Sponsored

Rumor - The GT500 thread

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I guess we have different standards. To me, if I can get 22-25 mpg on a long trip and make 800+ hp with the same engine it totally qualifies for both being ECOnomic and a BEAST.

That is a completely plausible performance window for a twin turbo Coyote.
I guess we do.

I'm thinking of economical in a broad sense as in no one calling 22-25 mpg "economical." You are thinking in a comparative sense as it contrasts with the gas guzzling potential of the same engine making big power.

It's all good. I think there is some room for interpretation until Ford does something official. Everyone has a different perspective of looking at the same thing and usually, multiple facets of one idea can be explored, credited, discredited, validated, etc. during discussions like these. That's the beauty of forums.

But at least we can agree that an FI V8 with "beastly" power is a proper fit for the GT500.
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I'm thinking of economical in a broad sense as in no one calling 22-25 mpg "economical."
Plenty of people call that economical in lots of applications, chief among them SUVs and full size trucks. The Explorer, Flex and F150 all have the named EcoBoost motors but none get over 25MPG. I don't see the issue putting out a high-HP car that also gets low 20s highway with an "EcoBoost" powerplant.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I guess we do.

I'm thinking of economical in a broad sense as in no one calling 22-25 mpg "economical." You are thinking in a comparative sense as it contrasts with the gas guzzling potential of the same engine making big power.
No one is pretty black and white. :) I get around 20 mpg in my GT in my daily commute. The last 3 pickups I owned all got on the order of 10-12 mpg. On the highway...

Maybe you think ECO means the car has to be compared to a Prius and be better. That seems so far out to be just ridiculous to me. I would compare to another vehicle making comparable power. Oh of course if Ford does the TT Coyote, there's the potential of almost zero cars making comparable power. Only a few exotics will be in the neighborhood.

It's all good. I think there is some room for interpretation until Ford does something official. Everyone has a different perspective of looking at the same thing and usually, multiple facets of one idea can be explored, credited, discredited, validated, etc. during discussions like these. That's the beauty of forums.

But at least we can agree that an FI V8 with "beastly" power is a proper fit for the GT500.
Yup. On both points. :thumbsup:

Well, it really depends, and could totally hinge on a single comma misplaced.

There is small ecoboost (meaning there is in fact a larger one) and there is small, ecoboost (meaning its not a large engine, but eco boost. We shall wait and see :shrug:
I'm not convinced at all by your argument. There are quotes around it, which means Hot Rod is trying to repeat what he said verbatim. Also, he said "the small EcoBoost". There's no room for a comma in that phrase, so a comma would be misplaced if added. There would have to be actual changing or rearranging of words in order to change the meaning.

I agree with you we have to wait and see, though. Like I said before, he could have just miss-stated what he was trying to say. Or Hot Rod put quotes around it but didn't get the words right.

Last edited:

sqidd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots Of Mustangs
-You will not see a Ecoboost, or any boost VooDoo motor.

-A Ecoboost Yote would be nice but I wouldn't hold my breath.

-If it doesn't make 800 I don't see Ford doing it.

My wants:

"Raptor" motor, all aluminum, 400+cu in. 3.0-3.5L blower.

-800hp minimum.

-Auto trans option. Preferably the 10 speed.

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
has there been any actual mention or hint of any kind by ford that a GT 500 will exist anytime soon?

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
It's very possible and feasible to have a two-turbo system on a Coyote. Someone probably was in denial when an engineer at Ford said, "Hey... Let's put a flat planed crank in a Mustang."

It always kills the idea of innovation when people naysay.

Anyways, Ford is on an ecoKick. They are making power and satisfying CAFE issues at the same time. They don't care hat you're gonna put your foot in it every time you get behind he wheel... Rather they care about making the profound statement that our GT500 can get 25mpg and still stomp a god-awful mud hole in your ass.

My girlfriend loves my SCREW F150EB. She calls it her EcoBooty...

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
has there been any actual mention or hint of any kind by ford that a GT 500 will exist anytime soon?
In an interview with Jamal Hameedi at the launch of the GT350, he was asked if the GT350 would be the platform for the GT500. His answer....."this car has got really good bones, so......."

That's about as near to public confirmation that you'll ever get from Ford. We'll have to wait for further spy shots, or order bank details to be leaked, which is pretty much the only way we ever get to know what's coming down the line for Mustang :)

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12287

Q: Is it meant to be a Boss 302 replacement or a GT500 replacement? Where is it positioned in the lineup?
A: It is its own beast. Just because the whole flat plane crank is so different than anything we’ve done and anything that’s out there.

Q: In terms of the body panels, how much does it share with the GT and how much of it is new?
A: From the A-pillar forward it’s all new. The whole rear diffuser is new. Rear quarter panels are the same.

Q: Will this be a platform for the GT500?
A: The car has got really good bones so…

Q: How much fun was it working on this?
A: It was awesome. I don’t want to stop.

Rv-Junke

Rv-Junke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black GT - PP
I have a 2014 GT500 and all I can say is if Ford can come close to that car (power / performance) in this body style...I may have to sell a kidney or something. :-).

IMHO, I hope Ford NEVER gets rid of the big old V8's! It is obnoxious American Muscle, and I really hope it never dies...

Also, to one of the above posts...my 2012 Raptor, fairly tricked out has NEVER seen 12mpg, even with a tail wind going down hill....I've been at 11.6 avg. for 28k miles, but then again I drive it like I stole it all the time!

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
In an interview with Jamal Hameedi at the launch of the GT350, he was asked if the GT350 would be the platform for the GT500. His answer....."this car has got really good bones, so......."

That's about as near to public confirmation that you'll ever get from Ford. We'll have to wait for further spy shots, or order bank details to be leaked, which is pretty much the only way we ever get to know what's coming down the line for Mustang :)

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12287

Q: Is it meant to be a Boss 302 replacement or a GT500 replacement? Where is it positioned in the lineup?
A: It is its own beast. Just because the whole flat plane crank is so different than anything we’ve done and anything that’s out there.

Q: In terms of the body panels, how much does it share with the GT and how much of it is new?
A: From the A-pillar forward it’s all new. The whole rear diffuser is new. Rear quarter panels are the same.

Q: Will this be a platform for the GT500?
A: The car has got really good bones so…

Q: How much fun was it working on this?
A: It was awesome. I don’t want to stop.
He don't want to stop.

Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I still say 289ci FPC twin turbo with 9000rpm redline. Anyhow, there's more than one way to skin a Hellcat.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I also reckon the GT500 we'll see the use of the 10sp auto... I think a lot of the drag fraternity would tick that option. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I certainly hope the 10-speed auto is an option for GT500 :)

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
I don't think it will be a GT500. Period.

My bet is on the Cobra name coming back, and it will use the 350 platform. Followed shortly thereafter by an SAI aftermarket package called the "Super Cobra".
Sponsored