R 350 gt Donson

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I certainly agree with your comment with respect to the Voodoo engine being the biggest reason for the extended run of ADM's on the R model cars.

Having said that I would suggest that there are other factors as well that have lured other brand enthusiasts over to the R model such as being a 2 seat car, carbon fiber wheels, CF rear spoiler, larger and stickier tires, resonator delete, etc. and of course all of the outstanding automotive awards has really helped create an automotive aura for this car not seen for quite some time.

Over 50 years ago I remember very well when the '65 GT350 was launched specifically to take on the Corvettte, Jags and Porsche's in SCCA Racing and we all know how that all went.

Ford built ~14,000 Shelby's over 6 MY's back in the 60's with the 2 seat '65 being the most coveted of all Shelby's with the R models being sold for outrageous money.

My point being is that these new 2 seat R models will be coveted for many years to come as well based on the Voodoo engine and many other factors that have been mentioned.

Growing up and being a young automotive enthusiast way back in the 60's it was my perception that anyone who was serious about road racing, auto crossing etc. went with a GT350 with most of the GT500 crowd back then more focused on either straight line performance and cruising.

It will be interesting to see how the new GT500 is received by the general public. As we all know then Ford launched the GT500 back in 2007 as a "Limited Edition" model with FR producing almost 11,000 cars which certainly is not limited edition number in my books.

If that is the case for the new GT500 I would suggest that ADM's may not be very prevalent subject to the first few hundred cars being sold.

:cheers:
Yes Sir 200% agree. I love hearing about the history Harry, thank you.

Look what the competition has out currently. What will fords response be this day in history? Will it even be? If I were running the show over at Ford, the GT500 would not be second, or third. It needs to show the latest and greatest ford has to offer. I'm hoping it does.
Sponsored

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Best thread ever not to have a damn thing to do with the title. I'm glad I read it!

Agree with the sentiments that the 350 stands alone in automotive history, and while its owners are still basking in the glory of its halo for more than two years now, we all know it will be surpassed by the next big thing, whatever that may be. But this car will be legendary in the future, and I'm happy to be one of the privileged that owns one.

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
If you read the whole thread, you will know he had a 16TY R with a roll cage. Nobody is doubting it. However he sold it to pursue a GT3RS and vanished. Maybe nobody cares, but I followed his threads and wound up with an R just like his old one.

[Shameless photo]
picture.jpg

[/Shameless photo]

Oh, and another curiosity, what is your name, I hate calling you MCarsFan. It's not fitting anymore.
I was curious as well what happened and how the GT3 RS turned out...

Really love the Yellow R by the way. I had a Gen 2 Viper in yellow w/ black stripes so I have a soft spot for that color scheme.

I got my other account unsuspended however after careful consideration and discussing with other members (people who dont hate me do exist you know), we collectively decided not to retain that username simply because It doesnt reflect who i am. I m not an M cars fan anymore (if you told me this a year ago, I would laugh) and the last M car I have is going bye bye very soon (couple of months). So I’ll just stick with this username, I like it, its software engineering specific and fits with my computer science background. Name is Matt by the way, pleased to meet you:)
I thought you sold your car OR got banned from the site... you did have some hostile followers.

:headbonk::headbonk::headbonk:

:first:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Yes Sir 200% agree. I love hearing about the history Harry, thank you.

Look what the competition has out currently. What will fords response be this day in history? Will it even be? If I were running the show over at Ford, the GT500 would not be second, or third. It needs to show the latest and greatest ford has to offer. I'm hoping it does.
Jimmy, I don't know anymore than you but I do know how passionate all of the key personnel in Dearborn are about Ford Performance which includes all of their outstanding Mustang heritage so with that being said I would suggest that after a 5 year absence the new GT500 will be an outstanding automobile.

We saw how Ford raised the bar in 2007 with the GT500 and then in 2012 with the Boss 302 and of course in 2015 with the GT350/R.

It will be very interesting to see when Ford unveils their new GT500 and we can only hope that the unveiling comes at the Detroit Auto Show this coming January.

;)
Sponsored