Sponsored

Potential Knocking with Bama Tune

Johnjdpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem 50th App, Roush - AB, CAI, Tuned
I am currently having a problem with a Tune that I have received from Bama Performance (many tunes actually) and was wondering if a Dyno tune will solve my problems, or if there is potentially something worse going on.

Background:
Purchased the Roush CAI and removed the insert to make it stock diameter, received a 93 octane tune from Bama and it started knocking like crazy (I was told by Bama over the phone it was engine knocking -I had never heard it before-). I contacted them back and they said that it was caused due to the fact they did not fully support the Tune with the insert removed.

Issue:
They provided me a 93 Race tune (not taking into consideration the CAI with the insert put back in place), as it was technically stock. For a while when I drove, if I went WOT and went over 90Mph it seemed the knocking/pinging sound returned until I let off the gas. This was fairly hard for me to reproduce due to the legality of the circumstances needed so I cannot provide a sample YouTube clip of the noise.

Recently I called and told them about my issue above and they stated it could be related to the type of Gas I am purchasing (Shell gas) and that the additives in the Gas would lower the octane causing that to potentially occur. They also confirmed they now supported having the insert removed and that I should request a 91 Race tune to make up for the potential octane issue.

The issue is still occurring, what I believe to be a knocking/pinging sound when I hit 3rd at WOT about 4k RPM (90ish mph I believe).

Questions:
  • With the information above, does it seem that the "knocking" noise I am hearing could be tranny related and not the actual engine?
  • Would a Dyno tune by a local shop be worth the price to have them provide insight on the issue? What do these usually cost as I already have purchased the tunes from Bama?
  • Are there any tests that I can perform to try and determine the root cause of the noise?

The reason for my questions above is due to the fact that the Tune and CAI could cause some potential issues with my local dealership and I want to make sure that I am armed with the correct information (Knocking or Tranny issue) prior to speaking with them and invoking my ESP.

Thanks in advance for any insight or additional tests that I can perform to try and narrow the scope of the issue and what the cause could be.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Data logging and looking for knock retarding by the ECU is the best way to determine if it was really knock or not.

OP
OP

Johnjdpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Data logging and looking for knock retarding by the ECU is the best way to determine if it was really knock or not.
Thanks for the reply but it seems pretty dangerous to perform the data logging steps required by Bama per their documentation. I would have to Dyno it to get the proper numbers. At that point is it just worth paying to have a Dyno tune (or is that a lot more cost versus just a Dyno run to data log)?

Bama docs: https://support.bamaperformance.com/hc/en-us/articles/201369429-How-do-I-datalog-my-vehicle-

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
[MENTION=19063]Higgs Boson[/MENTION] thoughts on this issue?

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
maybe flash it back to stock and try it again?

I would expect the most knock at WOT, particularly in a tall gear

I don't have experience with engine tunes, but I suspect dyno is the safest most reliable option to make sure there isn't any knock at WOT in any gear:

How do I datalog my vehicle?

... All WOT logs should be done with the vehicle at full operating temperature. It is suggested to do this on a dyno or in a controlled ‘off-road” environment to avoid breaking any motor vehicle laws.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Johnjdpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe flash it back to stock and try it again?

I would expect the most knock at WOT, particularly in a tall gear

I don't have experience with engine tunes, but I suspect dyno is the safest most reliable option to make sure there isn't any knock at WOT in any gear:

How do I datalog my vehicle?

... All WOT logs should be done with the vehicle at full operating temperature. It is suggested to do this on a dyno or in a controlled ‘off-road” environment to avoid breaking any motor vehicle laws.
I was thinking to flash back to stock but then I will need to reconnect the CAI (which I want to keep as a last resort if possible). I appreciate the insight I just don't know the difference in cost to data log on a Dyno vs cost to Dyno tune.

To keep as safe as possible and risk little damage to the engine I am keeping off WOT in the meantime, just wanted to see what other thoughts people had and going back to stock CAI and stock tune is probably the best option. If it cost only $100-200 for a Dyno tune then I would rather do that in the meantime, but can't find any details online for pricing for data log vs Dyno tune.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
Thanks for the reply but it seems pretty dangerous to perform the data logging steps required by Bama per their documentation.[/url]
you cant find a road in texas to go from 15mph to 160mph with no issues? :lol: why did you go with bama, read enough about them recently to stay away

OP
OP

Johnjdpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you cant find a road in texas to go from 15mph to 160mph with no issues? :lol: why did you go with bama, read enough about them recently to stay away
Right?!?! Yea I had a Bama tune for my 05 V6 in California and had no problems so I thought that tune would seamlessly roll over to my S550 when I sold my 05. It has turned out to not be worth it but I am out the $150 more for "Free tunes for Life" so I am seeing my options before dropping them completely. Probably will end up with a Dyno tune depending on the cost.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
dyno tune is probably more than 100-200. Somewhere I saw $500.

I would flash back to stock, and then call around some local performance shops and get their advice. Driving "careful" isn't ideal.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
Right?!?! Yea I had a Bama tune for my 05 V6 in California and had no problems so I thought that tune would seamlessly roll over to my S550 when I sold my 05. It has turned out to not be worth it but I am out the $150 more for "Free tunes for Life" so I am seeing my options before dropping them completely. Probably will end up with a Dyno tune depending on the cost.
wait, you flashed your 05 tune to your new car?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Johnjdpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wait, you flashed your 05 tune to your new car?
Yes, as paul123@ stated, I paid another $150 to add a subscription for my new S550 and had Bama provide a new tune.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
for tunes and superchargers, I would like to have something like this. It may be be overkill, but it would still be fun.

http://www.plex-tuning.com/products/plex-knock-monitor-v2-0-new

The below examples contain only light knocking as we want to demonstrate the sensitivity of our instrument. This light knocking is not be audible with bear(sp?) ears only.

knock1.jpg

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ LoL ... I thought bears could hear pretty well. :p

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
[MENTION=19063]Higgs Boson[/MENTION] thoughts on this issue?
I agree, best thing to do is log it or try and read the plugs but that's not possible on the street.....

Without hearing it or being there or seeing the tune, stuff like this is hard to fix over the Internet. When I hear a nail in the tire someone else might hear an exhaust leak. Click click click click.....
Sponsored