Sponsored

Red tail lights

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
Cheers Kristjan. Very please with how they look. I just wish they had a bit more of a gloss finish rather than a dull red. I have the templates now so will keep experimenting.

If you are really nervous about it, my advice would be to trace the templates like I have the. Cut them out and see how they would position before you go ahead with the real deal.

It's easy tho. I have never done this before and did it in windy weather whilst being outside. Just take your time. Have plenty of application fluid to hand. I used my fingers and a microfibre cloth.

First position it as you would like. Using microfibres cloth get most of the water out. Then a quick dab of heat fro the heat gun from a good distance. That will then show you where the rest of the water is stuck. Work it out and then just take it from there.
Sponsored

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang | V8 | Grabber Blue
Cheers Kristjan. Very please with how they look. I just wish they had a bit more of a gloss finish rather than a dull red. I have the templates now so will keep experimenting.

If you are really nervous about it, my advice would be to trace the templates like I have the. Cut them out and see how they would position before you go ahead with the real deal.

It's easy tho. I have never done this before and did it in windy weather whilst being outside. Just take your time. Have plenty of application fluid to hand. I used my fingers and a microfibre cloth.

First position it as you would like. Using microfibres cloth get most of the water out. Then a quick dab of heat fro the heat gun from a good distance. That will then show you where the rest of the water is stuck. Work it out and then just take it from there.
I don't get why all these places aren't using a more glossy red ? There must be a reason behind it.

Wonder if you could apply some sort of gloss to the vinyl ? I think plasti dip do a glossifier spray

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh well

File%20Jul%2002%2C%206%2034%2016%20PM.jpg

In other news - yeh they are a bit matte. Humm- think I'll go to my usual wrapping place and see if they have a more transparent red

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Oh well

In other news - yeh they are a bit matte. Humm- think I'll go to my usual wrapping place and see if they have a more transparent red
Been there, done that :doh:

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
aaa man! sucks!. To be fair, I will be looking for a more glossy finish eventually. I have the templates so all I need is a film and then cut it out. ill be looking at what 3M have to offer.

seen this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-x-120c...ap-/262393459695?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

May order it after some research. cheap as chips. ill cut some based on the templates and can send you a pair over. Will keep you posted (all puns are always intended)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
[MENTION=24212]Drcooper[/MENTION] and @Krystian.

Youre light kits will leave me today, hopefully you'll get them by Wednesday.

Dont forget to make templates!!

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
[MENTION=24212]Drcooper[/MENTION] and @Krystian.

Youre light kits will leave me today, hopefully you'll get them by Wednesday.

Dont forget to make templates!!
Awesome. Thanks Nige..

Must admit, the clear lights have grown on me a little but still got the urge to go back to red! Doesn't feel like mine without them now!

Defo gunna pay someone to do it for me. ÂŁ30 last time, not much to pay for peace of mind :)

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
aaa man! sucks!. To be fair, I will be looking for a more glossy finish eventually. I have the templates so all I need is a film and then cut it out. ill be looking at what 3M have to offer.

seen this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-x-120c...ap-/262393459695?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

May order it after some research. cheap as chips. ill cut some based on the templates and can send you a pair over. Will keep you posted (all puns are always intended)
thanks

i still have the left hand side lights to trace from here - only fit 2 of them, and both ended up with "very small" bubble - but it was enough for me to go fuck it and rip them off again - moreso because the finish of the vinyl didn't look oem.

the vinyl is translucent rather than transparent is the problem with these - rather than the gloss factor.

need a more transparent vinyl so that it looks right i think

Last edited:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Looks good, not sure about the BMW with 8 exhaust pipes though on that page, HAHA!

Sponsored

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to update - that tint I got above turned out too pink

Anyone find a glossy red alternative yet

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I can confirm I have done some painting experiments and initial findings are that all lacquers and thinners appear to not affect the clear plastic?

I will post more info as it happens.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just to update - that tint I got above turned out too pink

Anyone find a glossy red alternative yet
I have found vinyl i like, its Oracal 8300 series transparent vinyl from ebay, they do a range of colours in a4 sheets - which is enough to make 2 taillight templates. There are different shades of red and i have gone for 031 - a darker red is 032 and a lighter one 030 i think. I think young manders told me that is the same stuff used by anchor room (031). It's perhaps a tad on the dark side (light visibility is noticibly darker) but i dont mind that, it will certainly be legal i would think.

Seeing as the anchor room templates were shocking, i grabbed another set of the vinyl tints i used on the ecoboost because the fitment was spot on IMO, just wasnt keen on the material. Anyway, from that i am making new cutouts using the new vinyl and having someone wrap it for me on Tuesday so i will report back! I did try myself but it sint easy :(

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
One that Blake took yesterday. :)
IMG_1323.JPG