Sponsored

Recommendations on Open Tilt Car Trailer, Please.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
i recently bought a primo aluminum open trailer and added a aluminum tool box on nose to contain winch/battery. The trailer has a dove tail with 7 degree angle and the ramps double as rock protection on front of trailer. I use the provided ramps with my low angle race ramps and my 2019 gt350 goes on with absolutely no issue.. I bought the primo brand new for 7.5k after looking at many other aluminum trailers at twice the price (ie: Futura). Good luck
I see you're in Houston. Where did you buy it from? Montgomery Trailer?
Sponsored

TrackRat350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Yes.. I bought it from Montgomery Trailer in Conroe.. Great experience and reasonable price.

OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
i recently bought a primo aluminum open trailer and added a aluminum tool box on nose to contain winch/battery. The trailer has a dove tail with 7 degree angle and the ramps double as rock protection on front of trailer. I use the provided ramps with my low angle race ramps and my 2019 gt350 goes on with absolutely no issue.. I bought the primo brand new for 7.5k after looking at many other aluminum trailers at twice the price (ie: Futura). Good luck
?? Not sure of the purpose of your post other than to make me feel bad about spending more than 2x on a Futura. Glad you got a rocking deal on your Primo. “Good luck” to you as well. Oh, BTW, do I understand correctly that you have to use two sets of ramps? “The provided ramps with” your “low angle race ramps”. My Futura does not require any ramps at all. 3 degree approach angle off the bare trailer bed. My Mustang, and Boxster clear with room to spare.

TrackRat350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
LOL Holmes.. Not trying to make anyone feel bad at all and I am a huge fan of the Futura.. I was seriously looking at a Futura and I really liked the low approach angle without needing any additional ramps. My solution is definitely not as sexy as the Futura but the cost of the trailer, the box, winch and race ramps came in much less.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
LOL Holmes.. Not trying to make anyone feel bad at all and I am a huge fan of the Futura.. I was seriously looking at a Futura and I really liked the low approach angle without needing any additional ramps. My solution is definitely not as sexy as the Futura but the cost of the trailer, the box, winch and race ramps came in much less.
Thanks. It was nice of you to respond. I do wish that Futura had been a good bit less expensive. I know it comes at a premium. Hopefully, it will give many years of good service. If I might ask, what do you use for a tow vehicle? I pull with an F-150 with the Max Tow package. Seems to handle the mustang and trailer with no issues. Although, it likely weighs in at a tad over 5,000 lbs. probably something like 5,300 To 5,400. I believe Ford recommends a weight distribution hitch if over 5,000 lbs. wondering what other folks have experienced or are doing with regard to weight distribution hitch.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This is sort of where I am at, which is why I am glad OP started this thread. It's easy to spend a good chunk of change for a trailer that really has no use outside hauling cars. But I also get nervous with a trailer like yours being built more "light". I am actually going to drive up to Montgomery this weekend and take a look at one. But I am torn on spending more for enclosed, which allows more usability, vs open carry, and throwing my topper on so I can sleep in the back of my truck on track days.

There is a couple other dealers north of Houston selling other aluminum trailers around that 10-13k mark, but one friend bought one and it already has one weld failing.

TrackRat350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
All good questions. I am towing with a Toyota Sequioa which has a tow rating of 7500 I think - fairly light by most truck standards as it has a independent rear suspension. I would have definitely liked to have a enclosed trailer for the car, but an enclosed with car would likely put me over my max weight rating. As admission - I do have a small enclosed trailer that I use for my karts and other small moving tasks-which is convenient. I do use a weight distribution hitch on the primo trailer and it has brakes on both axles. I did call Primo to confirm that there was no issue using a weight distribution hitch on the aluminum trailer. I do recommend taking a look at the trailer for comparison. I looked at others and did not see a significant difference. My biggest complaint for all manufacturers is the use of the cheap tires. I have not put many miles on mine yet, but do plan to replace them with Goodyear next year. I typically pull from Houston area to COTA and it pulls very nicely.

TrackRat350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I did think of one negative of the Primo that I did overcome. The fenders are not easily removable as on some other trailers and my car with track wheels/tires would not allow for easy opening of drivers door. I did "modify" the fender to drop it about 1/2" so that I can now easily open the door without issue.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a Timpte 718, similar to your Futura. The only extra thing I can offer is to disconnect the battery when not in use, unless you have a solar charger keeping it topped off.

I learned the hard way that the wireless remote drains the battery, and it will be dead a couple months in storage.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I've been holding off on purchasing since before OP posted this. It appears Aluma has come down to a price that I consider reasonable (At least enough to try and negotiate on one).

Anyone have experience with the Aluma tilt trailers? I am specifically looking at an 18' model, pretty basic. I am going to check it out this weekend, but I am guessing I will still have to build ramps or buy race ramps to get onto the trailer.

1673532982614.png

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I've been holding off on purchasing since before OP posted this. It appears Aluma has come down to a price that I consider reasonable (At least enough to try and negotiate on one).

Anyone have experience with the Aluma tilt trailers? I am specifically looking at an 18' model, pretty basic. I am going to check it out this weekend, but I am guessing I will still have to build ramps or buy race ramps to get onto the trailer.

1673532982614.png
Please guys report experiences.
Need a New a trailer.
Futura is out of budget and I recently heard... some issue.
Probably random ones but if I can find for something less..

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Please guys report experiences.
Need a New a trailer.
Futura is out of budget and I recently heard... some issue.
Probably random ones but if I can find for something less..
Picked up that trailer in my photograph. Love it. I still need 2x12's to load the car, but if I was stock, it would load no problem. The only thing I am considering adding is a different tie down mechanism because the straps you see there allow a little play. I can crank down on the P-brake, but I don't feel like it's a good solution.

1710327192215-yo.png

If you are allowed to customize, I would forgo the deck lighting ('ve never used it, even unloading in the dark) and definitely get the winch plate/winch installed. And a son who loves winches. Two person loading is so much easier.
1710327422083-f8.png

1710327455357-1a.png

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The Aluma trailer I had was a real nice option for the price. It was different than the one above, in that mine did not have the extra step of the ramps, but I can see where that would probably improve the approach angle. I also had to lay down 2x lumber to get the nose up a little before driving on the trailer so the extra effort to set ramps up happened in my case anyway because of the lumber.

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The Aluma trailer I had was a real nice option for the price. It was different than the one above, in that mine did not have the extra step of the ramps, but I can see where that would probably improve the approach angle. I also had to lay down 2x lumber to get the nose up a little before driving on the trailer so the extra effort to set ramps up happened in my case anyway because of the lumber.
Try Shadow trailers http://www.shadowtrailer.com/ They have a ton of horse trailers but also make car haulers - or did. Mine is all aluminum and only weighs 1,100 lbs or so which is what I needed since my tow vehicles has a low towing capacity. I have to use just a small wood board to lift the angle of the ramp so the front spoiler clears.

IMG_6223.jpeg
IMG_6222.jpeg
IMG_6224.jpeg

IMG_6221.jpeg
Sponsored