papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
I really didn't think that radar detectors, widely used in US, will work even in Europe. But in another thread user @frindgr talks about it and said it works perfectly :eyebulge: so now it could be useful to have a thread about them

Do you guys have experience of radar detectors in europe?
Sponsored

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm using Valentine One almost a decade!
www.valentine1.com

It works fine, it can detect every type of signal, including laser guns commonly used by patrol police-officers.

The unit has two modes: US and EU. So you simply select EU and it is ready to work.

Also, there is a mounting base especially designed for V1 mounted from the center mirror and powered with pins from a socket behind the mirror.

There are others reliable brands names in market which are invisible to naked eye (split). The detectors permanently installs at the front bumper and there is a hidden unit inside the cabin. But we are talking of thousands of $.....

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WARNING: at many EU countries radars are illegal (huge fine, driving license removal etc). Take extremely care when using it.

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From my long experience, the only downside with V1 (I don't know if the same happens to other radars) is that there are false warnings when you pass from the stores with automated doors i.e autogrill at highways! The doors detectors emit a signal at K-band so confuse the radar.
http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/AnsweredAlready8.asp

But when it detects Laser Radar it is 100% REAL. You only hope that the laser beam detects the front car and not you. ;)

Last edited:

AmerikanishesPferd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saab 95 1.9T Hisch
WARNING: at many EU countries radars are illegal (huge fine, driving license removal etc). Take extremely care when using it.
This is true. Even apps like Waze that allow users to post positions of Blitz cameras are considered illegal here and if you're caught there is a big penalty associated.

That being said, no police officer has any reason to go on my private property and view my phone so it's sort of safe I guess? The radio stations here in Germany typically have listeners call-in and report where they see mobile speed traps.

Sponsored

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Thanks for the info! I don't know it they are illegal here in Italy, I have to check it out.

How could it detect the fixed speed cameras, i,e, the one in boxes at the side of the road? Are they emitting some type of signal?

Ferdelance

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gianluca
Vehicle(s)
Peugeot
Thanks for the info! I don't know it they are illegal here in Italy, I have to check it out.

How could it detect the fixed speed cameras, i,e, the one in boxes at the side of the road? Are they emitting some type of signal?
I believe it's illegal in Italy. I have seen a lot of people using them in Romania and a friend of mine told me that it works fine.

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. The fixed cameras emit a signal CONTINOUSLY. When we pass under the camera, we "cut" the beam which triger the camera to take a snapshot.

The V1 also notify you with the quantity of cameras! i.e. usually there is one camera per lane. If the highway has 3 lanes the screen of V1 will show number 3.

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take a look at this example. You see three cameras (one for each lane) and three flashes.

http://www.mrbike.gr/website/latest-news/22.html

In that case the V1 will show number 3 and an arrow which show the direction. If you are getting close the front arrow will lit, when you pass the cameras the back arrow will lit. In other words V1 has detectors both sides. That's why it is recommended to install it at the middle of the windscreen in order to pass the signal between front seats.

UNtamed67

Silver Shadow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple...
Vehicle Showcase
I have a new Coyote (legal) on order...
€139 and yearly subscription of about € 145.

It's based on a community of users helping each other by reporting radars. If you are of course the first near the radar you'll hit the jackpot!

First I was looking for an iPhone app (waze, wikango, coyote) which could connect via BT audio (while listening to podcasts eg). Unfortuneatly so far I didn't find any, meaning we have to rely on the phone's speaker...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
I have a new Coyote (legal) on order...
€139 and yearly subscription of about € 145.

It's based on a community of users helping each other by reporting radars. If you are of course the first near the radar you'll hit the jackpot!

First I was looking for an iPhone app (waze, wikango, coyote) which could connect via BT audio (while listening to podcasts eg). Unfortuneatly so far I didn't find any meaning we have to rely on the phone's speaker...
I looked into it this week and I'm not a fan, just would like to get my warning & distance back like on my TomTom...

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
They are highly illegal in Germany, that being said someone I may know :lol: has had one for years.

They do work but there are lots of false signals! As Audi and BMW build bigger luxo barges like X5s and Q7 for people that don't know how to drive, they all are constantly putting out X and Ka band from the back and sides and the detector goes nuts approaching them. The older fixed cameras use sensors on the roads so don't put out any signals.
Those new pillars do constantly put out laser and the detector has saved 'my friend' a few times. but you have less than a second from the warning usually.
What it does help with alot is those undercover cars they have patrolling the roads. They will tailgate you and try to get you to speed. Whenever a BMW or Merc with two people comes up on 'my friend' and the radar detector starts going off, 'he' moves over and slows down, if they try to stay behind you they are cops. that saved 'my friend' twice as I saw the uniforms once they realized 'he' wasn't taking the bait and finally passed staring us down.
My gps does warn me about stationary cameras but it doesn't help with all the mobile ones they employ. That too is illegal but they no one checks GPS systems to see if it's enabled

axx91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
In Poland we use Yanosik Device which is legal one.
You can watch here:
[ame]
It is perfect because is legal

Inside device is SIM CARD it is like COMMUNICATOR.

When you see police or radar or car accident you press appropriate button with picture.
Somebody who has the same device will get an info 1500m before radar, accident or police.
There is Voice information and also information on display.
You can also accept by clicking V or deny by clicking X(for example if they drove away)
About unmarked police cars it says '' warning, unmarked SKODA is in the area''
It is great invention

At the moment there are above 100k users in Poland.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
In Poland we use Yanosik Device which is legal one.
You can watch here:

It is perfect because is legal

Inside device is SIM CARD it is like COMMUNICATOR.

When you see police or radar or car accident you press appropriate button with picture.
Somebody who has the same device will get an info 1500m before radar, accident or police.
There is Voice information and also information on display.
You can also accept by clicking V or deny by clicking X(for example if they drove away)
About unmarked police cars it says '' warning, unmarked SKODA is in the area''
It is great invention

At the moment there are above 100k users in Poland.
Wow, that's exactly what the WAZE app is here in the US, except it's just software in our mobile

axx91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
In poland also on mobile but better is on Device because it does not lag, on phone you have sometimes no signal so no internet connection and app crashes
Sponsored