Precision 62mm ball bearing kit

StickShiftyFifty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang pp
Whats going on guys I have a question and new to the turbo world but i have a hellion 62mm twin turbo kit goin in my car soon. But before i do I wanted to upgrade the bearing from the hemispherical to the ceramic ball bearings.
I called Precision turbos and they wont sell the bearing kit, i would have to send the turbos in at a price of $800 a turbo.
I guess what im saying is, is there a kit that I can buy and have a turbo shop near my home install it?
Sponsored

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Contact Hellion before you do anything. They may be able to help out.

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
Why do you want the bb upgrade ? The journal bearing does fine for most folks. Unless you're doing a max effort deal, need the absolute best in throttle response, or plan on a lot of two step and drag action the bb isn't a necessity imo.

OP
OP
StickShiftyFifty

StickShiftyFifty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang pp
I wanted to go bb to reduce turbo lag

Sponsored

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
Twin 62s should spool pretty good for you. It definitely won't be a pig. The numbers I've seen only show ~10% in spool between journal and bb.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Why do you want the bb upgrade ? The journal bearing does fine for most folks. Unless you're doing a max effort deal, need the absolute best in throttle response, or plan on a lot of two step and drag action the bb isn't a necessity imo.
I have seen many of the JB turbos fail with this kit, including my own. Shaft play every time.

OP
OP
StickShiftyFifty

StickShiftyFifty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang pp
Thanks guys. The kit isn't new either, has about 5000 miles on it or so. I had the turbos inspected and everything is all in order. I was just thinking since i already have the turbos out and the fact that they are used it might of been a better options to replace the bearings with BB.but from what it sounds like from your comments its a unnecessary expense.

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
I have seen many of the JB turbos fail with this kit, including my own. Shaft play every time.
I wasn't aware this was a common issue. Have you and others that failed talked to hellion and precision about the failures ? Any explanation ?

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
I wasn't aware this was a common issue. Have you and others that failed talked to hellion and precision about the failures ? Any explanation ?
Precision says its due to the oil restrictors.

Hellion happily worked with me to get them repaired and upgraded.

Do you have the top mount kit with Precision JB turbos?

Sponsored

Manny231988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 2013 GT500
Hey bud I’m i the middle of my top mount install and I opted for the ball bearing upgrade as people have stated for longetivity and journal bearing failure with this kit I follow THE TURBO LAB on YouTube and that dude is always upgrading precision Turbos and converting to ball bearing maybe look them up see how much that would cost 800 a pop damm but ya price of this kit new runs away from you in a hurry my kit was over 10k quick

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
price of this kit new runs away from you in a hurry my kit was over 10k quick
lol yep. It was $8k to start...but then I added the HLX Screamer covers when they came out, 4-to-1 headers when they came out, and had to upgrade to ball bearing turbos. Plus I've also upgraded the oil drain setup, put on proper turbo blankets, etc. It adds up real fast in just a year lol.

OP
OP
StickShiftyFifty

StickShiftyFifty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang pp
Thanks for the info guys, I have the top mount kit with 62mm JB turbos.
I contacted hellion and waiting for a reply.

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
lol yep. It was $8k to start...but then I added the HLX Screamer covers when they came out, 4-to-1 headers when they came out, and had to upgrade to ball bearing turbos. Plus I've also upgraded the oil drain setup, put on proper turbo blankets, etc. It adds up real fast in just a year lol.

Any before and after numbers with the 4-1 headers. I’m considering upgrading while I have my motor out.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Any before and after numbers with the 4-1 headers. I’m considering upgrading while I have my motor out.
Nah haven't dynod it since I put the headers on and I haven't gotten any full track passes in since then either. I'll make a thread once I have some numbers.
Sponsored