Sponsored

Rumor - Will Mach 1 follow the GT350 in 2018?

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
I always come back to the Shelby American contractual partnership with Ford. That coupled with the fact that Jim Owens, Ford's Shelby brand mgr stated they would not produce a GT350 and a GT500 at the same time. The GT500 is just too important to Ford as a recognizable Ford halo car.

Here is what Shelby stated two years ago upon signing their new agreement.

According to Shelby American president John Luft, though, the Shelby GT500 will continue on as a model well into the Mustang’s next generation. In an exclusive interview at the New York Auto Show last week, Luft told MustangsDaily.com that “the contract [with Ford] has been extended, and we have a long-term vision for our relationship. It has been extended through 2015 and beyond.”

Luft went on to explain that the relationship between Ford and Shelby has been extremely beneficial to both companies. “When something works you just don’t change it,” he said. “Clearly, having a Shelby in their stable as their halo car has really worked for them. Ford Motor Company loves it, their dealers love it, and we love it. It gives us a great platform. So we need Ford Motor Company to develop great base cars.”
Sponsored

Last edited:

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
FYI, Jim Owens relationship with Ford and SAI is a bit blurry. He has gone back and forth, and at times worked for both simultaneously.

JoshMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2003 Mach 1, 64.5 Coupe
I'd be curious if Ford would repeat that next time, though. The underhood space is already tight. One might argue that a Shaker doesn't suit this car as well as it did previous generations. Some time back, someone did a photoshop using the NACA ducts from the '71-'73 Mach 1 rather than a Shaker, and it was a nice integration. I wonder if that's the path Ford would follow...
If the Mach comes back I hope they do a shaker. I have seen that render, it looks good, but I have never been a fan of the 71-73 body. I agree it would take some work to make the shaker look right, but with a completely redesigned and proprietary hood I don't see why it couldn't be done. While I don't plan on getting rid of my 03 Mach, part of me knows that the "collectability" of the 03/04 will take a hit if they bring it back, but at the same time it gives me an excuse to get one. Everyone knows that the only thing better than one Mach 1, is two.

OP
OP

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
I'd be curious if Ford would repeat that next time, though. The underhood space is already tight. One might argue that a Shaker doesn't suit this car as well as it did previous generations. Some time back, someone did a photoshop using the NACA ducts from the '71-'73 Mach 1 rather than a Shaker, and it was a nice integration. I wonder if that's the path Ford would follow...
Dodge is selling every Challenger it can make with the Shaker hood option...

Sponsored

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
Personally, I think Ford will slot the Mach 1 in between the GT and the GT350, much the same way Chevy has done with the SS, 1LE, Z28 and ZL1.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Not true, the Mach engine was similar to the 99/01 Cobra but much more than just an intake change. 96-99 and some 01 Cobra's have a Teksid block while all Mach have a WAP, they have higher compression 9.85:1(99-01)-10.1:1(03-04), different cams(same of 03/04 cobra), and completely redesigned cylinder heads(same as 03/04 cobra) are some of the more major more notable changes, but there are many more differences as well.
Correct.

And, as I indicated, the NA Mach 1 engine wasn't used anywhere else in the Mustang lineup '03-'04.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
GT350 = track car
GT500 = drag car
Mach2 = muscle car? (cruiser?)

What does the Mach represent? What was it's purpose or focus?

With a 10-spd, you do not need an 8krpm 5.2 FPC. I think the Mach2 will come with a 2.7l EB V6 and 10spd with all the GT350 underpinnings.

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
GT350 = track car
GT500 = drag car

With a 10-spd, you do not need an 8krpm 5.2 FPC. I think the Mach2 will come with a 2.7l EB V6 and 10spd with all the GT350 underpinnings.
There is a good chance that a ECO BOOST motor will find it's way into the MACH. V-6 or V-8?

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Bah, would be able to buy the Mustang right when they announce the MY2017 changes which I was hoping would get the 10 speed and maybe a small visual upgrade. But if its true that front facia changes and the 10 speed won't happen until MY2018 it'll be a difficult decision to wait or not :(

Guess it'll depend if the 10 speed is ready and what the best timing is in terms of CAFE.

JoshMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2003 Mach 1, 64.5 Coupe
GT350 = track car
GT500 = drag car

The Mach was the drag car, not a cruiser. The GT500 was a designed to be the most powerful cruiser, while they made their way to the drag strips, that was not the purpose. There was not a nicer Mustang than the GT500.

The 03/04 Mach's were built with that same purpose. "305"HP but more like 330HP really and a straight axle. They were underrated, not for insurance like in the old days, but to make the Cobra's numbers seem better. Don't get me wrong the Cobra's are stock for stock a superior car, but not the $5000 difference in price that was between them. With a simple gear swap the Mach will run down in the mid 12's, which is faster than a stock Cobra. The IRS and T56 gearing proved to be far less effective at the drag strip, and because of that many were surprised when a Mach went faster down the 1320.

A Mach was much like the Boss cars, a track capable street car that had no problem hurting feelings. I see a GT500 getting a EBV6 before the Mach, which I hope neither happens, but will not be surprised when it does.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The Mach was the drag car, not a cruiser. The GT500 was a designed to be the most powerful cruiser, while they made their way to the drag strips, that was not the purpose. There was not a nicer Mustang than the GT500.

The 03/04 Mach's were built with that same purpose. "305"HP but more like 330HP really and a straight axle. They were underrated, not for insurance like in the old days, but to make the Cobra's numbers seem better. Don't get me wrong the Cobra's are stock for stock a superior car, but not the $5000 difference in price that was between them. With a simple gear swap the Mach will run down in the mid 12's, which is faster than a stock Cobra. The IRS and T56 gearing proved to be far less effective at the drag strip, and because of that many were surprised when a Mach went faster down the 1320.

A Mach was much like the Boss cars, a track capable street car that had no problem hurting feelings. I see a GT500 getting a EBV6 before the Mach, which I hope neither happens, but will not be surprised when it does.

ok even better:

GT350 = track car
GT500 = lightweight track star
Mach2 = drag car

If so, the Mach will have a turbo coyote (800HP) and the GT500 will take the 350 to another level of nimbleness and performance.

:ford:

basicwizz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x4
How about an SVO edition ecoboost Mustang? Something limited that comes with beefed up HP and TQ from the factory (maybe 350 at least?) but retain the 2.3 displacement.

Also what about an SHO Mustang? Same TT V6 found in the Taurus SHO, maybe even come with more from the factory as well (380-400 perhaps).

Just a couple thoughts outside the GT###/V8/Mach1 mentions above.
Sponsored