Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Not trying to insult, but a common misconception about failures is that there is a single root cause. From what I can tell, there have been a number of different issues. One is valve seals, for instance. Not really a major issue, but Ford has been kind enough to replace engines for a valve seal issue. The engine isn't "blown", but I think many have been associating oil usage with engine failure.

If the engine was out of warranty, most of us would replace the bad seal rather than the entire engine.

That's just one example - I understand there have been some other failures that were more severe and had different causes.
I suppose the valve seals would make sense as to why we see a good amount of oil in our catch cans, or at least I do. The tolerance on the seals may have been deemed necessary for the high rev's of the motor though.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
This thread is depressing. its easy to find a problem when everyone comes to same place to complain or vent. Massed produced vehicles will always yield a % of failures. If the thread could stay professional, the results might be tracked and something to learn from. As it now it should be deleted.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
This thread is depressing. its easy to find a problem when everyone comes to same place to complain or vent. Massed produced vehicles will always yield a % of failures. If the thread could stay professional, the results might be tracked and something to learn from. As it now it should be deleted.
As you mentioned mass produced high performance automobiles will always have a certain percentage engine of failure rates no matter who the manufacturer is and certainly hate to hear about some of these failures affecting some our members.

We can all learn from a thread such as this one but also suggest that we don't need to embellish the situation with remarks such as "there is an alarming rate of engine failures" without providing confirmed facts or statistics.

The bottom line is Ford has produced some ~20,000 GT350/R's over the last 3 MY's and yes there have been some casualties which is very unfortunate but certainly not to the extent that some on here are suggesting and hope that most if not all are covered under the Ford 5 year or 60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Based on the present direction of this thread I also agree that it should be shut down.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
why shut it down? the banter is coming from folks who haven't had an engine replacement and simply choose to believe it's unpossible. as someone who has experienced the joy of waiting 4 months to have my car back to normal, it's a little annoying to see the level of defense from people who haven't been through the process.

if you don't want the thread to be lengthy, don't post...especially if you haven't had an engine go boom.

maybe some actual relevant data will come of this one day, and i think it will surprise the naysayers

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Yeah, this should not be shut down or covered up. There are tracking documents in this thread which are very valuable and contain great information.

Just because the news isn't good means that you just plug your ears and not listen while calling for it to be shut down. Yes, there is some fear mongering here, but there is obviously an issue. This isn't like Matt Maran buying the Ecoboost, learning about LSPI, and then using that to justify selling his car and telling others to avoid the I4. That's a known byproduct of existing boosted engines, and made worse by DI.

This is the largest FPC V8 in mass production with multiple failures reported and the engines aren't being allowed to be touched. That's something that customers should be able to learn about, and we as customers as well shouldn't inhibit that. If some sort of root cause can be identified so that a sticky can be thrown up such as "engines have contamination potential, early oil changes needed" that would be beneficial and helpful to everyone, which is the exact purpose of car forums.

Socalrugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4111
Just because the news isn't good means that you just plug your ears and not listen while calling for it to be shut down.
reminds me of this scene:

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
As an American serving overseas I have no European sensitivities, and yes, I find your use of the term "Japs" offensive. Instead of politics, personal attacks, and insults, it would be nice if we can figure out 1) If there is a widespread blown engine problem; 2) If so, what's causing it.
Sorry I offended your sensitivities. It was short for Japanese. Any insult was only in your mind. I respect the Japs greatly.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hopefully this thread doesn’t go away but I’m sure some of the ford shills on here would love to see that happen. It’s gets more and more difficult by the day to take the position that there isn’t an issue with the 5.2
I think the member keeping the spreadsheet has given up on tracking the failures. Anyone that denies there is an alarming rate of engine failures at this point cannot be taken seriously

*edit* how ironic. While I’m typing, a perfect example in galaxys post. Let’s hide the issue to protect the value of the car and prevent would be buyers from learning about the engine issues. Pathetic.
This

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
So apparently a couple of people with 18 LFG 350s have motors just bought it on the Ford Shelby GT350 Owners Facebook page.

Couple of other different folks also posting on associated threads, with early chassis numbers (also LFG) chiming in as well...both with bad motors.

Hmmm...not good.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
So apparently a couple of people with 18 LFG 350s have motors just bought it on the Ford Shelby GT350 Owners Facebook page.

Couple of other different folks also posting on associated threads, with early chassis numbers (also LFG) chiming in as well...both with bad motors.

Hmmm...not good.
Why would body color have anything to do with motor failures?

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Why would body color have anything to do with motor failures?
None whatsoever...

If I read another color...I'd be stating that too.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
TrackAttack yesterday. Two days surrounded by owners and enthusiast. Not a single conversation about blown engines or oil consumption. The most controversial conversation I overheard or was a part of was the bumper gap. I found that interesting considering the huge epidemic we’re having.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
TrackAttack yesterday. Two days surrounded by owners and enthusiast. Not a single conversation about blown engines or oil consumption. The most controversial conversation I overheard or was a part of was the bumper gap. I found that interesting considering the huge epidemic we’re having.
I brought up oil consumption to the guys I was hanging out with @track attack in august - no one had excessive consumption to report. I wish I would've asked the instructors if the school had lost any motors, that would be interesting. None of the cars in our class had problems during the day.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My experience is the Voodoo doesn't use oil at the track or if driven like a "normal" engine on the street (only running at high revs when the resultant power is needed). I think it's excessive time spent at high RPM with low load that causes the engine to use oil (barring a defect).

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Where is that spreadsheet someone was keeping on all the blown motors? I can't find it now.

(And I have a new LFG. Should I be worried?! lol I also have a 996. Google 996 and IMS bearing. Now I own two dream cars that could self destruct at any moment! :-( )