Sponsored

Picked up my R and.....

bananastang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
But a bigger issue...with regards to the steering wheel. I noticed when I had it straight up, the car would veer to the left. On smooth roads, it would track straight with no hands on the wheel, but the wheel appears to be turned slightly to the right? It's annoying because the red stripe stares at you and it's hard to ignore it not being at 12 o'clock. Does this sound like a factory steering wheel install mis step or an alignment issue?
Always thought it was just me! my last several fords both cars and trucks(F350,GT350 and most recently my 17 raptor) the steering wheel is off to the right. tracks straight but bothers the crap out of me. I successfully just climbed under the car and loosened the tie rod locknut and rotated carefully about 90deg in same direction on both tie rods and viola ,straight wheel! please I don't recommend to do it this way, I am in auto service business 28 years and it comes pretty natural. I also have this old school alignment plate from 70's that you drive on and will show toe in or out based on scrub per mile. if it's 0 ,I leave it and eventually down the road i'll do my alignment the proper way.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kurac

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
A 7mm socket and 30 seconds is all it takes to fix that. The bumper sag is a little more challenging, but definitely a DIY driveway fix.
Thanks for the quick how to. Found the bolt to be completely loose. :shrug::doh:

OP
OP
Kurac

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Always thought it was just me! my last several fords both cars and trucks(F350,GT350 and most recently my 17 raptor) the steering wheel is off to the right. tracks straight but bothers the crap out of me. I successfully just climbed under the car and loosened the tie rod locknut and rotated carefully about 90deg in same direction on both tie rods and viola ,straight wheel! please I don't recommend to do it this way, I am in auto service business 28 years and it comes pretty natural. I also have this old school alignment plate from 70's that you drive on and will show toe in or out based on scrub per mile. if it's 0 ,I leave it and eventually down the road i'll do my alignment the proper way.
I'm going to make an appointment with my local dealer. If the steering wheel 12 o'clock locator stripe wasn't red, it may not have been noticeable.

Gilby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, 98 Cobra
I'm coming to visit (live near Ravenna) , I would love to see and feel what the R feels like compared to my tech.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Awesome. If you haven't already done the trip home, I'd throw some tape on the fender angle in front of the rear tires. It gets some significant abuse.
As well as the mirrors... those SC2s throw everything backwards. I ride with the windows down mostly and I even get sand chucked in the interior.

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If I'd known how much I'd like my GT350, I would have searched harder for a good deal on an R. Congratulations!

PencilGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR278, 2008 BMW M3
If I'd known how much I'd like my GT350, I would have searched harder for a good deal on an R. Congratulations!
I know...huh? If I had known how much I would like my R, I would have done it even sooner! As it is, I kind of "discovered" this car only after a friend asked me to help him locate one. He ended up buying the Corvette, and I ended up buying the R! :D

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kurac

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
As well as the mirrors... those SC2s throw everything backwards. I ride with the windows down mostly and I even get sand chucked in the interior.
The car is already home. Haven't washed it yet, but that painters tape pic was taken right before I left on my road trip. Expel install is happening Wednesday of next week.

OP
OP
Kurac

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Update.
I made an appointment with my local dealer that did my oil cooler line recall on my track pack. The tech took my car out for a short drive and came back. They can't put the car on their alignment rack as the R's splitter is too low and long. The tech and service advisor talked and decided my best shot was to go to the same owner's VW shop just down the road. I went with the tech and they let me shadow at their VW service center. Their rack is a little more low profile but still no way it was going up. A few of the techs rigged wooden ramps and the car just made it up on the ramp. The car was way out of alignment . All 4 wheels pointed to the left. WTF?? Their was no signs of curbing or pot hole damage or anything like that. Also, the tires were grossly over inflated to 42psi.

This was all covered under warranty. I'm hoping that's the end of the minor gremlins. There are some aspects of the R where the quality was better than my track pack, so hopefully all is well now. It's better than when it left the factory!!

On a side note, I'm going to have to take the car to the area Porsche dealer if I ever want to do a track alignment. Sheesh!

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
^^^ that might not be a bad thing. Porsche dealers are usually a lot more careful with customer vehicles (at least that's the case in Australia).

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
It could be either. During my time as a Ford mechanic, I witnessed a few cars come straight off the truck and having crooked steering wheels. The alignment is probably ok, but they probably just didn't get the steering wheel perfectly centered when aligning the suspension.
YGTBSM.

Really ? One buys a $80,000 car and the steering wheel is crooked ???

F Me. :shrug::crazy:

OP
OP
Kurac

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
YGTBSM.

Really ? One buys a $80,000 car and the steering wheel is crooked ???

F Me. :shrug::crazy:
For $80K, I'd be in something else. ;)
Sponsored