that in my 370Z... more like a shutter/clunk in 1st and yeah it's annoying.

Grunholle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
///M
BTW - Biggest disappointment is going from Triple Yellow to Magnetic. Everyone loves the Yellow (wife included), just could not find one in a GT350 (No stripe or Black roof).

Thanks in advance.
Well there's 30 TY's on cars.com and only some of them have painted black roofs, so let's say roughly two dozen can be made all yellow since the stripes are removable decals? Why not get TY again if you really love it? I don't see a reason to settle...

http://bit.ly/299mwzK

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I didnt have an S550, but I had a S197 coyote/MT82 car and I can tell you the transmission is 10x better than the POS MT82. Overall engine response and power obviously cant be compared either

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
What is the clunk I hear so much about?
One of the car mags called it drivetrain shunt. When you are sitting still with the transmission in neutral and shift the transmission into first gear, there is a soft clunk noise. It doesn't happen every single time, but fairly frequently. I would expect it's most likely to happen in a situation where there is the maximum slop in the drivetrain, such as when you just reversed and now you are going forward. The noise doesn't happen when you let out the clutch, it happens with the clutch still depressed when the shifter is moved to put the transmission into first gear.

I think the noise comes from the IRS and/or driveshaft, because pre-2015 the car didn't have it. I had a couple 2011 Mustangs with the MT82 and they didn't clunk. The MT82 in my 2015 GT shifted really great, but the clunk was there. The GT350 has this characteristic the same as the regular Mustangs. It also makes a clunking noise on occasion when you put the transmission into gear. IMO the clunk sound in the GT and GT350 are pretty much exactly the same.

I didnt have an S550, but I had a S197 coyote/MT82 car and I can tell you the transmission is 10x better than the POS MT82. Overall engine response and power obviously cant be compared either
I disagree with this. I do think Ford had a quality issue with shifters when they first started putting the MT82 in Mustangs, but especially by 2015 the MT82 was really good. When I switched from daily driving my 2015 GT to the 2016 GT350, I was disappointed in the shifting of the Tremec box. IMO the 2015+ MT82 in the GT is better than the Tremec in the GT350 for general shift quality just driving around town. I am very happy with how the Tremec works on the track, but it would have been nice to have the shift length be a little shorter than the regular GT rather than longer. Also the feel of the Tremec isn't quite as good as the MT82. Who knows, maybe I ended up with one of the few MT82s that was really good, but my experience with my 2015 GT was I really loved that transmission.

Murphjup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I think this is an interesting thread would like to hear from more who have owned both the GT350 and the GT PP or otherwise...

TIA!

:thumbsup:

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I do own both a 15 base GT/PP Recaro's vs my 16 GT 350 TrackPack. Now my GT is SC'ed so the GT/PP holds a huge advantage in straight line performance. The transmission in the 350 is much better but the mt 82 clunk is just something you get used to, it just takes on the character of the car. The mt 82 is not that bad, yes a little notchey but not a piece of crap like some have suggested in other threads. The 350 is a much smoother and shorter throw from gear to gear, but I'd expect it to be. I do feel the mt82 is best at WOT and not as easy to drive as a daily driver. Trying to just be smooth with the mt82 is a bit tougher. The handling is the biggest difference, I don't know how much $ a guy would need to put into the s550 to even get close to the Shelby Magnaride. That's the true difference you will notice.
Another thing, going from car to car it's a learning curve every time of not bouncing the s550 off redline and vice verse not short shifting when getting back in the 350.
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

gsirakides

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic
More about my thoughts in GT/GT350 and why I decided to buy:

I think you touched on many of my considerations. When I purchased the GT, I was thinking that I would make several modifications - exhaust, springs, stiffening, and other handling improvements. But then it was so damn decent. I was hesitant to screw it up. Even if I did not screw up what I liked about the car, there was the investment in time and money to make it into more than it was. The GT350 seemed like the investment that was worthwhile - Yes, I was hoping the Magnaride was going to be the biggest improvement, let me have comfortable ride for touring and more precise handling for those times I wanted more. I have not driven the GT350, but sat in one and the shifter seemed shorter (I almost put short shift in my GT so yes I was glad to see that), the GT350 exhaust fulfills my desire for a meaner sound - so no need to upgrade that either. Even though this is a big delta in cost, I feel the GT350 will also hold value - but that's a tough one since you can buy a GT for 3-4K under list and the GT350 is easily 3-5K minimum over. At list vs list it would be a no brainer, but that's why they are in so much demand.

Personally, I regretted getting the Recaros in my GT - even though better now with 10K miles, I think for my driving, the stock seats would have more comfort, check again with GT350 Convenience Pack. And I do like having seat heaters now that I am an old fart.

I don't find the GT transmission to be problematic, just that annoying clunk. Coming from Porsche, I would like wider spaced gears though. Find it easily is a 4 speed - 1-3-5-6. Downshifting the short gears at speed is almost never as smooth as in my Porsche. (I used to race Porsche 911) I am getting better at it though.

This is a "bucket list" car for me. My 10 year old Porsche Turbo has nearly the horsepower (455), handles better, and is still worth the price of a new GT350. I could go on about the differences, but that would be for another thread.

Thanks again for (all) your input. I am looking forward to getting my new GT350. Now the biggest decision is whether to drive it home 2500 miles from where I am purchasing or ship it! Personally, I want to drive.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Drive it. I drove mine home 600+ miles and it was an experience you will always remember

Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I would bring mine back in an enclosed trailer, anyways that's what i did and would do again.
Driving 2500 miles on what i'm guessing will mostly be highway, is not the best way to break in an engine. But that's just me.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I disagree with this. I do think Ford had a quality issue with shifters when they first started putting the MT82 in Mustangs, but especially by 2015 the MT82 was really good. When I switched from daily driving my 2015 GT to the 2016 GT350, I was disappointed in the shifting of the Tremec box. IMO the 2015+ MT82 in the GT is better than the Tremec in the GT350 for general shift quality just driving around town. I am very happy with how the Tremec works on the track, but it would have been nice to have the shift length be a little shorter than the regular GT rather than longer. Also the feel of the Tremec isn't quite as good as the MT82. Who knows, maybe I ended up with one of the few MT82s that was really good, but my experience with my 2015 GT was I really loved that transmission.
You may be the only one to say you loved the MT82. I had so many idle lock outs, high rpm shift lock outs, whined in 2nd/3rd, not to mention the lingering worry that it might grenade at any given time, and mine only had 36k miles on it.

I really like the tremec so far, throws are a tad longer but I really like the firm engagement, no lockouts ever, no whining. I'll likely add the MGW shifter and call it day :cheers:

Hughespj47

HughesPJ47
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 Track Pack, '09 MINI Cooper S, 94 SHO
When I got my GT350, it was cold (40s). Third gear was balky, and a little hard to get in first at a stop sometimes. I put it on the track in June (80s) and the tranny was incredible! Gears 2-4, and trying to keep revs above 4K. In this range the transmission was so smooth shifting, it was unbelievable! It's perfect the way it is. I might like a slightly stiffer shifter, but I'll deal with that down the road.

The day I got my car I drove it off the lot and onto the Interstate for a 278 mile breaking drive. Lots of shifting up and down, and gradually harder driving in the first 100 miles on the highway. Seemed to work Ok for a breakin. I later took it on a trip from Colorado to Newport Beach, CA and back. It was a fun drive. I wouldn't think twice on picking up the car and driving it 2500 miles. Just read the thread on breaking in the engine first, and drive that first 100 miles or so accordingly.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You may be the only one to say you loved the MT82. I had so many idle lock outs, high rpm shift lock outs, whined in 2nd/3rd, not to mention the lingering worry that it might grenade at any given time, and mine only had 36k miles on it.

I really like the tremec so far, throws are a tad longer but I really like the firm engagement, no lockouts ever, no whining. I'll likely add the MGW shifter and call it day :cheers:
With the Tremec I've had lockouts in second gear when it's cold and shifting from 4th to 5th tends to be a little crunchy and it was that way from day one. The 2011 MT82s I had weren't the greatest, but the 2015 version was really good. When it was redesigned it made a big difference. I daily drove my 2015 GT for about a year and I had a little over 15,000 miles on it. Really great transmission.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The only gripe I have with my MT82 is a little nibbling on the 3-4 shift when not fully up to temp.

I'd rate it as good as the TR-6060 that was in my GT500....
Sponsored