Sponsored

Q1 2019 sales

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The Camaro is lost. Who's that car trying to appeal to? What is the soul and brand of that car? Is it a muscle car? Is it a sports car? Is something else?
It looks like from what GM has been teasing everyone with the camaro is about to become a high priced rich mans EV play toy.
Sponsored

kirbster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The Camaro is lost. Who's that car trying to appeal to? What is the soul and brand of that car? Is it a muscle car? Is it a sports car? Is something else? I wish GM realized that you can't beat performance numbers into the average consumer and expect them to make a purchase based on track figures they'll never see or experience. The Camaro will continue to languish on GM dealer lots with their sophisticated alpha platform, great torque-y engine, and absolutely soulless presence for years to come.

The thing looking like it's gearing up for the next Transformers movie doesn't help either...
I think Bob Lutz said it best here.

"The minute I saw the new Mustang and the new Camaro, I knew Ford had won this round. The Mustang is a design masterpiece: sleek, semi-European, yet still a Mustang. Independent rear suspension or not, it is a winner. The Camaro, an even better car, sinks into quasi-irrelevance. You can’t tell it from the previous one. “The same as before, only smaller” has never been a winning formula in a fashion-conscious segment. The current Camaro, although fabulous, missed the mark."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...on-why-the-new-ford-mustang-beats-the-camaro/

Its like the early 2000s all over again. Design and making a car not as easy to live with is the cause for its demise.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
As a person about to buy a lightly used 2018, upgrading from my S197 GT, the new Gen is quite the performer and looker. Also, the Camaro6 forums are imploding over there, lol.

Ford has done something Chevy has not, and that's retained the Mustang's identity throughout the generations and upgrades. We know what a Mustang is, we know what a Mustang stands for, and so does general society. They know what a Shelby is and they know what it means when they see a Cobra badge on a Mustang. Hell, a good number of them know what a Bullitt is now based on the ad cycle Ford went on a few years ago.

The Challenger is obviously the retro drag car. No doubt about what that car is trying to be or who it's trying to appeal to. The Hellcat and Demon were absolute beacons for sales for all models of Challenger. A true halo car if I've ever seen one.

The Camaro is lost. Who's that car trying to appeal to? What is the soul and brand of that car? Is it a muscle car? Is it a sports car? Is something else? I wish GM realized that you can't beat performance numbers into the average consumer and expect them to make a purchase based on track figures they'll never see or experience. The Camaro will continue to languish on GM dealer lots with their sophisticated alpha platform, great torque-y engine, and absolutely soulless presence for years to come.

The thing looking like it's gearing up for the next Transformers movie doesn't help either...

I like the Camaro and considered one but got a way better deal on the Mustang. Glad I did, I still like the overall looks of the Mustang I just was leaning towards the camaro since I know many people that tune the LSx and LT engines around here. Plus it is a very good chassis.

GM really screwed themselves with the 2019 refresh that and it's been down hill since then..
The 1LE and ZL1 are still bad mofo's though.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Out of shits n giggles I went over to Camaro forum to see if they still complain and make excuses for quarterly sales figures, was not disappointed. 6 years and they still can not stomach the fact that the 6th gen Mustang and Dodge is just a more appealing and overall just a better car than the failed redesign Gen 6th Camaro.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Also that the Mustang is sold in many more countries and in right hand drive, we only get the Mustang in the UK for example.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Also that the Mustang is sold in many more countries and in right hand drive, we only get the Mustang in the UK for example.
From what I remember. These sales figures only include US sales.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
when i bought this mustang (end of feb this year), my choices were either ss1/2 or gt premium w/401a..

once i sat in the camaro, i knew it wasnt going to work..

while the chopped roof effect is nice and mean looking, the fact that the top of the door comes up to my shoulder (and i am 6'7") is silly. with the seat all the way down and back, i had about 1" before my head hit the roof. i could feel the static electricity from the headliner on my hair, forget about sunglasses on the top of my head. the mirrors in the mustang are kinda small(ish), but oh man, the camaro mirrors felt tiny, the qtr window is a bit of a blind spot issue on the mustang.. but its worse on the camaro AND i had huge A pillar sight issues as well. when i grabbed the gear shift knob, it didnt feel right, it felt cheap and like most other plastic bezels and panels on the interior creaked and cracked when i touched them.

and we wont even get into options.. sure i dont have a HUD from the factory, but IMO the options on the mustang are far greater than a comparable camaro.

then we come to the exterior.. now i like the look of the camaro, but when i looked at a ~$50k mustang vs a ~$50k camaro. the styling just fell a bit short for me on the camaro.. it felt like i was buying a base model car when in fact it wasnt.

i tried hard to like the camaro, but i just couldnt do it, i really felt like the mustang was a better buy.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I like the Camaro and considered one but got a way better deal on the Mustang. Glad I did, I still like the overall looks of the Mustang I just was leaning towards the camaro since I know many people that tune the LSx and LT engines around here. Plus it is a very good chassis.

GM really screwed themselves with the 2019 refresh that and it's been down hill since then..
The 1LE and ZL1 are still bad mofo's though.
Well GM screwed themselves when they began chasing the Germans in a half-hearted attempt to seem relevant. It's great for marketing purposes, but not great for brand recognition or brand loyalty. Sure GM still has stalwarts like the Escalade, Sierra, and Silverado, but much of the rest of their lineup is a global of "meh". Now Ford isn't much better for a good portion of the lineup, but the F-Series is stronger than ever, the Mustang is stronger than ever, and Lincoln has re-found themselves and are doing much better than they were a decade ago.

While the Alpha chassis is incredible, it doesn't sell cars to average people who are doing 30 mph test drives in their dealer lots. Also, the fact that they cancelled the 4.2L Blackwing is a huge LOL in my book. I guess we'll keep seeing that 6.2L in everthing from Camaros to the Escalade. Viva la small block, I guess.

Just my $0.02.

Sponsored

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Well GM screwed themselves when they began chasing the Germans in a half-hearted attempt to seem relevant. It's great for marketing purposes, but not great for brand recognition or brand loyalty. Sure GM still has stalwarts like the Escalade, Sierra, and Silverado, but much of the rest of their lineup is a global of "meh". Now Ford isn't much better for a good portion of the lineup, but the F-Series is stronger than ever, the Mustang is stronger than ever, and Lincoln has re-found themselves and are doing much better than they were a decade ago.

While the Alpha chassis is incredible, it doesn't sell cars to average people who are doing 30 mph test drives in their dealer lots. Also, the fact that they cancelled the 4.2L Blackwing is a huge LOL in my book. I guess we'll keep seeing that 6.2L in everthing from Camaros to the Escalade. Viva la small block, I guess.

Just my $0.02.
Yeah, GM has a whole is pretty much crap. Except for the C8 and I will always love a Caddy but it's still loaded with GM crap.

I'm not brand loyal. I used to be and that was with GM, but I've opened my mind to realize all manufacturers have goods and bads. But as this point other than a C8, Z or V. I will not ever get a GM.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The Camaro will continue to languish on GM dealer lots
I guess the carrying cost to the dealer of a left-over Camaro is so small they just won't do the same deal I got Ford dealerships to do on the Mustangs without a whole lot of arm twisting.
Sponsored