Sponsored

Procharger bypass valve flutter

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I have about 700 miles on this procharger now, and yesterday after a short WOT run my bypass valve began fluttering between shifts. It also flutters when I'm driving regularly and coasting in town above 2500 ish RPMs. No flutter when in boost or anything like that. I did some searching and was wondering if this is likely the diaphragm issue a lot of people seemed to have had in the past. The other thing that I saw when searching was that a hose could have come off? Not sure which one would cause flutter though. I will get down and look at it but my work schedule won't allow it until tomorrow or Tuesday. Is this something that can harm the head unit, or is it nothing to worry about other than being annoying?

Edit with a short video of the sound, happens between shifts and while cruising in gear over 2000 RPMs:

See post 8 for resolution.
Sponsored

Last edited:

r1lovin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
This is definitely not something that should be happening. Check the vacuum source and check to make sure the arm on the bpv is not touching anything.

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
It will have to wait until Tuesday, but I'll look. I have to drive it tomorrow and monday to work. I have done a fair amount of searching and I think it's going to be a loose pin or a hole in the diaphragm. The most I can do until Tuesday is call procharger on Monday. It only flutters when coasting in gear above 2k ish and between shifts under boost.

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Bump, I added a video of the sound to the OP. I'm calling procharger about it today but since I haven't been able to take the front fascia off to get my hands on it I'd like to hear from others who might have some insight.

jlwilson10609

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Ruby Red
I'm just west of Atlanta with a spare proflow bypass valve if you want to try one, but yes this is odd.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I'm just west of Atlanta with a spare proflow bypass valve if you want to try one, but yes this is odd.
Depending on what procharger says, I may take you up on that. Either way it is appreciated. From all the googling I've done it appears that most of the time this is caused by either a faulty diaphragm or one of the pins holding the valve has backed itself out some. Hopefully it is one of the two problems; both of them seem like easy fixes.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Either your line has come off that operates the valve... or something is holding up its ability to function (IE: hitting something in the bumper)
(Or the items you listed)

9 out of the 10 times... its the line has come off that supplies it vacuum.

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Either your line has come off that operates the valve... or something is holding up its ability to function (IE: hitting something in the bumper)
(Or the items you listed)

9 out of the 10 times... its the line has come off that supplies it vacuum.
I actually spoke with a technician over there yesterday and he advised me that the linkage may be blocked by the bumper. ImI actually taking the front end off now to see what's going on. Thanks for replying, and i'll update this thread as soon as I get done. Wife is at the dentist so I may have to go pick her up before I can finish.

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Vacuum line is fine.taking the front off now. The only possible issue I see is that the piping to the bypass valve may be slightly kinked. Can't get a good picture of it though.

Edit: found the issue, will post once it is confirmed for anyone searching in the future.

Okay, the issue turned out to be a simple one. The plug on the vacuum manifold came off because I didn't use thread sealant. Lesson: use thread sealant where needed. I just ran to the local hardware store and picked up a 3/8" mpt threaded pipe plug and was as good as new. Attached picture shows the new plug. Hopefully this saves someone else a little trouble in the future.
http://imgur.com/gallery/gpyEnqB

Last edited:

Sponsored

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I had a similar issue, my BOV had tiny pin holes all over the diaphragm. It pushed out all the air through the blower, causing surge.
I replaced the diaphragm under warranty from Vortech and issue was resolved

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
How long did you have the kit installed on the car before that happened?

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I had the kit on my car since last year September but I did not drive my car much last year.
It didn't flutter when I first installed it and it was good all last year for the limited time I drove it (before winter).

But this year, I think it started happening about 2-3 weeks after I pulled it out for Summer.

My flutter sounded exactly like yours though, it drove me nuts. I checked all vacuum lines, did a smoke test, did a bunch of other shit I probably didn't need to do. But then I eventually ripped apart the BOV and found the defective diaphragm. I think it might have been bad from the start and it slowly got worse and worse.
Sponsored