Sponsored

Recommendation for Stainless Steel Brake Lines for Track Use

Mr2raw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I'm about to go to my first HPDE event ever and I am looking to upgrade to SS brake lines.

From doing extensive reading on the forums, the most used are the Steeda and Goodridge SS lines. I read somewhere that the Steeda lines are made by Goodridge. Not sure how true that is.

Anyway, a lot of members have commented that the length of the Steeda lines is an issue while some members had issues installing the Goodridge lines as well. I read on one of the posts that the Goodridge SS lines were revised a couple years back.

As for buying the lines at this moment, which brands would members recommend? And are the issues I have mentioned above still exist? Have the manufacturers made the necessary revisions to address these problems?

Thanks
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
What problem mentioned above, is the fact that the same manufacturer could be producing the same SS line?
And Steeda is selling the item with their name on the packaging?

Questions, are you that nieve to believe that most things are not made by a common manufacturer?

SS flex lines only have a SS mesh cover over a Teflon hose.

Steeda or Goodridge SS lines, I will say this. Steeda has race cars. Is capable and most likely tests a number of the products sold. Not talking bling and do-dads here.

So which or who would be the best resource?

Think about it.

3pdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
interesting topic. i run galfer on my sport bike and like them but it might be the extra strength placebo effect. lots of options for a pp1: wilwood, stoptech, russell, powerstop, j&m, goodridge, and probably more.
i would love to see actual data about pedal firmness and stopping distance improvements as well as anecdotal reports.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
For your first HPDE event it may be best to take the car as it is and see what seems to be the shortcomings. I recently ran Daytona, shutting it down from 140 to under 60 twice a lap and I brake late/hard. No problems with the stock lines. If I change anything before another track day it would be more negative camber for the day which would likely trim my lap times a lot more than brake lines.

OP
OP
Mr2raw

Mr2raw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
interesting topic. i run galfer on my sport bike and like them but it might be the extra strength placebo effect. lots of options for a pp1: wilwood, stoptech, russell, powerstop, j&m, goodridge, and probably more.
i would love to see actual data about pedal firmness and stopping distance improvements as well as anecdotal reports.
I don't have a PP1. But I assume the lines should fit the same as long as it is a 5.0? What worries me is just the fitment issues/short lines that came up on a few of the threads I came across.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mr2raw

Mr2raw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For your first HPDE event it may be best to take the car as it is and see what seems to be the shortcomings. I recently ran Daytona, shutting it down from 140 to under 60 twice a lap and I brake late/hard. No problems with the stock lines. If I change anything before another track day it would be more negative camber for the day which would likely trim my lap times a lot more than brake lines.
My car currently has Steeda suspension, FP sway bars , Maximum motorsport camber plates and PS4S with an allignment more toward spirited driving. I was already thinking about doing a brake fluid change with Motul RBF 600 anyway so I was considering switching out the lines while I'm at it.

3pdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
I recently ran Daytona, shutting it down from 140 to under 60 twice a lap and I brake late/hard. No problems with the stock lines.
my experience with stock lines at road atlanta was similar. trying my hardest to threshold brake from 140mph into 10a and had no brake issues whatsoever using castrol srf. almost lost the rear end once.

OP
OP
Mr2raw

Mr2raw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What problem mentioned above, is the fact that the same manufacturer could be producing the same SS line?
And Steeda is selling the item with their name on the packaging?

Questions, are you that nieve to believe that most things are not made by a common manufacturer?

SS flex lines only have a SS mesh cover over a Teflon hose.

Steeda or Goodridge SS lines, I will say this. Steeda has race cars. Is capable and most likely tests a number of the products sold. Not talking bling and do-dads here.

So which or who would be the best resource?

Think about it.

I don't have any issues with Steeda sourcing their products from another maker. What concerns me is the fitment issues I keep reading about Steeda on multiple threads. The fitment issues comes up on threads about Goodridge too, the lines could be exactly identical or could be slightly different. Some reviews on the Steeda product page itself talked about fitment issues as well.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...inless-steel-brake-hoses-on-their-s550.84976/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...e-line-to-tire-clearance.165845/#post-3375712

These are just 2 of the threads talking about line issues

I just don't want to spend a lot of $ on something and run into trouble installing it. That's why I am asking others if they are running into the same issues still or if these manufacturers addressed the issues already and the fitment is no longer an issue.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I recently put the steeda lines on my PP2 and am very happy with them. They made the peddle feel more even and not the initial "grabbiness". As for fitment, a little extra length wouldn't hurt but they are very doable. Getting the banjo fitting pointed the proper direction helps a lot. There's no binding or pulling, even while on jacks so I'm fine with them.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I recently put the steeda lines on my PP2 and am very happy with them. They made the peddle feel more even and not the initial "grabbiness". As for fitment, a little extra length wouldn't hurt but they are very doable. Getting the banjo fitting pointed the proper direction helps a lot. There's no binding or pulling, even while on jacks so I'm fine with them.
Whoops. That should tell you they aren’t transmitting force as well as the stock ones if you lose initial bite, but hopefully its just some air in the lines.

This is the entire problem with SS brake lines. Are they an improvement or are they just snake oil? Most people can’t tell better from worse.

Sponsored

Hotpart.com

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002, 2006, 2015 Mustangs
We are the only brake hose manufacturer that makes an exact copy of the factory fittings which guarantees fitment. Keep in mind that they make different hoses for the MagneRide, GT350, & GT500 cars.
22560C-Front-Rear-600x600.jpg

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I like I mentioned on another forum (assume that was you OP), I have these ^^^^ (J&M) and they fit perfectly. Recommend, also because of their support (answered my dumb email within an hour).

OP
OP
Mr2raw

Mr2raw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like I mentioned on another forum (assume that was you OP), I have these ^^^^ (J&M) and they fit perfectly. Recommend, also because of their support (answered my dumb email within an hour).
That was me haha. I saw your reply on the other thread.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Whoops. That should tell you they aren’t transmitting force as well as the stock ones if you lose initial bite, but hopefully its just some air in the lines.

This is the entire problem with SS brake lines. Are they an improvement or are they just snake oil? Most people can’t tell better from worse.
I think you misunderstood what I was attempting to say. Braking is much better and smoother. I was talking about they factory lines making the brakes "grabby" when you first touch the peddle, now they brake even and solid. SS are definitely an improvement over factory lines.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I put the stoptech ones on when I upgraded to the brembo's and the pedal is very nice and firm. Love it.
Sponsored