Sponsored

Problem with PPF?

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
I’ve been hesitant to put PPF on my car because of images like this. Has there been an advancement in the materials that would keep it from turning into this image eventually?

IMG_1816.jpeg

IMG_1815.jpeg
Sponsored

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
If you leave any PPF on long enough in direct sun it will eventually develop issues. PPF isn't lifetime (regardless of what manufacturers may or may not tell you) and should be replaced periodically and that period will differ depending on where you live.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Find a good installer that uses high quality film such as XPEL or Stek. My guess with the above image is that a lower quality film was used and the install may have been of low quality as well.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If you leave any PPF on long enough in direct sun it will eventually develop issues. PPF isn't lifetime (regardless of what manufacturers may or may not tell you) and should be replaced periodically and that period will differ depending on where you live.
Agreed, nothing lasts forever. The higher quality films, if properly installed and maintained, should last a long time though. Stek and XPEL have 10 year warranties on their top line films now I believe.

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
@First Stang that's old school stuff. The 3M and Expel has come a long way. You won't have that problem.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I have XPEL PPF installed on my car and it looks great. The material is guaranteed/warrantied not to yellow or crack for 10 years. The appearance is one of a lightly polished finish, not fake or glassy. I do anticipate to begin to replace it after the warranty, but there's a lot that goes into that. Someone keeping their car outside 24/7 in AZ would replace theirs sooner. Someone with a seasonal garaged car, later.

The photos above, that could be Gen 1 PPF that's been on that vehicle for who knows how long. The materials and installation practices have improved greatly since.

I always recommend people tour a few shops, see their work and discuss your options. Most of the forward-facing areas, people focus on that. Consider having it installed along the rocker panels, wheel well sections, anywhere you're prone to receive or kick up rocks. Depending on how you feel about the car, how long you'll keep it, you could have more installed still.

ppf example 001.jpg

ppf example 002.jpg

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I’ve been hesitant to put PPF on my car because of images like this. Has there been an advancement in the materials that would keep it from turning into this image eventually?

IMG_1816.jpeg

IMG_1815.jpeg
It seems to me that is more a function of neglect than anything else. Really no different to me than those who won't clean their vehicle and drive around with mold on all the horizontal surfaces.
If someone cares and that condition started wouldn't you remove it, clean up the mess and either reapply or start a waxing regime?
Blaming that on the PPF seems too simplistic to me.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Have PPF... very happy with it. High impact zones can still pierce the film, but that would have been real damage without it.

When they say get bug guts off the car in a timely manner they mean it, otherwise it will leave a ghosting image if left on too long.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
You know for a fact that hunk of junk put trash film and did not take care of it. They have warranty as mentioned and worst case scenario you just remove it....

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Have PPF... very happy with it. High impact zones can still pierce the film, but that would have been real damage without it.

When they say get bug guts off the car in a timely manner they mean it, otherwise it will leave a ghosting image if left on too long.
I wish I would have got it earlier. Car is only year and half old and now I got to repair the stone chips before having it PPFed.

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
I got it on my front bumper only-which in my experience is where 90% of the damage happens.

I would stay away from 3m, on my wife's hood it got pretty cloudy within 2 or 3 years. 3M doesn't warranty it unless it cracks (from UV, not physical damage) or yellows.

SloppyTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 Race Red
I used Suntek Reaction and I haven't had a problem.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I'm no expert but anything put on will need to be removed and re-applied before it fails.

When you get PPF installed, the mfg states how long it will last and will advise it needs to be removed and re-applied before then.

If daily driven and in winter conditions, anything stuck on your car will deteriorate.

I won't be doing PPF as long as razors and other edged tools are required for application and removal. Have seen a number of people get burned with cuts in their paint from installation/removal.

rcald

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt L3483 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Had XPEL installed on front clip/A Pillars/Mirrors, will be three years in April along w Ceramic Coating, glad it was done. Car is garage kept w 35k miles, a few chips are visible, mostly lower front spoiler. Had some minor scratches on the hood but they self-healed. The work was expensive but glad I "Ponied" up! I'm a believer.....................
Sponsored