Sponsored

Put a deposit on a new car- you guys going to laugh.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the factory subwoofer, $595 dollars. It’s a MONSTER. It’s only 200 watts rms class d kicker amp and a 10 inch shallow sub, but man, it sounds amazing, and there’s no complications like I had to do for mustang. It was plug and play, took me max 2 hours of pulling panels and just running the cord from radio to rear.

while I had it apart I put dynamat extreme on the floor and wheel wells and trunk area that I had extra from mustang, also sounds funny but I read people use memory foam in audio systems and to reduce noise, I bought a pack of 2 shredded memory foam pillows from Sam’s club for 10 bucks and tucked one in each wheel well and confirmed perfectly.

I can’t confirm if dynamat or pillow helped, but it definitely cut down some road noise. The tires are extremely loud, will switch to less noisy tires in future. As for the sub, it sounds phenomenal, and was plug/play and no install issues unlike hopping thru hoops on mustang.

I paid 150 for the gr short shifter, and paid 179 for install at dealer (did this due to power train warranty) so now it’s factory warranties and the warranty is fully Intact as its approved Toyota accessory.- it only reduced throw about 10% but those shifts are more precise and feel just even better. Though the stock shifter is already good.

I’m at 650 miles, mileage is not great as I keep fluctuating rpm constantly even on highway as per instructions to break in. I have zero complaints about the power, it feels a lot faster than it should due to its very short gearing.

fun nimble little car and the sound system is killer once you check in the right settings + sub. I could be wrong but I feel like now all the bass is filtered to the subwoofer through the loom taking bass out of the other speakers- could be wrong.- also tossed in a self dimming mirror+ home link/garage door opener for 150. Took 10 mins to swap out.

I can’t believe how this sub sounds though, like it should not sound as good as it does. It sounds equally clean as my full JL audio full size 10” with 500watts rms- if it ever blew Im going to toss in a JL shallow mount sub in its place, I bet it would sound awesome too.

what’s neat about the sub. Is its 2 finger screwed knobs mounting it to car, and 2 quick connects, I can remove sub in literally 30 seconds if I want full trunk space

IMG_9242.jpeg

IMG_9214.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats! I didn’t read all 4 pages but the GR86 is a fun little car. My brother in law has one, bought it brand new from a dealer in Ohio and had it shipped here early 2023. He bought a Borla exhaust for it. It sounds kinda farty but it’s not super obnoxious like some of the 4 bangers out there.

There’s a couple of the blue ones around here also, it’s very close to Grabber Blue. Pic is my brother in laws GR, my dad’s GT and my GT.

IMG_1870.jpeg
I actually really like the stock exhaust. It’s quiet and I like that, I hear the engine noise a lot, it’s a loud engine actually, prefer that over the fake exhaust noise thing I disabled.
I like that red.

i did order exhaust extenders, it’s like a 2 inch extension that pushes exhaust a little forward, itl look like this. Instead of sunken in. $20 bucks for the kit

One thing I learned is car has adaptive cruise, even though it’s manual. You just push in clutch and shift gears, it just cuts fuel and reactivates once gears in. It’s actually quite convenient car will show down and speed up with traffic you’re just responsible to ensure you don’t lug engine down too much
IMG_9174.jpeg

IMG_9289.png

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Also, if anyone wants wireless CarPlay. Carlinkit 4.0 from eliexpfess is 30 bucks and legit is amazing. 8 seconds of turning car on, my iPhone fully connected and it’s just as fast and feels even faster than corded.

flawless, I recommend for anyone who does a lot of short trips too. And plugging in and unplugging impacts nothing other than phones charging instead of not

Just went to the gym, car looks a lot darker than 45% but it is.

IMG_9293.jpeg

IMG_9292.jpeg

IMG_9294.jpeg

IMG_9295.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
As for the power of like 228-250 I like it. I owned a v8 78 camaro as first car and had 4 cylinders ever since, so I didn’t spoil myself with a 400-450hp v8 mustang lol. So to me this feels comparable to my ecoboost in fun/pull while being smaller.

if I came from your guys large hp cars I wonder if I would be let down, but to me it doesn’t feel like a slow car, or fast. Just quick enough for daily driving and the shifting is great, toss that and music and I’m a happy camper

I will say I’ve had a blast on windy small bendy/twisty streets I’ve found driving around breaking it in, it’s legit a little go cart in twisties.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
As for the power of like 228-250 I like it. I owned a v8 78 camaro as first car and had 4 cylinders ever since, so I didn’t spoil myself with a 400-450hp v8 mustang lol. So to me this feels comparable to my ecoboost in fun/pull while being smaller.

if I came from your guys large hp cars I wonder if I would be let down, but to me it doesn’t feel like a slow car, or fast. Just quick enough for daily driving and the shifting is great, toss that and music and I’m a happy camper

I will say I’ve had a blast on windy small bendy/twisty streets I’ve found driving around breaking it in, it’s legit a little go cart in twisties.
It's not a big power straight line/big road course kind of car. Great for lower speed street driving in my opinion. And to me the gearing is well-matched to the engine. Most Mustangs I feel like the gearing is poor and doesn't give enough wheel torque at low speeds. The engine doesn't get into the power band in many Mustangs until 20-40 mph. 6th gear in many Mustangs is no good for any street legal speed. All of the Mustang's gears should be adjusted to better ratios. I think the current ratios are "fuel economy" ratios, which don't belong on a Mustang.

When I first bought the GR86, I had trouble letting go of the power/weight ratio not being as good as I'm used to from V8 cars. I was getting tires replaced and hearing the engine from the outside it really reminded my of the first car I drove regularly - an old VW beetle. The exhaust doesn't sound like a beetle, but the engine noises do. I remember the beetle fondly and I think the GR86 is somewhat of a similar vehicle. Relatively cheap to buy, light weight and practical for a fun little car. It's not built to be a hard core performer like a Porsche could be or some Mustangs. I think I appreciated the GR86 a lot more once I adjusted my thinking in that way.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Nice. You‘ve gone and completely ruined the car. Added all that weight and now the balance, speed, braking are completely out of wack. :crackup:

In seriousness it’s amazing how some fairly minor tweaks can really expotentially boost the enjoyment of a car. Especially for a daily where commuting and just running around is concerned. Stereo was always my first real upgrade, always considered tint as necessities. Lol.

I installed the factory subwoofer, $595 dollars. It’s a MONSTER. It’s only 200 watts rms class d kicker amp and a 10 inch shallow sub, but man, it sounds amazing, and there’s no complications like I had to do for mustang. It was plug and play, took me max 2 hours of pulling panels and just running the cord from radio to rear.

while I had it apart I put dynamat extreme on the floor and wheel wells and trunk area that I had extra from mustang, also sounds funny but I read people use memory foam in audio systems and to reduce noise, I bought a pack of 2 shredded memory foam pillows from Sam’s club for 10 bucks and tucked one in each wheel well and confirmed perfectly.

I can’t confirm if dynamat or pillow helped, but it definitely cut down some road noise. The tires are extremely loud, will switch to less noisy tires in future. As for the sub, it sounds phenomenal, and was plug/play and no install issues unlike hopping thru hoops on mustang.

I paid 150 for the gr short shifter, and paid 179 for install at dealer (did this due to power train warranty) so now it’s factory warranties and the warranty is fully Intact as its approved Toyota accessory.- it only reduced throw about 10% but those shifts are more precise and feel just even better. Though the stock shifter is already good.

I’m at 650 miles, mileage is not great as I keep fluctuating rpm constantly even on highway as per instructions to break in. I have zero complaints about the power, it feels a lot faster than it should due to its very short gearing.

fun nimble little car and the sound system is killer once you check in the right settings + sub. I could be wrong but I feel like now all the bass is filtered to the subwoofer through the loom taking bass out of the other speakers- could be wrong.- also tossed in a self dimming mirror+ home link/garage door opener for 150. Took 10 mins to swap out.

I can’t believe how this sub sounds though, like it should not sound as good as it does. It sounds equally clean as my full JL audio full size 10” with 500watts rms- if it ever blew Im going to toss in a JL shallow mount sub in its place, I bet it would sound awesome too.

what’s neat about the sub. Is its 2 finger screwed knobs mounting it to car, and 2 quick connects, I can remove sub in literally 30 seconds if I want full trunk space

IMG_9242.jpeg

IMG_9214.jpeg

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Nice. You‘ve gone and completely ruined the car. Added all that weight and now the balance, speed, braking are completely out of wack. :crackup:

In seriousness it’s amazing how some fairly minor tweaks can really expotentially boost the enjoyment of a car. Especially for a daily where commuting and just running around is concerned. Stereo was always my first real upgrade, always considered tint as necessities. Lol.
I hate paying for it, but tint and PPF I do day 1 on every car I own. My Scion tc I got brand new day 1 in June 2012. It’s a 13 model but came early, it has like 205-210k miles and the clear film and front end look brand new, no yellowing or anything and it’s old school PPF. I didn’t take care of it, left for years with debris just baking on it and always just washed right off and clear.

so after that, I always PPF the impact areas on cars, it’s just it’s 2k now instead of 800 that it was in 2012. Granted I did full bumper half hood and partial fender + mirror now I did full bumper, full hood, full fenders, mirror, a pillar and roof line, and rear impact area and headlights.

The film is also way better now a days.
ceramic tint is a game changer, it literally makes it so im not baking in any direct sunlight.

A lot say PPF is a waste bc you can repaint it for same price later, well I’d rather it just look nice the entire time lol.- I also don’t tailgate, my gf and everyone I know are like 2 feet off people. They are so impatient, and I don’t get it.

you’d get there same time 2 feet off the front car of 40 feet. Literally no difference other than you’re car is getting beat up by debris and you will potentially rear end them if panic brake.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Competely agree. I’m old p & b guy. Can paint anything. That said all my stuff gets ppf and ceramic tint. Luckily for me a good friend does that for a living so it costs me material plus a little for labor. Very grateful for that. He uses xpel. You seem to be like me, I keep my stuff in as close to new condition as I can. None of this is inexpensive, so taking care of it only makes sense to me.

I hate paying for it, but tint and PPF I do day 1 on every car I own. My Scion tc I got brand new day 1 in June 2012. It’s a 13 model but came early, it has like 205-210k miles and the clear film and front end look brand new, no yellowing or anything and it’s old school PPF. I didn’t take care of it, left for years with debris just baking on it and always just washed right off and clear.

so after that, I always PPF the impact areas on cars, it’s just it’s 2k now instead of 800 that it was in 2012. Granted I did full bumper half hood and partial fender + mirror now I did full bumper, full hood, full fenders, mirror, a pillar and roof line, and rear impact area and headlights.

The film is also way better now a days.
ceramic tint is a game changer, it literally makes it so im not baking in any direct sunlight.

A lot say PPF is a waste bc you can repaint it for same price later, well I’d rather it just look nice the entire time lol.- I also don’t tailgate, my gf and everyone I know are like 2 feet off people. They are so impatient, and I don’t get it.

you’d get there same time 2 feet off the front car of 40 feet. Literally no difference other than you’re car is getting beat up by debris and you will potentially rear end them if panic brake.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I re did my garage and I found an old plushie angry bird I had for like 14 years, I turned it into a parking ball. Also added 20 buck exhaust extenders looks way better in my opinion.
IMG_9327.jpeg

IMG_9344.jpeg

IMG_9345.jpeg

IMG_9347.jpeg

IMG_9349.jpeg

IMG_9346.jpeg

IMG_9378.jpeg

IMG_9357.jpeg

IMG_9360.jpeg

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I re did my garage and I found an old plushie angry bird I had for like 14 years, I turned it into a parking ball. Also added 20 buck exhaust extenders looks way better in my opinion.
IMG_9327.jpeg

IMG_9344.jpeg

IMG_9345.jpeg

IMG_9347.jpeg

IMG_9349.jpeg

IMG_9346.jpeg

IMG_9378.jpeg

IMG_9357.jpeg

IMG_9360.jpeg
I have my 24 year old Audi TT which I have owned since new. It is 1.8ltr turbo that I have tweaked over the years and still use as a daily when the weather is poor as I don’t generally drive the Mustang in the rain. It’s is a spunky, zippy little run about, exactly like what you just purchased as it makes perfect sense in and around town. And to my eyes, like your new toy, the styling just doesn’t get old.

IMG_1867.jpeg
Sponsored