Sponsored

Question to the guys who have painted their chrome window trim.....

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
As I mentioned in a different thread, I've acquired a set of the LE louvered quarter windows and matching chrome door window trim. I had planned to paint the chrome with trim black, however every paint shop I've asked for tips or suggestions on the best way to go about painting the chrome to black has told me the paint won't stick, it will chip, or it will peel. I know at least 2 people on here who have installed the LE quarter windows onto their car have painted the chrome trim, so my question is how has that paint held up?

My plan was to scuff the chrome with a scotch pad, spray with self-etching primer then top coat with SEM Ultra. I also considered using a 2k Hot Rod black, thinking that a 2k paint might be more durable, but I wasn't sure how close a match Hot Rod black would be to trim black.

An interesting suggestion I was told was to get the chrome wrapped, but I wasn't aware of a vinyl wrap with a satin/flat finish like the OEM black trim. If such a thing exists, is it even possible to wrap the chrome trim around quarter windows? Seems like it would be very difficult/tedious to get the wrap to cover the lip around the edge of the trim so none of the chrome shows.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
What about having them anodized in black? @WD Pro would be a good source of information on what may or may not work, as he’s had several pieces coated for his car.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
Just vinyl wrap them. Did that years ago on my Lexus RCF, came out great, and you don’t ruin the chrome if you ever want to have it show, or resell the trim……

AE972CF9-F346-44B1-BDE5-AED7D5B2EB7D.jpeg

BADEACBF-FE96-4AA9-B3DD-48E21721DBC9.jpeg

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
What about having them anodized in black? @WD Pro would be a good source of information on what may or may not work, as he’s had several pieces coated for his car.
Im not sure they are aluminium or not ? But even if they are they would be a real awkward piece to do due to there size, shape and thickness.

I’m not saying it couldn’t be done, but doing a good job, first time, as a one off batch would lucky and / or expensive - certainly well above the level that I’m messing around at getting stuff done lol.

Piano black paint or powder would be my choice - putting the gloss black BMW window trim at the side of the black stang trim makes ours look like a school project … :frown:

WD :like:

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Don't ask to "paint them", ask shops what it will cost to powder coat them - or call specific powder coat shops in your area.

Powder coating is probably your best choice of coating them in a color aside from wrapping them.

OP
OP
Rick#7

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't ask to "paint them", ask shops what it will cost to powder coat them - or call specific powder coat shops in your area.

Powder coating is probably your best choice of coating them in a color aside from wrapping them.
I would be happy to powder coat them, except I'm not going to attempt to separate the chrome from the windows, and I don't think it's a good idea to subject the assemblies to the temperatures used in powder coating.

I'll be checking out some shops for wrapping this coming week. I have time to get it sorted out since the paint shop I was going to use for this whole project backed out on me, so I had to go with shop choice number 2, which can't get me in until Sept. 11. What really chaps my butt is the delay in getting my car into the paint shop because of the 1st shop changing their mind on doing my car, is the 2nd shop just had a rate increase, as well as the paint supplies cost increases, all combined are now going to cost me an extra $1000 over the price I was quoted a few months ago! I wish that guy who changed his mind would take responsibility for that extra cost.

OP
OP
Rick#7

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was a long road getting to this stage, but I got my car back from the paint shop last week with the new hood, pedestal spoiler, Shelby rockers, and LE windows installed, so I thought I would update this thread with a couple pics :cool:
Stang-new hood.jpg
Stang-quarterwindows.jpg

After the paint has a few weeks to fully cure, I'll be adding Lemans stripes and rocker stripes to finish the look.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
That looks great! I actually like the 50th polished trim and got some knock-off chrome trim for my non-50th, but you are correct. It would look weird with those windows.

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
Quick question
Can the chrome window trim be removed to be wrapped or painted ?.
want to wrap my Bullitt chrome trim black.
don’t want to remove the chrome pieces if I have to remove the rear window ?.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rick#7

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would guess no. On the LE quarter windows, the chrome trim is attached to the rubber seal that surrounds the glass, effectively making it a one piece assembly. I imagine all of the quarter windows are assembled in the same way, Bullitt included. One member here who installed the LE windows managed to cut through the rubber to remove the chrome trim, did the same to the black trim from his stock quarter windows them glued the black trim onto the LE windows. The final result looked pretty good in pics, but I have no idea how it looks in person or how well it will hold up over time.

I was able to wrap the trim on my LE windows before having them installed, however I think it's still possible to wrap the trim around the quarter windows on the car, it'll just be a bit more time consuming. The key is to make sure everything is super clean, and use a proper tucking tool to push the wrap under the trim. The trim around the door can be removed fairly easily if they end up being too difficult to wrap on the car.