Sponsored

rock chips!

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Is the paint on these cars really that soft and thin? Yes, this is my daily driver, but the amount of chips i'm getting both on the front AND even sides is getting ridiculous.
I starting using dr colorchip, but every week i'm more and more chips. As I'm driving ill hear small ping sounds knowing I just got another chip. Is lightning blue paint even worse than other paint colors?
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
All you can do is either clearbra, or don't follow cars in front so close. You have to keep your distance.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
yea it sucks, I am probably going to get some ford touch up paint soon so that I can sit down on a Saturday before summer comes into full swing and try my hand at a "real" touch up to practice something that would probably be a useful life long skill for me.

Something I can't really figure out though is why my hood is in such worse shape than my front bumper?

Also if you think the casual DD chips are bad don't change lanes behind a overloaded gravel truck like I did, that messed me up. Also I have found that I notice a lot more debris thrown at me when I am in the far left or right lane on the highway, so I try to stick to the center when I have to be behind people. 1 year of ownership and my front end looks worst then many 10 year old Camry :/

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Something I can't really figure out though is why my hood is in such worse shape than my front bumper?
That's because your bumper is soft, so it can deform and absorb the rock impacts. Whereas the hood is harder so the metal doesn't deform and absorb the impact.

STangfan44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Trucks are my most hated enemy. I am a very careful and patient driver, but Trucks turn me into a leadfooted, aggressive driver. I will do whatever the heck I need to do to get around them as quickly as possible, and I don't let them pass me.

Sponsored

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Buy a Dr. ColorChip kit in your color, and learn how to use it. It's now a regular thing I have to do when I wash the car - take care of rock chips. The good news is that their grabber blue is exact.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I have a bunch now, but I only had two in almost two years (and at that point, 30k miles) before recently. I can only attribute this to having used Klasse sealer glaze. I think it gave me some protection but it wore off and I didn't reapply. I'll probably try to do something about the chips, then give it a couple coats of glaze again.

ZEALOUSDRAGON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Performance Pack, Convertible
SAME

Is the paint on these cars really that soft and thin? Yes, this is my daily driver, but the amount of chips i'm getting both on the front AND even sides is getting ridiculous.
I starting using dr colorchip, but every week i'm more and more chips. As I'm driving ill hear small ping sounds knowing I just got another chip. Is lightning blue paint even worse than other paint colors?

I have a 17 Lightning Blue and have about 20 new chips each month. ITS HORRIBLE!! So I went on a 4 hour drive and installed a flawless takeoff and by the time I made it back it had 7 visible chips in it. I had a silver 16 before and it was nowhere near as bad. I too am beyond sickened by it.:mad::mad::mad: (This is all on the hood BTW)

Last edited:

Sponsored

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I noticed you live in Rock Hill NC lol.
I guess if i lived in a town named after rocks, I could expect the same !
hahah. sorry, couldn't help myself there.

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
You'll have to cave in and do some PPF, or spend your life filling chips. For the sides, you'll need to make your own extra-wide mudflaps for the front wheels. There's just no way around it.

ZEALOUSDRAGON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Performance Pack, Convertible
I noticed you live in Rock Hill NC lol.
I guess if i lived in a town named after rocks, I could expect the same !
hahah. sorry, couldn't help myself there.
Lmao!!! Good one!! :lol::lol:
Sponsored