Sponsored

Real world upgrades - Best kits/tunes for low to mid power

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
As long as you stay under 7psi of boost, you don't need an intercooler at all according to this hot rod article. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1208-are-intercoolers-worth-it/

"Inlet charge-air heating is not a big deal at low boost pressures (say, 5 to 7 psi). Consider 7 to 9 psi as the crossover region. But when boost hits 10 psi, charge-air heating becomes a serious problem; at this point, the charge-air requires cooling to maintain optimum system efficiency. Getting the air temperature down raises the air density in the combustion chamber, offering the potential to greatly increase engine power output because more air and fuel can be squeezed into the same volume of space. Also, a cooler charge in the combustion chamber reduces the risk of detonation—otherwise, all the hot air would require backing off the ignition lead, further reducing power."

A $1000.00 bucks...Of course with the factory IC could get heat soaked faster then an upgraded IC. Just saying you might not be able to keep up during normal driving in warmer weather...Oh, maybe Turbo by Garrett's FAQ states the same thing: https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/faq_intercooler
"
A. Heat soak is when the intercooler can't dissipate the heat that it absorbs from the turbo fast enough. When an intercooler can't cool the charge air by removing the heat from it, it loses its effectiveness. This explains why turbo cars tend to run slower or have slightly less power when the weather is warm.

FAQ Category:
Intercooler

FAQ Question:
Q. What is intercooler heat soak?"

Do you need my paypal account to send the $1000.00 bucks too? Thanks...
I'm talking real life...

Hell, I can list a bunch of links, but they don't mean sht in real life, do they?

Even if I lost "power", what exactly would that mean in real life? In an area that the speed limit at tops is 55 mph? (Okay, people technically go 70 mph and over on 495.)

What I'm saying is we get off the internet and see what the cars do in real life. ;)

You want to drive up to DC, let me know... I'll make it $5000 against your $1000.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
What [MENTION=21778]jrock[/MENTION] wrote has all of the information and then some to disspell your notions about intercoolers .....

Granted you live in and around DC area codes .. I am not angry I am rocken a race intercooler this year and have plenty of cooling for these 93 and up degree days and nights ...

If by chance you are able to do more research into your desired options .. reach out and ask questions ..
Oh, gee.. the old snide remark... lol... you tried that last year. :lol:

At any rate, I'll exit from this good thread... anyone want to take me up, hit me on PM... I'm not going anyplace.

I'm tired of talking... money talks and BS walks. Going to be nice and hot in DC for while... all to your advantage. :cool:

In other words, get your hands off the keyboard, get in your car, and show me. If not, STFU.

OP, if you want the IC, get it... does not matter to me either way... makes you happy, that is money well spent. Just make sure your local dealer does not have an issue with it. Dealers can be a pain in the rear over simple mods.

Last edited:

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
Ha ha ha... you sound angry and hurt.

I'm always disappointed when I make comments about intercoolers and no one replies to my comment. You never fail to leave me disappointed and LMAO. :lol:

At any rate, I still have $1000 for anyone who can show me in daily driving how my IC will fail and/or I can't keep up with you... we can drive together over the course of three hours, not going more than 5 mph over the posted speed limit. All the talk, should be EASY money for some lucky person around DC. I'm talking real world... no graphs and BS. Not talking about racing either (I won't race)... just riding around. We can go in all the stop and go traffic you want.

And considering I live in DC, think I know about driving in traffic... just saying.

I totally dismiss your idea that everyone needs an IC... that is correct. BUT I did not totally dismiss the idea. If tracking the car, you need one.... or if you really want one, get it. Long as your dealer is cool with it.
Wish you were in ny neck of the woods. Easy 1000$ . Youre not gonna feel anything ny the time you floor it cause your timing is already pulled. Anything that datalogs can show you timed being pulled even at 10 psi

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
I'm talking real life...

Hell, I can list a bunch of links, but they don't mean sht in real life, do they?

Even if I lost "power", what exactly would that mean in real life? In an area that the speed limit at tops is 55 mph? (Okay, people technically go 70 mph and over on 495.)

What I'm saying is we get off the internet and see what the cars do in real life. ;)

You want to drive up to DC, let me know... I'll make it $5000 against your $1000.
@jmat is always trying to steal the thread.
I'm not saying anyone has to get an afermarket intercooler or keep the factory unit. I don't sell intercoolers. But, I do run my car at the loacl SCCA events. A bigger intercooler alone has improved my times over my factory unit. That's real world.
Oh well, wasted my time.:doh:...lol Brick Wall:frusty::frusty:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
One thing I'm curious about... (I guess I'll know soon anyway.. lol) is how the tune impacts the normal "driving mode" control.

Other than changing the shift points; I'm not sure what the mode switch does. Does it change any parameters that are shared with the tune?
Yes. Aside from the shift points, the driving mode switch changes throttle and steering response, and settings for the stability control system. If you have an automatic transmission switching it to "S" (sport) increases throttle response, but does not affect steering or stability control. Using the mode switch on the panel to select Sport+ increases throttle and steering response, but doesn't change stability control. Track mode provides the most direct throttle and steering response, and reduces intervention of the stability control system. You can turn stability control off completely with the mode switch on the panel. The owner's manual is a bit circumspect about what changes with snow/wet mode, but my seat-of-the-pants tells me it severely restricts throttle response, and likely decreases engine power output as well.

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
@jmat is always trying to steal the thread.
I'm not saying anyone has to get an afermarket intercooler or keep the factory unit. I don't sell intercoolers. But, I do run my car at the loacl SCCA events. A bigger intercooler alone has improved my times over my factory unit. That's real world.
Like any other mod, an intercooler upgrade serves a specific purpose. If you're tracking your car (which assumes you are willing to void your warranty) then an intercooler is a no-brainer. For the daily driver who wants to maintain warranty coverage the $time$ investment vs performance gain of an upgraded intercooler may not be worth it; an intercooler upgrade isn't going to shave any time off my daily 35-minute commute no matter how hot it gets.

Last edited:

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Oh, gee.. the old snide remark... lol... you tried that last year. :lol:

At any rate, I'll exit from this good thread... anyone want to take me up, hit me on PM... I'm not going anyplace.

I'm tired of talking... money talks and BS walks. Going to be nice and hot in DC for while... all to your advantage. :cool:

In other words, get your hands off the keyboard, get in your car, and show me. If not, STFU.

OP, if you want the IC, get it... does not matter to me either way... makes you happy, that is money well spent. Just make sure your local dealer does not have an issue with it. Dealers can be a pain in the rear over simple mods.

I am thinking that there is probably no 1 really interested in driving to you to prove a point .

I will just bow out and wish you the best with your Vert turbo .. have a nice day ...

OP
OP
panhandler62

panhandler62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. Aside from the shift points, the driving mode switch changes throttle and steering response, and settings for the stability control system. If you have an automatic transmission switching it to "S" (sport) increases throttle response, but does not affect steering or stability control. Using the mode switch on the panel to select Sport+ increases throttle and steering response, but doesn't change stability control. Track mode provides the most direct throttle and steering response, and reduces intervention of the stability control system. You can turn stability control off completely with the mode switch on the panel. The owner's manual is a bit circumspect about what changes with snow/wet mode, but my seat-of-the-pants tells me it severely restricts throttle response, and likely decreases engine power output as well.
So... the only parameter that might be shared is the throttle response. Does switching to Sport+ still increase this when you have a tune?

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
So... the only parameter that might be shared is the throttle response. Does switching to Sport+ still increase this when you have a tune?
I think you'd have to ask the vendor who supplies the tune that question. Some forum members say they no longer need to switch to Sport+ after installing a tune. It seems to me if you are installing a tune you want that performance all the time without having to switch it on, so I would want a tune that does that for me.

OP
OP
panhandler62

panhandler62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the FP Procal with the GT-350 airbox. I would hope Ford would handle that. lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
panhandler62

panhandler62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Rats... Levitown is backordered. SHould ship at the end of the week. Was kind of looking forward to this weekend. :(

Rob0381

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang RS1 Premium W/PP
Got my ProCal kit from CJPonyparts for $533 shipped. You’ll have to post in the CJPP forum and ask for a discount code to get that price. Ordered last Wed, and it arrived last Fri.

OP
OP
panhandler62

panhandler62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
panhandler62

panhandler62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From the silly argument earlier in the thread .... I have been watching my inlet temperature.

Running at ~ 60 mph in normal driving it's about 10 to 15 degrees over ambient. In heavy stop and go traffic it's about 25 to 30 over ambient. I have not watched it under heavy boost yet.

I've already joined the "93 club" so there shouldn't be any 87 left in the tank by the time my toys arrive.
Sponsored