Question about the Master Tech Inspection

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
How long does a usual PDI inspection last? Did the dealer do it for your car?
The reason I ask is because I came across this video and they seem to take it out for a long joy ride.
[ame]
Sponsored

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Funny you posted this. I saw this yesterday, and it annoyed me so much that I called my dealer today to reiterate not to PDI my car, or even touch it at all.

Honestly, this guy really wasn't abusing the car, but this was still a Joy ride in someone else's 60 plus thousand dollar car, and is NOT part of the normal PDI process.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
And yet another improperly loaded GT350. I wonder how their employers feel about using a presold car in order to push/promote their own youtube channel. Some companies might consider that improper use of company assets for personal gain

1LEThumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
My car had 9.3 miles when I saw it before PDI and 11.1 miles when I picked it up and they had to put gas in the car so I don't think there was much of a joy ride in it....but every dealer is going to be different too. I was lucky enough to have some decent car guys with mine.

FTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R
Another reason I'm happy to wait until the Spring. By then the wow factor will have worn off. Especially at my dealer, they will have delivered about 7-9 GT350's by then.

Sponsored

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Funny you posted this. I saw this yesterday, and it annoyed me so much that I called my dealer today to reiterate not to PDI my car, or even touch it at all.

Honestly, this guy really wasn't abusing the car, but this was still a Joy ride in someone else's 60 plus thousand dollar car, and is NOT part of the normal PDI process.
It bothered me as well. And yeah they weren't abusing it but they went waaaay farther than a PDI test should.

mcgraw

Semper Fi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I kept on the sales manager the entire time via text messages. I had a pretty good idea when it was going to show up (thanks to this thread). He let me know that the car would be in the morning of the arrival (they're pre-notified when shipments are on their way).

I told him I'd love some shots of it on the truck. When it came in, he sent a few over. I told him I'd be there in a bit!

I only had them do a basic wash to get the dirt off. Kept the plastic in place. They even asked if I wanted to go gas it up myself (followed by my sales guy w/ the gas card).

So, the truck got to the dealer around 12:00pm, I got there at about 1pm, finished everything close to 3:00pm.

(and, sigh... the car was loaded the wrong way on the truck. No issues from what I've seen).

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I kept on the sales manager the entire time via text messages. I had a pretty good idea when it was going to show up (thanks to this thread). He let me know that the car would be in the morning of the arrival (they're pre-notified when shipments are on their way).

I told him I'd love some shots of it on the truck. When it came in, he sent a few over. I told him I'd be there in a bit!

I only had them do a basic wash to get the dirt off. Kept the plastic in place. They even asked if I wanted to go gas it up myself (followed by my sales guy w/ the gas card).

So, the truck got to the dealer around 12:00pm, I got there at about 1pm, finished everything close to 3:00pm.

(and, sigh... the car was loaded the wrong way on the truck. No issues from what I've seen).
So you got the car that was in the video or am I missing something?

mcgraw

Semper Fi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So you got the car that was in the video or am I missing something?
Nope. Just outlining how I tried to avoid something like that happening (+ filling you in on how long it all took).

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Nope. Just outlining how I tried to avoid something like that happening (+ filling you in on how long it all took).
OHHHHH I got ya thanks man.

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
If you want a sample of the items that might be checked, here's a Ford service technician's commentary of what he did for a Ford Edge. The inspection items vary by model.

I'm not sure about what all happens on the sales or detail side of it, but as far as service goes.... Different techs do them differently.... some take all the plastic out, some don't. The main point of the PDI is just that, 'inspection'. Personally I always take all the plastic off the seats, put all the little rubber trays in their respective compartments, remove all the random stickers from the windows (not the actual window sticker or other informational stickers, just the random manufacturing stickers), remove any other protective coverings from the inside panels... some can be completely random, remove all the protective coverings and stickers from the outside, install radio antenna and wheel center caps or lug covers on super dutys, check and set tire pressures (except for super dutys, they're almost always way over inflated), check lug nut torque, check the functionality of pretty much every electrical item on the car... windows up/down, sunroof, all lights, horn, power seats, power mirrors, power locks, folding seats, power liftgate, heat & a/c, radio, etc.... you get the idea. Then check all fluids and top off if necessary (they're usually always a little low from the factory... nothing that will hurt anything just not "completely" full..... they save a s**t-ton of $$$ doing that). Then roadtest and make sure everything feels and sounds good, no unusual noises or vibrations, drives straight and smooth, test cruise control and any other fancy gadgets, make sure tranny shifts smooth, etc. And of course make sure there's no warning lights on the dash either. It's not super common, but does happen.... we've had transmissions that were no good right off the bat (2010 Taurus with 4 miles on it banging every gear), 3rd brake lights that didn't work cuz they bent a pin in the connector when they plugged it in, and 2 of the PDI's I've done this week, a Focus and an Explorer, the Focus had a check engine light (ended up being a calibration update to fix) and the Explorer an airbag light (the connector for the LH canopy airbag module was plugged in but not fully seated, so the resistance was way off as it was just hitting the shorting bar). Also had a new Focus a couple months ago with a locked up A/C compressor on the PDI (apparently they weren't putting enough oil in them at the factory...oops!). Also have to perform any open recalls that they might have (along with the rest of the dealer stock)

But yea that's pretty much it.... then we take it over to detail after we're done and do the state inspection. Some of these new cars (mainly the new Fusions) are absolutely filllllttthy when they arrive, literally covered in dirt/mud.... even the inside will have dirt all over. They even made a statement about it and said they've adjusted their processes to keep them from getting so dirty....I sure hope so, lol
When I asked to be included in the process for my 2015 GT, the salesperson communicated with the service department to not start the process. The salesperson and I took off the plastic wrappings and various shipment stickers (I saved everything) and the window sticker. My car then went to the service department, where it was taken out of transport mode, fluids checked, and given a general eyeball check. I asked that the front license plate bracket NOT be installed (which they are supposed to because my state requires a front plate but my request was honored). I also asked for the car NOT to be washed or the tank filled with gas as they were going to put 87 in it since a GT can run with that. There was no road test either, other than the car being moved from the lot to the service department and then to the delivery area.

My process took 40 minutes, with 25 minutes of that for taking the plastic and stickers off carefully so I could preserve them.

I took a risk not getting the car cleaned because if there was a flaw in the paint I couldn't see before taking delivery, I would not have been able to ask them to fix it. Fortunately, the paint was OK, and I felt confident checking it because the car was not too dirty when it came to the dealership.

For these cars, as you likely know, the front spoiler installation would be performed before the delivery, although it's not an inspection step per se. Better to let the dealership do that so that if it is not done corrently, it's not on your dime if something happens. The installation time for that looks to be 30-40 minutes worth of work.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
I completed my own PDI inspection per my request. I even had to take my car out of transport mode myself, with help of forum members here. :thumbsup:

I removed all the labels, plastic, and leaves that ended up on the interior. It was fun. :)

However, I did have them install the front splitter since my transport had a hydraulic lift and I was more worried about me screwing it up.

ViolentDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Silverado - '15 Ecoboost
This is the check list Ford wants us to complete for the mustang's PDI.

bretlasalle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
My master tech asked me if I wanted to go on the road test with him. We couldn't have gone more than 3 miles. He drove the car very gently, checked on the air conditioning and interior modes/lights etc. He pulled over about half way and let me drive it back to the dealership. He personally installed the splitter and was the only one to touch the car during the entire process.

BV600

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Can almost see the chassis number in the video G0475?
Sponsored