Quiet 5.0

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
On a side note that center section looks massive :)
Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
See this is why I get pissed, so much different info. Then the question becomes is that just a car for the auction they built or how it will come off the line. I guess I will just wait to crawl under mine.

We should make a thread just called "Ooooooooohhhhhhhh" just for all the things we finally discover when hands on lol

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
A chambered muffler on a turbo car is the worst possible choice you an make. A straight thru muffler is a much better choice. I bet the ecoboost responds well with a tune, more boost, and some catbacks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

KGrGunMan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Tune is basically the only 'low hanging fruit' you are going to find. Headers/cat deletes will release the most power for the N/A applications, followed by an aggressive intake manifold like the Boss or CJ. Both of those avenues have their issues though. Cat deletes and headers cause issues passing emissions, O2 sensor issues, and tuning issues. Aggressive intake manifolds shift the powerband into the upper RPM's at the expense of low end torque.
I'm planning on keeping this car in my hands and in california for the next 10 years, so headers and cat delete are out. I'm use to and enjoy racing small underpowered 4cyls with all their power at the top end, so I don't think I'd have any problem moving the V8's power band up higher as long as I could either pass CA smog or swap back to legal without much hassle.

If worst comes to worst, are any of the superchargers for the S197 C.A.R.B. approved? (I know that means higher price for less performance)

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm planning on keeping this car in my hands and in california for the next 10 years, so headers and cat delete are out. I'm use to and enjoy racing small underpowered 4cyls with all their power at the top end, so I don't think I'd have any problem moving the V8's power band up higher as long as I could either pass CA smog or swap back to legal without much hassle.

If worst comes to worst, are any of the superchargers for the S197 C.A.R.B. approved? (I know that means higher price for less performance)

I don't know much about CA-approved blowers, but if FRPP does for the 2015 what they did for 2011+ I think it will be an option at some point. May be a year or more down the road. I'm betting a tune alone would be worth quite a bit on this new Coyote judging from the hardware upgrades.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Best sounding mufflers for the coyote are Borla S types...hands down as someone said. Corsa isn't shabby either.

Don's Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500. 2018 C63S
Best sounding mufflers for the coyote are Borla S types...hands down as someone said. Corsa isn't shabby either.

I sorta agree
I have the Borla touring on my 2011, and while the Borla S is awesome, I like the more mellow sound of the Borla Touring

Give it a few months for a bunch of systems to be released, and pick the one you like best. The Borla touring has no resonators, but still fairly quiet

on my Focus ST the magnaflow car back helped the turbo spool up a little quicker, maybe on the EB Mustang a cat back might do the same

Aipaloovik

Threads
Reaction score

To my knowledge the FRPP (Whipple), Roush, Kenne Bell and Vortech were all CARB legal on the S197. I had a Vortech on my 2005 Mustang and it was CARB approved. It will take a few months to get all the certifications worked out, but I have little doubt the same companies will get certified for the new mustang as well.

Sponsored

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
I sorta agree
I have the Borla touring on my 2011, and while the Borla S is awesome, I like the more mellow sound of the Borla Touring

Give it a few months for a bunch of systems to be released, and pick the one you like best. The Borla touring has no resonators, but still fairly quiet

on my Focus ST the magnaflow car back helped the turbo spool up a little quicker, maybe on the EB Mustang a cat back might do the same
I had a magnaflow comp catback on my 13 GT and it droned like crazy....Borla S or Corsa Sports are really good and not too loud, just my opinion though. GT 500's sound good but not lough enough for me.

OP
OP

KGrGunMan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
I'm use to more niche vehicles with less aftermarket support, if there were even just 2 carb legal s/c's I'd be tickled pink.

I'm starting to lean towards some intake work and a tune with a 100% stock exhaust and if the power isn't adequate then go s/c. Really it's the weight benefit of losing the stock mufflers that make me want to do exhaust work, but if I'm doing an axle back then might as well go up to the cat.

I get the feeling though that I'll be fine NA, but I know how quickly any power level just starts to feel "normal" and not as fast as it use to.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I'm use to more niche vehicles with less aftermarket support, if there were even just 2 carb legal s/c's I'd be tickled pink.

I'm starting to lean towards some intake work and a tune with a 100% stock exhaust and if the power isn't adequate then go s/c. Really it's the weight benefit of losing the stock mufflers that make me want to do exhaust work, but if I'm doing an axle back then might as well go up to the cat.

I get the feeling though that I'll be fine NA, but I know how quickly any power level just starts to feel "normal" and not as fast as it use to.
I'm also in CA and from what I've seen headers are basically a no-go (unless you find a shop that doesn't look too closely, and of course you'd need to keep the cats). A mild cam might work, but not sure if that is a common mod for the Coyote, and certainly is not very cheap. At least once it's installed you'd pass the visual portion of the inspection, so as long as you pass tailpipe you'd likely be OK. Reverting to stock would be a PITA, that's for sure.

In the end it seems that S/C's are the most common for us here, because they don't mess with emissions much (either by changing things like overlap that a cam might affect, or moving cast around like headers), and because they are typically a somewhat large kit that adds significant power and therefore have reasonable margin that allows for the overhead of CARB certification.

-T

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I heard full borla s-type wrapped.. , it was incredible..

If I get a Mustang, I plan to wrap mine.. the sound is muted & direct..