RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
To all of the people that went into complex rants and put themselves through their own self-generated frustration: called it.

Now you have something to work with. And just as I said in that same weight rumor thread, that whole ordeal is going to be a flash in the pan.
Sponsored

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ecoboost
Cool, still bummed about the slight gain, maybe next Gen. As for power, I'm hoping for 440hp especially if the PP is going to beat a Boss. Hopefully they won't do what they did in 2011 and give the GT customers the bird and come out with a new engine after year 1.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
To all of the people that went into complex rants and put themselves through their own self-generated frustration: called it.

Now you have something to work with. And just as I said in that same weight rumor thread, that whole ordeal is going to be a flash in the pan.
Although tolerable for me, it STILL gained weight at a time when weight loss can be a key to making fuel economy ratings. Weight creep adds up over time. If Alpha Camaro SS comes in under these weights with 450+ HP its bragging rights to Chevy/GM.

And from one of my posts several days ago…

Actually my worst case scenario is 200 plus pound weight gain, 5 HP bump. Anything better than that I can tolerate, anything worse I may have to look elsewhere.
It is thankfully far off my worst case scenario weight gain and if it picks up 5 HP it should match HP/pound ratio of the 2014. So it is "tolerable" to me weight-wise.

eurospeed

Threads
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be holding off on a Mustang if these numbers are correct. There is no excuse for a weight increase with today's improved materials and techniques to reduce mass/increase stiffness.

This is a sign of auto manufacturers (US particularly with the trifecta of bloat) becoming lazy and cutting corners. The other part of the problem is general lack of understanding or caring for that matter of the importance and benefits of weight reduction.

Very disappointed if indeed true...

franklin9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP

silver and white.jpg
49-FE6-FlashFiction.jpg

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Although tolerable for me, it STILL gained weight at a time when weight loss can be a key to making fuel economy ratings. Weight creep adds up over time. If Alpha Camaro SS comes in under these weights with 450+ HP its bragging rights to Chevy/GM.
That's a good point, and it's quite possible, but the overall curb weight is only one piece of the puzzle. Chassis stiffness, weight distribution, CoG, suspension tuning, well basically the whole driving experience, will be the determining factor. If the Alpha-based Camaro comes within 100-200lbs within the S550 I don't think it will be anything more than a bragging right once you look at the whole picture.

I can't wait to find out though. :)

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
People have the attention span of flies nowadays, myself included. Unless someone got personally bent out of shape due to the delay, I'd be surprised. We'll continue to eat up the latest bites of news and move on.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Looks like I'll be holding off on a Mustang if these numbers are correct. There is no excuse for a weight increase with today's improved materials and techniques to reduce mass/increase stiffness.

This is a sign of auto manufacturers (US particularly with the trifecta of bloat) becoming lazy and cutting corners. The other part of the problem is general lack of understanding or caring for that matter of the importance and benefits of weight reduction.

Agree with you on the weight reduction 100%. This indeed looks to be from Ford. (Unless a good forgery.) It is tolerable for me. Notice I said tolerable, not preferred. ;)

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

You must not be a BMW, Mercedes, Acura, Cadillac, and even Porsche fan. Almost all manufactures cars weight a lot more then they did just 3-5 years ago. Each gen of the performance series of BMW's have gotten fatter. However, they still outperform the old slimmer versions by wide margins. All the safety and technology adds up even when you use light weight materials and cutting edge tech that Ford and others are using...nice try.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
That's a good point, and it's quite possible, but the overall curb weight is only one piece of the puzzle. Chassis stiffness, weight distribution, CoG, suspension tuning, well basically the whole driving experience, will be the determining factor. If the Alpha-based Camaro comes within 100-200lbs within the S550 I don't think it will be anything more than a bragging right once you look at the whole picture.

I can't wait to find out though. :)
Oh I agree with you on those aspects as well. Now just imagine all that AND a slight weight loss. We'd be talking a world-beater for sure. :)

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Seriously? Unless the dimensions were to be drastically shorter, I'd be happy if the S550 stays within the same weight range. Crash standards are constantly evolving and it costs a hell of a lot of money for OEMs to use high strenght, low weight material in volume.

New2Ford

Threads
Reaction score
With the aluminum fenders and hood, along with the IRS. It seems like most of the weight gain will be over the rear wheels. I'm ok with a small weight gain if it's in the right places. I hope the PP wheels and brakes aren't too heavy though.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I agree with you on those aspects as well. Now just imagine all that AND a slight weight loss. We'd be talking a world-beater for sure. :)
The waiting game is almost over. :cheers:

I just keep thinking to myself, "patience, man... patience."

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
You must not be a BMW, Mercedes, Acura, Cadillac, and even Porsche fan. Almost all manufactures cars weight a lot more then they did just 3-5 years ago. Each gen of the performance series of BMW's have gotten fatter. However, they still outperform the old slimmer versions by wide margins. All the safety and technology adds up even when you use light weight materials and cutting edge tech that Ford and others are using...nice try.

… but someday it will come to a point of diminishing returns where weight creep is too much to be overcome by power and suspension technology.

Seeing that Ford held onto this information so long lets me know they WERE NOT HAPPY with even this small weight gain. Holding off on the HP/TQ figures makes me even more nervous. Keep our fingers crossed. ;)
Sponsored