Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
The lightest balancer is not a better balancer.
Sponsored

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
Pretty certain the Voodoo crank is lighter. Did i missunderstand your statement?
The Voodoo crank is not lighter. A flat plane cranks needs more counter balancing than a cross plane coyote crank. So true the voodoo crank is hollow to save weight but so is the coyote. However the voodoo crank has more weight by mass on the counters weights and are more in number as the voodoo needs center weights and coyote crank doesn't have any there. Look at the center of the crank the voodoo on the left and coyote on the right. Also the end weights top and bottom on the voodoo are a lot thicker whereas the coyote only slightly thicker.

See comparison:

AAEAAQAAAAAAAATGAAAAJDJhZWIzNGNiLWZmNzctNDA4Mi04MDJkLTk5NDYyYmM2OWY4MQ.jpg

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
If you take science and better engine builders than we'd ever hope to meet over the last 20yrs the cross plane out does the flat plane. NASCAR, Sprint Cup,NHRA Pro Stock, Top Fuel, Funny Car, and Comp Eliminator all tried flat plane and the results were they went back to a cross plane crank.

The exception is the one off unique world of Formula one where they can make unique parts on the spot and a million bucks is nothing. In F1 they are able to include secondary balance shafts and the extra effort or million bucks to net 2hp is worth it. They also need the fast revving that only a flat plane engine can provide. When running through the gears that many times per lap, the ability to rev through the powerband a tiny fraction of a second quicker between each shift can add up to much more substantial chunks of time throughout the course of a race. Lighter cranks and rotating assemblies transmit less torsional load through the chassis during acceleration (upshifts) and braking (downshifts), which stabilizes the load on the tires and optimizes grip.

Any gains in power are offset by highly detrimental secondary engine vibrations inherent to the flat-plane crankshaft design. When balancing a crank, primary imbalance can be corrected, but secondary imbalance can't. F1 has secondary balance shafts and we don't. Plus F1 engines only need to last a few hundred miles and are torn down and rebuild between races.

Quote" According to Ford Group Vice President of Global Product Development Raj Nair, Ford considered scrapping the flat-plane crank entirely due to the vibration issues experienced by early 5.2L prototype engines. Ford’s solution was fitting the engine with a revised crank damper and a dual-mass flywheel to quell vibrations, and stiffening up the block, accessory brackets, and exhaust system to survive the vibrations".

The bigger picture is this

1) Someone at Ford designed some badass CNC-ported cylinder heads for the new 5.2L, but no one’s talking about that.

2) Someone at Ford designed the F1-inspired roller finger follower DOHC valvetrain that makes OE pushrod motors look stupid, but no one’s talking about that.

3) Someone at Ford designed the camshaft profiles and a variable valve-timing strategy that—when combined with the phenomenal low-lift airflow of the 5.2L’s four-valve cylinder heads—enables it to produce 24-percent more torque per cubic inch than GM’s 7.0L LS7 (1.36 vs. 1.10), but no one’s talking about that.

The above 3 far outweighs the flat plane crank in making power and make up more of the voodoo's character than the crank does. The crank is making it sound good and rev quickly. In practicality the power curve stops at 7500rpm like the coyote it goes higher than that only cause its cool and does nothing more.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Exactly. The heads, cam and intake are the reasons why it makes the power and rpm it does. Not the crank.
The FP 5.2 cpc also makes great power. Although it does it with a cobra jet intake, bigger throttle body, long tube headers and 100 octane race gas and a tune. You add these same parts to the fpc 5.2 and it'll make more hp

Sponsored

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
My shop really peaked my interest with the CPC swap in the Voodoo for huge power. Would be cool to try IMO

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Ford has said on many occasions the voodoo crankshaft is lighter than the coyote and some discussion have said by over ten pounds. There have also been countless post discussing this and verified weights confirming fords comments.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Ford has said on many occasions the voodoo crankshaft is lighter than the coyote and some discussion have said by over ten pounds. There have also been countless post discussing this and verified weights confirming fords comments.
I thought I read that before also and I look for an hour and can't find anything.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'd have do some searching to locate but a quick release from Ford on the engine has this and also talked about weight saving as a benefit of the FPC.

"The forged-steel flat-plane crankshaft is “gun drilled” to reduce total engine weight and to improve bay-to-bay cylinder breathing. ”

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I'd have do some searching to locate but a quick release from Ford on the engine has this and also talked about weight saving as a benefit of the FPC.

"The forged-steel flat-plane crankshaft is “gun drilled” to reduce total engine weight and to improve bay-to-bay cylinder breathing. ”
Most of the weight reduction is from the spray in liners and heads. 13 pounds lighter than a coyote If memory serves right

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
My point was the shop i was speaking to said if u want huge power with FI the FPC is not the way to go bc of inherant vibration. They recommended the coyote CPC swap into the Voodoo. The cranks they were talking about were modified and lightened to less than the Voodoo crank.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Saw this also.

In fact, Hameedi says that even with its hefty, vibration-absorbing dual-mass flywheel added in, the Voodoo still manages to have less total rotational inertia than the cross-plane crank-havin' Coyote.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
My point was the shop i was speaking to said if u want huge power with FI the FPC is not the way to go bc of inherant vibration. They recommended the coyote CPC swap into the Voodoo. The cranks they were talking about were modified and lightened to less than the Voodoo crank.
Totally agree with that if your going FI. I just saw the weight conversion and it got me curious again, it's been talked about so much but has one been weighed side by side.