Sponsored

Roof rack for track wheels?

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350R, '11 Mustang GT
Has anyone used or built a roof rack to transport track wheels/tires? I Have seen them and now trying to decide if thats an option for me. Thanks!
Sponsored

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
I don't see a way to attach a serious roof rack to the s197 or s500. There are some from companies like Yakima that hold on to the relatively flimsy plastic surrounds on the s197. These might be ok for a mountain bike but are not nearly rated for a set of track wheels and tires. The same would hold true for any of the suction cup based systems.

You could probably fab something that would work but you are probably better off either figuring out a trunk lid mounted setup or installing a hitch and using a receiver mounted rack.

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or you could just copy boardkat's crazy-awesome setup :)

OP
OP

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@broadkat nice ride and would love to see your set up. Im 10 mins away from LO. Heres pic of my current track car with DOT tires. Getting my GT350 in March and tinkering with the idea of running Hoosiers or similar. But can only do it if I can bring a 2nd set of wheels. I have seen a Boss with 3 wheels on roof and 1 in passenger at Laguna Seca.

@Static LV I have seen many Caymans, Boss etc carry 2nd set of wheels (like attached photo)....just looking for someone who's actually done it with some pointers.
IMG_2425.jpg
IMG_0425.JPG

Sponsored

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@C7 yeah the cayman has a roof rack mount under the rain strips there. Bolts right in and those things can hold some weight. This is pretty common on a lot of euro cars.

On the s550 there is just that little piece of trim above the windows for the rack to attach to. That might be ok for a snowboard or skis but I am thinking its probably not the safest solution for ~160lbs of wheels and tires.

OP
OP

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@C7 yeah the cayman has a roof rack mount under the rain strips there. Bolts right in and those things can hold some weight. This is pretty common on a lot of euro cars.

On the s550 there is just that little piece of trim above the windows for the rack to attach to. That might be ok for a snowboard or skis but I am thinking its probably not the safest solution for ~160lbs of wheels and tires.
Oh...good to know. Guess I will continue to run DOT tires :)

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Can't you fit them in the interior?

OP
OP

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have my GT350 yet to know for sure but if its anything like my s197, No. One wheel may fit in passenger seat. One wheel may fit in the trunk but my trunk is already full with other race gear. Back seat isn't accessible at all with rollbar.

Can't you fit them in the interior?

Last edited:

bam2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT W/PerfPack and Recaros. &67 GTA
You can get a small trailer ( Harbor Freight) $239. Hitch and Harness ( Ebay) $229. then have room for tires and a small tool box and compressor.

Sponsored

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my 2011 I was able to get a full set of 4 18x8.5 255/35R18 in there with much room to spare for all my race junk. One would kinda fit in the spare tire well with enough room to fit another in the trunk, then I could stack 2 in the back seat with the seats folded down, one flat one at an angle. Had enough room for a jack, tools, a popup shelter, cooler, camp chairs, suitcase, laptop bag, etc...

Haven't tried with the s550 yet, no race wheels as of yet. That said, I am the product of a wasted youth and hours of Tetris. If there is a way to fit them I will find it ;)

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
if you wanna check out my rig, drop me a line (it looks like you're in the portland area, too). beats lugging your wheels on the roof! :)

[MENTION=7150]boardkat[/MENTION]; please post up more pics and details of your setup. I'm currently looking into ways to get to the track with wheels, canopy, toolbox, folding chairs, etc, etc.

Your tow rig look pretty cool.

Simmons-Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just put 1 in the trunk and 3 in where the back seat was.

315's on 18x11

Simmons
Sponsored