Sponsored

Rust in spare tire storage!! can this be stopped and repaired?!

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
There’s a leakage point at the roof where the c pillar meets the roof panel. The bond material Ford uses is faulty and cracks. Water then seeps into the cracks and drains into the spare well. If it was a small amount at a time you wouldn’t necessarily see mold or hear water sloshing around as was previously suggested. Check this to see if this is the water egress point.

IMG_5539.jpeg
Sponsored

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
1) The tire looks clean and that is because I did not buy the spare tire kit until November of last year.

2) No it has never been used

3) I will have to look underneath and check.

When I placed the new spare tire kit towards end of last year, I did not see any rust or bubbling of paint.

Taking this into consideration, this happened in the last 6-8 months.
I've seen similar bubbling/corrosion in random locations under a painted metal surface when it wasn't properly cleaned prior to painting.

- Is the car driven in winter?
- Was the black plug securely in place?
- Could salt/moisture from the road entered around the plug that's corroded?

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I will do that but I do not think there is any leak from the trunk/rear windshield area. I get the feeling something spilled and caused this issue. Only thing is, I do not remember if something spilled and what it could have been.

I think you are right about it being a chemical of some sort. Do not know what it is because I checked the carpet in the trunk and it shows no sign of any spills but then again just because it is not showing signs does not mean something did not spill and dry up over time.
I know the white powder corrosion is usually from some type of chemical, but I alway verify, piece of mind I guess. Good luck for that should not happen od such a newer car. Let us know how you repair it.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
That looks like what paint does if you spill brake fluid on it and don't clean it off.
Something was in the trunk an leaked or spilled. that isn't from a water leak.
Was a can of fix a flat stored in there?
The correct way is to strip all the paint in the well, clean with baking soda, then clean with soap, rinse, dry, then spray a primer sealers, then a color coat.
It is a spare tire well por 15 will work, but you have to follow the directions to the T, and it stinks to high heaven. If you get it on your skin forget getting it off till it fades , same with anything you are wearing.
All depends on how much money you want to throw at stopping the rust. both work, one is going to be costly to have done correctly.
Unless the rust is rot through, the Ford rust warranty will not do anything.
Good Luck.

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
It could have been something that happened at the factory too.

Did your car come with the inflator kit? Or a spare tire?
It came with the inflator kit. My inflator kit has been sitting in the left corner of the trunk since I placed the spare tire since November of last year. The kit does not seem to have leaked anything so no sure what else could have spilled to cause the damage.

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
It’s Electro-deposition coating from the OEM and most Pro level body shops know exactly how to handle preserving the factory coating while repairing the damaged areas.
The paint is lifting, it needs to come off.
If you only remove parts of it, the rest will fail later and you get to do it all over again.

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've seen similar bubbling/corrosion in random locations under a painted metal surface when it wasn't properly cleaned prior to painting.

- Is the car driven in winter?
- Was the black plug securely in place?
- Could salt/moisture from the road entered around the plug that's corroded?
- Yes, the car is driven year round.
- I checked and the plug looks secure and flush with the body.
- It could have but I will have to take a closer look and look underneath the body and find out if salt got through somehow.

I know the white powder corrosion is usually from some type of chemical, but I alway verify, piece of mind I guess. Good luck for that should not happen od such a newer car. Let us know how you repair it.
I will keep everyone updated once the fix is done.

That looks like what paint does if you spill brake fluid on it and don't clean it off.
Something was in the trunk an leaked or spilled. that isn't from a water leak.
Was a can of fix a flat stored in there?
The correct way is to strip all the paint in the well, clean with baking soda, then clean with soap, rinse, dry, then spray a primer sealers, then a color coat.
It is a spare tire well por 15 will work, but you have to follow the directions to the T, and it stinks to high heaven. If you get it on your skin forget getting it off till it fades , same with anything you are wearing.
All depends on how much money you want to throw at stopping the rust. both work, one is going to be costly to have done correctly.
Unless the rust is rot through, the Ford rust warranty will not do anything.
Good Luck.
There is a tire inflator kit stored in the trunk that came with the car from factory.

I do not think I am comfortable to do this on my own and would like to have a professional take care of this with the right products and tools.

Thanks for all the input and I will let everyone know how the fix goes once I get it done.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Water has been puddling there off and on for awhile. Keep an eye on it during rain/car washing and find out where it’s originating from.
I noticed a few times on my car that the wiring harness on the right side would get caught in the weatherstripping when closing trunk. Then after washing I'd open trunk to wipe the trunk jamb, I'd see water in trunk. Felt around and the harness and stripping was wet.

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m sure the body shop the OP chooses will know exactly what to do.
https://www.dandvautobody.com/

This is where I am planning to take the car. They have great reviews. Might not be cheap but I plan to keep this car for as long as I can and want this to be fixed properly.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
https://www.dandvautobody.com/

This is where I am planning to take the car. They have great reviews. Might not be cheap but I plan to keep this car for as long as I can and want this to be fixed properly.
Body Shop Looks Legit !
I’m with you, I’d want the trunk color matched with Professional level OE materials.
No way I’d sponge roller apply Tractor Supply Farm Implement paint.
Sponsored

Last edited: