Sponsored

Red tail lights

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang | V8 | Grabber Blue
I have found vinyl i like, its Oracal 8300 series transparent vinyl from ebay, they do a range of colours in a4 sheets - which is enough to make 2 taillight templates. There are different shades of red and i have gone for 031 - a darker red is 032 and a lighter one 030 i think. I think young manders told me that is the same stuff used by anchor room (031). It's perhaps a tad on the dark side (light visibility is noticibly darker) but i dont mind that, it will certainly be legal i would think.

Seeing as the anchor room templates were shocking, i grabbed another set of the vinyl tints i used on the ecoboost because the fitment was spot on IMO, just wasnt keen on the material. Anyway, from that i am making new cutouts using the new vinyl and having someone wrap it for me on Tuesday so i will report back! I did try myself but it sint easy :(
Yes that oracal transparent series is the same anchor room use. After I fked mine up I asked anchor room which colour code they used so I could replace it and they wouldn't tell me

"Proprietary information" apparently .

I find that oracal stuff more translucent than transparent unfortunately. But perhaps that's the trade off to make it come out not pink
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You got close ups ? Is that anchor room ?
I think Gibbo has a brand called Hexis. Looks very similar to the anchor room colour IMO.

Will get some good closeups of mine tomorrow afternoon when i pick it up.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Gibbo runs hexis, hexis only do one red. They were insatalled by Evolve in Derby.

Oracal run multiple different grades of red as Kristian mentioned, AR tints are the 031 variety. I've had both an AR set sat next to Oracle tints, and trust me on this, it's 031... Granted, AR if you mess up will try and rip you off regardless of their "doofus proof warranty" or whatever...

For what it's worth, I'm looking at swapping my tint from 031 oracal to something else, either Hexis or lacquer painted. as currently the orange is far far too dark and hidden under the wrap, as Oracal use a fairly thick wrap, which is never that good for differing coloured lights behind it.

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gibbo runs hexis, hexis only do one red. They were insatalled by Evolve in Derby.

Oracal run multiple different grades of red as Kristian mentioned, AR tints are the 031 variety. I've had both an AR set sat next to Oracle tints, and trust me on this, it's 031... Granted, AR if you mess up will try and rip you off regardless of their "doofus proof warranty" or whatever...

For what it's worth, I'm looking at swapping my tint from 031 oracal to something else, either Hexis or lacquer painted. as currently the orange is far far too dark and hidden under the wrap, as Oracal use a fairly thick wrap, which is never that good for differing coloured lights behind it.
http://www.hexis-graphics.com/en/produit/cristal-c4000/

is this the jobby? seems they do 3 reds - any idea which one?
C4249 looks most likely

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh really, places I called said there "Was only one hexis red"... You got any tinting places local worth asking them and seeing, it'll usally be dark (crimson), light (Pink) or medium (red)
any tinting places ive got in touch with local are "sorry, we do not wrap lights"
or "sorry we don't have transparent red vinyl"

northern ireland can be fairly useless when you ask people to step out of their comfort zone

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
any tinting places ive got in touch with local are "sorry, we do not wrap lights"
or "sorry we don't have transparent red vinyl"

northern ireland can be fairly useless when you ask people to step out of their comfort zone
I had that from some, but to be honest. take the vinyl to do them and ask them to, they just will say they'll warranty the work but not the "Product". :thumbsup:.

Otherwise get some remove the lights and do it yourself, really isn't that hard with lights off.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Finally!

Ok, here it is. Over the moon with these :) a much better fit than the Anchor Room ones, and I really like the vinyl colour - a touch darker than the set I had on the EB - it really looks great.

To put some context around the photos; with the bright sun directly on them, this is probably the "worst" they look IMO. Not that they look bad but it IS difficult to see the amber lights, and the red lights for that matter - when the sun is on them. Personally I think you will have that problem with whichever vinyl you use. Happy to be proved wrong though!

One of the pics actually shows the orange light on. For fun I will leave it to you to figure out which ;)

In the close up, the vinyl may look a bit tacky and scratched but again, I think that is just the sunlight highlighting it.

Considering I cut out the templates myself, I'm very happy with them. Feels great to have my red lights back!
1.jpg
5.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
3.jpg

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve