Sponsored

Reverse to Drive

SBLee29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang V6 w/051a
Anyone else expericing a slip while going from reverse to drive (auto tranny). It may be possible that I'm not coming to enough of a full stop but compared to other cars this car still slides backwards for a second while I'm in drive. Is this normal??
Sponsored

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
"It may be possible that I'm not coming to enough of a full stop"

That right there tells me that your trans is slipping for a reason. You MUST be at a complete stop when going from reverse to drive. Unless you want to replace auto trannys of course.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Drive engages pretty slow on the S550.

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
your foot should be on the brake

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
Yeah.. I dunno what you're thinking bud, it's not a manual.. come to a complete stop, then shift while stationary.

Sponsored

smitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Auto, 13 Escape SEL

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
My 2012 auto the reverse and drive on the first shift of the day would take a second to lock in. Never noticed it elsewhere.

Eliteprophet1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Ecoboost Convertible
I've noticed the same thing with mine. I have a 15 Ecoboost and I come to a complete stop then shift from reverse to drive, but it always takes a second for it to click in to gear. :shrug:

OP
OP
SBLee29

SBLee29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang V6 w/051a
Well obviously you have to come a complete stop. I know that, but it does take a while for drive to engage. Recently I was on an incline and I was going from reverse to drive. When I put it into drive and released the brake to go on the gas, the car started rolling backwards causing me to slam on the brakes so I wouldn't roll into what was behind me.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Well obviously you have to come a complete stop. I know that, but it does take a while for drive to engage. Recently I was on an incline and I was going from reverse to drive. When I put it into drive and released the brake to go on the gas, the car started rolling backwards causing me to slam on the brakes so I wouldn't roll into what was behind me.
I wonder what's the reason behind that. Can't be hard to do a transmission software upgrade.
Besides the 3000rpm shift is still harsh in D mode. Below and above is smooth.

Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Lol..thats how I used to get a good burnout in the 86 305 transam. Back up a little and while rolling back engage drive and stomp it.haha

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Yes, this happens. I never noticed it before, but now that you mention it I can remember this happening. If it's really a problem for you you can prevent it by brake-torquing when you put it in drive.

Arsenalslr95

V6 Tactical Operator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Cyclone
when I reverse and then put the car in drive, it feels like its forever until it starts going

Toofarfromjune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GTPP
My truck does this. I can back up, stop, put it in drive, and it won't be in gear right away because the rpms are still hanging. The rpms drop, and then it will engage drive.

All that weird delay business between rev/drive is just modern drivetrain protection. As mentioned before, these modern automatics are not the same slush boxes of yesteryear that we could neutral dump.

Just be happy you guys don't have the full time "torque management" garbage that my truck has to protect the drivetrain. Cannot be shut off without a full professional tune. No worse feeling that merging into traffic and mashing the pedal and feeling absolutely no power for a second until it starts modestly building up to full throttle over the course of a couple more seconds. It's actually faster if you just roll into it and avoid the overbearing torque management garbage.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
My truck does this. I can back up, stop, put it in drive, and it won't be in gear right away because the rpms are still hanging. The rpms drop, and then it will engage drive.

All that weird delay business between rev/drive is just modern drivetrain protection. As mentioned before, these modern automatics are not the same slush boxes of yesteryear that we could neutral dump.

Just be happy you guys don't have the full time "torque management" garbage that my truck has to protect the drivetrain. Cannot be shut off without a full professional tune. No worse feeling that merging into traffic and mashing the pedal and feeling absolutely no power for a second until it starts modestly building up to full throttle over the course of a couple more seconds. It's actually faster if you just roll into it and avoid the overbearing torque management garbage.
I think my auto also has the so called "torque management".
Sometimes when I am cruising and I suddenly increase the throttle opening just the right amount to stay in gear no downshifting or unlocking the torque converter, I notice the power output would go up and then reduced, and then slowly ramp up. You can tell it by listening the exhaust tone which is very obvious with my Roush axle backs.
Sponsored