Questioning Gen 2 voodoo reliability

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
It's simple. It's the same engine. It's not like there was a major design change, but instead, a new block was used to share production with the GT500. Other differences were accomplished, but that was mostly to share commonality with the GT350R.

The only thing that I can point at and say there is a real difference was (I believe) the pistons and rings.

The reason I say that it's the same engine, is because Ford doesn't differentiate between engines. They don't call it a gen 1 or a gen 2 engine.
So this is an argument of semantics then, not reality. If itā€™s a different block, with refreshed parts, itā€™s not the same. Same means same, not similar with slight differences. My opinion is, who cares what ford says or acknowledges - if the engine was changed, albeit subtly, itā€™s different.
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
So this is an argument of semantics then, not reality. If itā€™s a different block, with refreshed parts, itā€™s not the same. Same means same, not similar with slight differences. My opinion is, who cares what ford says or acknowledges - if the engine was changed, albeit subtly, itā€™s different.
So, gotta ask: a new, different block is a slight difference?

OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
I wonder why the pump gears werenā€™t upgraded since a lot of people here say they are prone to getting shredded to pieces.

to that, I assume theyā€™re using the same oil pump gears in the GT500? I donā€™t hear those owners crying about them.

and Iā€™m hearing MOST of the 350 failures are coming from track days or people that track them. Personally I donā€™t care what any manufacturer says I donā€™t think they make any care truly ā€œready for the trackā€. I think itā€™s more marketing than anything else. Which is exactly what they got sued over if I remember correctly.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I wonder why the pump gears werenā€™t upgraded since a lot of people here say they are prone to getting shredded to pieces.

to that, I assume theyā€™re using the same oil pump gears in the GT500? I donā€™t hear those owners crying about them.

and Iā€™m hearing MOST of the 350 failures are coming from track days or people that track them. Personally I donā€™t care what any manufacturer says I donā€™t think they make any care truly ā€œready for the trackā€. I think itā€™s more marketing than anything else. Which is exactly what they got sued over if I remember correctly.
They did upgrade the gears. But not forged

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, they did that so that it could be used in the GT500 so that the plant isn't forging two different blocks that are essentially the same except the depth of the bolts for the heads. So yea, same bore, same same.

OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
Also can someone explain to me how the GT500 is soooo much more reliable. Iā€™m seeing 100k plus miles GT350ā€™s for sale and it feels a bit overblown on how much a ticking time bomb it is if itā€™s not beat to death at a track
I understand flat plane vs cross plane and vibrations but surely if the parts are mostly the same Iā€™d think theyā€™d both be built like a tank but maybe thatā€™s my ignorance showing.

please educate me!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Also can someone explain to me how the GT500 is soooo much more reliable. Iā€™m seeing 100k plus miles GT350ā€™s for sale and it feels a bit overblown on how much a ticking time bomb it is if itā€™s not beat to death at a track
I understand flat plane vs cross plane and vibrations but surely if the parts are mostly the same Iā€™d think theyā€™d both be built like a tank but maybe thatā€™s my ignorance showing.

please educate me!
The FPC that Ford used is not like a traditional FPC. The crank pattern is UDUD instead of the traditional UDDU found in FPCā€™s made by Ferrari and the like. So, Ford had to add more counterweights to balance the crank. So, youā€™re getting more than the typical secondary vibrations that a typical FPC produce. Thatā€™s why you will hear some folks say that the Voodoo will eventually shake itself to death.

The Predator used in the GT500 is a cross plane crank, same as the Coyote and most other American muscle (save for the FPC in the C8 Vette Z06). So, the Predator doesnā€™t have the vibration issues the Voodoo does.

Thereā€™s some good threads here and good articles on the interwebs that can really get into all the nitty gritty of the Voodoo (well beyond my knowledge) but thatā€™s the gist of it.

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Weā€™re on the same page - Iā€™m simply proving a point using even the most generous of interpretations. Regardless of what Ford acknowledges or not, to me, the changes are significant enough to warrant some reasonable designation. Whether you call it Gen 2, a refresh, an update, whatever the **** you wanna call it, itā€™s different. Some changes for ease to GT500, others for durability / addressing issues. But reasoning aside, itā€™s different, and different warrants designation.

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Regarding the ticking time bomb comment, to address that from a slightly different angleā€¦ I think there are just so many variables at play here above and beyond the engine alone making it impossible to paint this car with such a broad, simple brush. Itā€™s a finely tuned, race inspired, more sensitive machine. So many variables at play - warm up / cool down routine, fuel quality, service history, etc - and I think that makes this issue even more complicated. This is not a plug and play car in a more modern senseā€¦not your every day ā€œget in and goā€ grocery getter, and it needs special attention, special treatment, to perform at its best. I think a lot of people misunderstood that early on and treated it like every other Mustang or sports carā€¦and thatā€™s not what this car needs to stay healthy. Not saying all failures were self inflictedā€¦but I think a good number of them were likely influenced by folks not fully appreciating the aboveā€¦and thatā€™s not always their fault. Ford didnā€™t educate folks on this as far as I know - no detailed manual covering everything weā€™ve come to appreciate here on the special treatment the car requiresā€¦.Iā€™d venture to guess less than half of 350 owners are on a forum like this, as plugged in as we areā€¦

I also think this car is way more sensitive to modifications than other mustangs, and that goes against the grain for this class of car. Again, not saying thatā€™s always the cause, but so many people tore into these things and upset the fine balance that Ford created, and that doesnā€™t help.

This is a truly special machine, and thereā€™s loads of evidence out there to make me comfortable with the cars reliability if treated right, cared for, left mostly stock, and well maintained. But like most things in life, special experiences have their nuancesā€¦and thatā€™s led to a lot of misunderstanding about that this vehicle really is.

Over time, I think the fog will clear and folks will know the truth about this car - a complicated beast, but an incredible one - worth it, but not plug and play. Yet another thing that makes it special to me.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
Regarding the ticking time bomb comment, to address that from a slightly different angleā€¦ I think there are just so many variables at play here above and beyond the engine alone making it impossible to paint this car with such a broad, simple brush. Itā€™s a finely tuned, race inspired, more sensitive machine. So many variables at play - warm up / cool down routine, fuel quality, service history, etc - and I think that makes this issue even more complicated. This is not a plug and play car in a more modern senseā€¦not your every day ā€œget in and goā€ grocery getter, and it needs special attention, special treatment, to perform at its best. I think a lot of people misunderstood that early on and treated it like every other Mustang or sports carā€¦and thatā€™s not what this car needs to stay healthy. Not saying all failures were self inflictedā€¦but I think a good number of them were likely influenced by folks not fully appreciating the aboveā€¦and thatā€™s not always their fault. Ford didnā€™t educate folks on this as far as I know - no detailed manual covering everything weā€™ve come to appreciate here on the special treatment the car requiresā€¦.Iā€™d venture to guess less than half of 350 owners are on a forum like this, as plugged in as we areā€¦

I also think this car is way more sensitive to modifications than other mustangs, and that goes against the grain for this class of car. Again, not saying thatā€™s always the cause, but so many people tore into these things and upset the fine balance that Ford created, and that doesnā€™t help.

This is a truly special machine, and thereā€™s loads of evidence out there to make me comfortable with the cars reliability if treated right, cared for, left mostly stock, and well maintained. But like most things in life, special experiences have their nuancesā€¦and thatā€™s led to a lot of misunderstanding about that this vehicle really is.

Over time, I think the fog will clear and folks will know the truth about this car - a complicated beast, but an incredible one - worth it, but not plug and play. Yet another thing that makes it special to me.
Iā€™d be interested in reading more about what you mean by taking care of those nuances.

but it does sound like you think itā€™s very much not a daily driver car ?

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
Iā€™d be interested in reading more about what you mean by taking care of those nuances.

but it does sound like you think itā€™s very much not a daily driver car ?
I think it depends on your definition of daily driving. For example, given its 10 quarts of oil would be a bad idea to use it for any trips, less than 10 miles round-trip, as oil would not come up to temperature.

I used to own a 2007, 911 turbo that had a dry sump oil system canister as well as five oil pumps to feed both sides of the engine and both turbos. I believe it had 10+ quarts of oil as well. it took like 15-20 minutes just to get the oil to temperature, and even though it had brought torque curve, and you could short shifted, I never use it as a daily driver for this reason. I did, however, put 75,000 + trouble free miles in 10 years. The Porsche mechanics always told me that they would see problems in cars that were driven short distances or parked along period of time.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I picked up my 2017 GT350R like two weeks ago and have been daily driving it. I have not gotten the warranty (yet), and the car is still running fine. I may not get the warranty at all, and I suspect that my car will continue to run fine. This leads me to think that the "Gen 1" does not need a warranty, and if internet myth is to trusted, then neither does the "more reliable Gen 2".

Need is different than want though, and so while the car obviously doesn't need a warranty to run, some owners may want the warranty for peace of mind. If that is you, and the GT350 is your dream car and in fact within your budget, then what is $3k-$4k for the warranty?

Or go ahead and get a Mach1, and see if you get out of the car every time thinking:
a. "At least I didn't have to buy an extended warranty!"
or
b. "I wish I got the GT350."
I love the GT350 šŸ’Æ, but at this point I wouldnā€™t trade my Mach 1 for one.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
They did upgrade the gears. But not forged
Any conventionally manufactured car raced on a track with any consistency is eventually going to break. Period. Thatā€™s just reality.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Any conventionally manufactured car raced on a track with any consistency is eventually going to break. Period. Thatā€™s just reality.
Absolutely. I doubt that many people are blowing these up when driven primarily on the street, which is what it was designed for. Not that it can't track by any means, but it introduces much faster rates of degradation and finds the weak link.

I know the valve drop thing was an issue for some, but most street driven and enjoyed gt350's have been fine from what I've seen.
Sponsored